Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2012, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Canary Island Date Palm

Looking to get all the info possible about maintaining them. From bugs, pruning, fert, and so on Anything and everything.

We have a newer account. We basically did part of landscape at 1st. which turned into maintaining the beds and so on. Today they ask us to "oversee" the landscape. Living out of state. They come home to things that have been neglected for whatever the reason. Basically let us handle the details so they can relax when they are here. Also they are tired of the blame game and smoke being blown up their rear end.

We now have a $1500 date palm under our wing. We are not maintaining it but we do need to look over their shoulder.

TIA
Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok, first things first. Do NOT remove anything more than dead fronds and fruits. These palms look best when they look majestic, not like a pineapple. Second, fertilize with 8-2-12 palm fert as directed by U of F. Do this 4 times/year as these are heavy feeders here. Potassium and Mg deficiencies are most common and can take a year plus to correct once they have these. Third, this is a desert palm so the less irrigation the better. Third, when pruning make sure tools are sanitized as these can get Fusarium and the way that is spread is by unclean tools.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2012, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Forgot about bugs. Date scale and weevils are most common. Pests are typically a secondary response to a sick plant so keeping up on the fert and not hacking the palm back will likely prevent that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Ok, first things first. Do NOT remove anything more than dead fronds and fruits. These palms look best when they look majestic, not like a pineapple. Posted via Mobile Device
Feel that way about all palms personally.
Thanks I'm looking to confirm the knowledge that i already have and/or learn some more. The "real word" knowledge is worth its weight in gold. I'm doing an IFAS search next. See what I can turn up.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

God I hate those palms. Took one throne into the forehead last weekend playing gold. Almost got it in the eye.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A bud drench of acephate and a root drench of imidacloprid a couple times a year to prevent boring insects.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Giant palm weevils CAN indeed be a bad situation for the Phoenix canariensis (and similar crosses). As previously stated, palms weakened by other forces are first to be attacked. I'm thinking methane gas given off by the "sick" palms attracts the weevils. Anyway, they can kill the plant. Additionally, a bud rot fungus (probably Phytophthora, usually in the humid summer months) can finish the plant too. Quarterly bud drenches with fungicide, insecticide and soluble fertilizer along with granular root feeding is our approach. These palms often show Mg deficiencies too so some added Mg is helpful.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Did a surprise visit on the guy trimming the palm today. He did not sanitize the tools. Also cutting the hell out of good fronds while tiring to remove the fruit/seed pods. Hack down fronds with just a little brown on the tips. Including a frond near the center with 10" of brown on the tip.

Going to recommend that they look into someone else trimming it.

Got a lot of weed growing in the thatch between fronds. Any good ideas on preventing or kill the weed growth. Spraying higher up the tree could drift onto the plants underneath /surrounding the palm. The growth is probably from ground level to about 6' high.

Also it has one wide leaf fern growing on it. I think it adds personality. However, I would not want it to take over the palm. I see the smaller leafed fern covering the date palms all over. Specifically the unmaintained ones. What do you think keep or remove?

BTW the HO hired a quality spray guy to treat the palm quarterly. When ever we are hired to oversee a property. We always try to give the current maintenance company a chance. But, we always take over some part of the maintenance. I tell the current guys. I don't want your job. I like getting paid to do no almost nothing. If you screw up. Then I have to work to correct you. Spend time to fire you. then take on the work my self and clean up you mess. I guess I should be nicer, I was ignorant at one time myself!
Old 03-03-2012, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-City Outdoors View Post
Did a surprise visit on the guy trimming the palm today. He did not sanitize the tools. Also cutting the hell out of good fronds while tiring to remove the fruit/seed pods. Hack down fronds with just a little brown on the tips. Including a frond near the center with 10" of brown on the tip.

Going to recommend that they look into someone else trimming it.

Got a lot of weed growing in the thatch between fronds. Any good ideas on preventing or kill the weed growth. Spraying higher up the tree could drift onto the plants underneath /surrounding the palm. The growth is probably from ground level to about 6' high.

Also it has one wide leaf fern growing on it. I think it adds personality. However, I would not want it to take over the palm. I see the smaller leafed fern covering the date palms all over. Specifically the unmaintained ones. What do you think keep or remove?

BTW the HO hired a quality spray guy to treat the palm quarterly. When ever we are hired to oversee a property. We always try to give the current maintenance company a chance. But, we always take over some part of the maintenance. I tell the current guys. I don't want your job. I like getting paid to do no almost nothing. If you screw up. Then I have to work to correct you. Spend time to fire you. then take on the work my self and clean up you mess. I guess I should be nicer, I was ignorant at one time myself!
This is typical of "tree professionals" in Florida. I have yet to see a 15'+ CIDP that looks awesome. Most have small trunks with small canopies. People water the he'll out of them, don't use proper fert, and take everything off the canopy. If you've ever been out to California, you will see what a nice canary looks like. As far as the ferns go, someone will have to get up in the palm and remove them by the roots if you don't want them anymore. They like the fibrous material and make nice homes on Phoenix palms.
Posted via Mobile Device