Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2012, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't want to start a fight and probably shouldn't comment but I can't help myself:

You guys sure are haphazard about a bid of this size, just throwing out figures the way you are. Good way to lose your shirt. Also, OP, it is normal procedure on these forums to give us your figure and let us comment from there.

Also, what are the job specs? You are asked about the warranty and you reply
one year "most likely." Is it or isn't it one year?

How do you plan on digging the holes and moving the 8" caliper trees?

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 02-12-2012, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

depends on are you hand digging the holes or are you using a machine, but id say basic tree you should be able to do two and hour, shrubs should get 4 to 5 an hour, etc plus it depends on the ground as well, is it rocky, muddy, clay, sandy wet, dry etc.

2008 Gmc Sierra
2014 Kubota z122 48 in hydrostat mower
2014 tophat 7x14 landscape trailer
fs 90 r trimmer
21 inch troy built self propelled mower
26 in craftsman snowblower
Old 02-12-2012, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry night View Post
I don't want to start a fight and probably shouldn't comment but I can't help myself:

You guys sure are haphazard about a bid of this size, just throwing out figures the way you are. Good way to lose your shirt. Also, OP, it is normal procedure on these forums to give us your figure and let us comment from there.

Also, what are the job specs? You are asked about the warranty and you reply
one year "most likely." Is it or isn't it one year?

How do you plan on digging the holes and moving the 8" caliper trees?
warranty is not stated in the bid. im aiming for 90 days, but i will max warranty for 1 year, so im going with the highest. Holes will be dug with an auger, possibly a mini-ex. 8" caliper trees will be moved with my wheel loader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSantolandscaping View Post
depends on are you hand digging the holes or are you using a machine, but id say basic tree you should be able to do two and hour, shrubs should get 4 to 5 an hour, etc plus it depends on the ground as well, is it rocky, muddy, clay, sandy wet, dry etc.
holes will be dug via bobcat auger.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Birdturd, Have you ever done a landscaping job with any large trees?
Do you have any idea the size of the standard root ball for 8" trees?
Do you have any idea of the standard root ball for 3-4" trees?

Anyone with experience would suggest several man hours for the complete handling each of the 8" and at least a couple hours each for even the 3-4" and that is if you are working in decent soil.

If no warranty is stated in the specs why would you offer one? And certainly with a job of this scope, there must be a warranty. Better check the specs again.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Birdturd, Have you ever done a landscaping job with any large trees?
Do you have any idea the size of the standard root ball for 8" trees?
Do you have any idea of the standard root ball for 3-4" trees?

Anyone with experience would suggest several man hours for the complete handling each of the 8" and at least a couple hours each for even the 3-4" and that is if you are working in decent soil.
Never a landscaping with 8" cal trees.
i was thinking about 8ft wide, 4ft tall. roughly 6,000#. for the 8" cal?
i have installed 3" cal trees in the past, never 41 of them, and the holes were hand dug.

Im looking for some help on productivity times so i can price out the job a little better.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

So, when you installed a 3" tree, what was the amount of time for that one tree? including digging the hole, unloading the tree, moving the tree, getting the tree into the hole, backfilling properly, staking, wrapping.

And then remember, you'll be so dang tired after doing about five of these, that each of the rest will take longer.

My best advice is to either bid this job real high or don't bid it at all, probably the latter until you have more experience. If you were ready, you wouldn't be asking these questions.

How many men do you have working for you?

And don't accept anyone's opinion about what to bid. Not even mine...... which could easily be $200,000.
BTW I have been in business for nearly 30 years.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
So, when you installed a 3" tree, what was the amount of time for that one tree? including digging the hole, unloading the tree, moving the tree, getting the tree into the hole, backfilling properly, staking, wrapping.

And then remember, you'll be so dang tired after doing about five of these, that each of the rest will take longer.

My best advice is to either bid this job real high or don't bid it at all, probably the latter until you have more experience. If you were ready, you wouldn't be asking these questions.

How many men do you have working for you?

And don't accept anyone's opinion about what to bid. Not even mine...... which could easily be $200,000.
BTW I have been in business for nearly 30 years.

We did an install with 6 - 3" cal tulip trees and about 50 6ft leylands. The plants arrived to the jobsite a little after lunch. The holes were pretty much dug when the plants arrived except a few. The job was finished with mulch by 6. I dont really have an exact figure for productivity from this job because we were haphazard all over and didn't consistently plant just the trees.

We have 4 full time men and 3-4 seasonal. We also run a garden center and recycling facility.

Im looking for some opinion on productivity, im not looking for a price. Thanks
Old 02-12-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

IMO there are many things wrong with this post, but even with machinery digging holes and setting trees to plant properly there is a good bit of handwork--this is what separates the professionals from the pretenders. This job sounds out of the league of the OP
Old 02-14-2012, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Agreed SD, this is not a job you should be bidding. 8" trees should be planted with a 90"-100" tree spade...41 trees should be planted by using an auger on the front of your skid to dig holes...there are hundreds of yards of topsoil that you will need + mulch...if your not sure of the warranty dont assume,ask! if its a commercial job the city/township may require a 2 year warranty and they will want all trees/shrubs planted according to their specs or they will make you pull them out and replant. What type of shrubs, are some evergreens? are they exposed to wind? what is the soil like? I could go on and on...this sounds like a recipe for disaster. Dont bid a job just to bid it, you would never be awarded this job unless everyone involved has no idea what theyre doing, which will just land you in court. If you turn in a low bid you may end up screwing the qualified contractor that does get awarded this work. I know this is not what you want to hear but it is the truth, work your way up from small jobs. This is the problem with bid packets being sent to anyone with a "landscaping" company these days, keep working hard and you will be able to bid jobs like this soon enough without asking for any help...Good luck!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Member

FYI, this job could range anywhere from $100,000-$150,000 depending on the specifics and possibly more. As a general rule never bid plant material less than 2.5-3.0 x cost, thats not including mulch, topsoil, edging, etc...irrigated area vs non irrigated area, clay soil vs sand, commercial vs residential. There are so many variables to take into account and be knowledgeable on, everyone should take the appropriate time to learn