Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2012, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Right!

Right @scottslawn, almost every thread i see has someone playing devil's advocate. Everybody knew what I meant... so i thought anyway.... besides @djagusch.

Rodney King asked "Can't we all get along?"

The answer is NO. My saying is "You gotta grow up sometime.... PICK A DAY."
...ANY ole day will do.

...this is a LAWN CHAT-SITE, the "Horticulture Nazi" will not be checking our grammar.

..p.s. @people that do not understand the questions that I pose, just don't reply.... IT'S THAT EASY, I Refuse to make everything comprehensible by a 2nd grader.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottslawncareav View Post
Every body has a party pooper today that party pooper is you
Just keeping people with a real perspective in life.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2012, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classy View Post
Right @scottslawn, almost every thread i see has someone playing devil's advocate. Everybody knew what I meant... so i thought anyway.... besides @djagusch.

Rodney King asked "Can't we all get along?"

The answer is NO. My saying is "You gotta grow up sometime.... PICK A DAY."
...ANY ole day will do.

...this is a LAWN CHAT-SITE, the "Horticulture Nazi" will not be checking our grammar.

..p.s. @people that do not understand the questions that I pose, just don't reply.... IT'S THAT EASY, I Refuse to make everything comprehensible by a 2nd grader.
There is a lot of guys that truely believe a hedgeclipper is their most profitable piece of equipment. Its also the same people that come in the biz for 2yrs, lower prices to get work, then leave the biz because they can't make any money. So its those people that need it broke down to the 2nd grader level.

To look at the profit of a machine on what you paid for it is being pretty pointless. Especially when it makes up a percent or so of a persons gross sales.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2012, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Once again it depends.

There are very few outfits that specialize in hedges. @all @djagusch. %30-%42 of my service requests request hedges. Anyone can cut a hedge, what it looks like when you're through, I'm going to assume you know is a COMPLETELY different subject. How complete the Initial landscape layout is fullfilled is a subject most people never contemplate (mostly customers). Allowing a "see-saw" hedge to never recover the dips happens ALOT.

REAL Hedge attention - is like the Pink Elephant in the room. With a person that specializes in Hedges it becomes an Emerging Market. Perhaps not in your area, but here, there are MANY cut-and-runs, that DO NOT touch hedges. And when they do, it looks like ........ Unlike grass, as you know, hedges DO NOT necessarily ever recover.

These are just a few of the angles I present to everyone here, and definitely to the customer. There ARE NOT many people in this industry that are GOOD at hedges. Depending how you market your hedging skills, they have the ability to secure extremely good customers and relations.

There is special equipment just for hedge trimming from the Genies to the Henchmans. (going to go on a limb and assume you realize all the actual cutting machines). And you're wrong, there are Topiary companies out there, and yes, Topiary are hedges. Perhaps you aren't into that side of the biz, but others are, and it does exist. There aren't many companies that are Hedges/Topiary only, which is good, as the number one sin in business is COMPETITION. So a company that offers and CAN PROVIDE extensive HEDGE work, will set themselves apart from the rest of the pack. Most companies do not even have the talent on staff to MAINTAIN Topiary. I understand you not being aware of these things, it is an interest that I and VERY FEW others have.

EVERYBODY has a lawn mower, anyone can make grass look "reasonable", but FEW can do hedges right. It only takes ONE guy to break your hedge forever. And I show the customer where this is taking place on their property, so yes, Hedge "related" activity "assists" with bringing in a large portion of profits.

I could write 2 or 3 pages on this, am I taking this too far guys? @all
ENOUGH!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

^^^^ Classy, your absolutly right, I am always amazed at some of the hedge jobs I see, I myself can't claim expert at the topic, but I would pay a good hedge guy well if I ever find one, it's defintily an art form.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

all these answers are good but how about my truck. with out it nothing would get done. no trailer could move around,no equipment would leave the shop i could not go out and give estimates. and when winter came the plow would not have place to attach to.
so the truck is how all the money is made.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

What are we looking for here most per hour, or most billable hours, or best return on the smallest investment?

Hedges are nice I have 4 of the hs45s 2 of the extension trimmers one a km that can reach 11 ft. But they only bring in $10,000 a year for me, still its at a time when nothing else it going on so its most welcome.

Now the perma green makes us $200 an hour but now you got expenses other then just fuel.

Now my most profitable machine per hour is the lesco lawn renovator (which is a slit seeder) no questions asked. But I get only 2 or 3 days a year on it and only a few hours of work on those days but when you have solid work lined up she can make $500 an hour.

But the mowers have to be the best they last what seems forever we have one with 4750 hours on it which means that machine alone has made us $500,000
Old 02-15-2012, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my v box salt spreaders. Paid them both off first 2 storms and made $20,000 with them last year

2011 extended cab f250
2011 f550

06 c6500
FINN bb302 Bark Blower
06 vermeer bc1000XL 12" chipper
2 salt dogg v- box spreaders
8ftsnow dogg plow

9ft snow dogg plow
/2004 New Holland LS180

20 yrs old
Old 02-15-2012, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Exactly!

WOW @Kelly,yes... best return on smallest investment. Between your slicer and a plain shovel, one of those looks the most profitable. I like the responses on this topic, I've learned alot about how others are profiting, and of course it's a good question to ask even ourselves.

Sweet @Guzzo, we never have a need for salt, so that gives me another view of this biz, thanks for the responses!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKoester View Post
My shovels are pretty good money makers. Planting is where its at.
I completely agree! I almost hear a "cha-ching" every time a shrub or tree goes into the ground.