Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2012, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Rattle can paint job?

Well Im thinking about painting my ugly white ford work truck soon. Thinking of painting it with rustoleum spray paint. Im cheap. So has anyone on here done this and if so could you post some pictures? Im going from work truck white to lime green and having the truck lettered with orange afterwards. The concept looks good in my head but once I start painting there is no turning back. Just want the truck to stick out like a sore thumb and look decent from 50 feet.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have spray bombed lots of crappy vehicles and generally it works o.k. .The paint is not durable ,it scratches easily ,and its tricky to get an even coat .My son bought a dodge stratus a few years back for $65.00 ,and he read about the rustoleum roller paint job ,so we tried it for a laugh .That car turned out looking great for the two years he owned it ,but it took us pretty much a week of fooling with it in our spare time .I could of sprayed the same paint with my gun and been done in a day or two with a lot less sanding .Google $100.00 rustoleum paint job for much more info .
Old 02-11-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just rattle canned my 18' gooseneck dump. Took 20 cans of black. If u have a decent sized air compressor, get a cheap paint gun and spray the truck. If I was keeping the trailer , I would gone that route. And always remember, the better the prep job, the better the final product will look.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2012, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also,if your going to rattle can it ,get yourself one of those spray can trigger handles ,your fingers will definately thank you for it , generally a full size truck can be done with about 10 spray bombs depending on your skills ,pickiness and choice of colour ,and definately get fast dry paint as all kinds of crap will land in your new paint while its drying
Old 02-11-2012, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is Earl Scheib still around? Electrobake? Maaco? They used to have some dirt cheap jobs available.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2012, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Is Earl Scheib still around? Electrobake? Maaco? They used to have some dirt cheap jobs available.
Posted via Mobile Device
I considered going with one of those guys. The way I see it there is no point in a $1000-2000 paint job on a lawn truck that hauls mulch, mowers, and mexicans.

Yeah I have a spray gun and compressor but really like the finnish of this particular paint that can only be found in a 12oz rattle can. Plus, no clean up, just chunk the can in the trash when empty. I might go see the sherwin williams guys and see if their acrlyc enamal is decent enough for the price in bulk and thin it out 50/50.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure you prep it right since you will have it lettered. I shot a few cars and trucks in my time. If I had the gun and a garage I would go that route.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealcutter View Post
Make sure you prep it right since you will have it lettered. I shot a few cars and trucks in my time. If I had the gun and a garage I would go that route.
I have to be honest, the only prep work I plant to do is pressure wash the flaking white paint off and maybe remove the f250 badges. Not planning to sand or prime. We'll see. I am going to test this out on the inside of the tailgait first to see how bad it will look. Seriously just looking for a 50ft paint job. Also a $50 paint job at that.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

it would take an hour to do a quick sand with 320 grit ,you can even get one of your mexicans to do it if you wish .
Old 02-12-2012, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StihlMechanic View Post
I considered going with one of those guys. The way I see it there is no point in a $1000-2000 paint job on a lawn truck that hauls mulch, mowers, and mexicans.

Yeah I have a spray gun and compressor but really like the finnish of this particular paint that can only be found in a 12oz rattle can. Plus, no clean up, just chunk the can in the trash when empty. I might go see the sherwin williams guys and see if their acrlyc enamal is decent enough for the price in bulk and thin it out 50/50.
Don't forget the boss