Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2012, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Estimate / sign contract right then and there

So I've been racking my brain with different ways to get customers to turn their estimates into signed contract right then and there . So this yr i'm offering a 10% off your spring clean up with signing of contract right then and there ! I want to have a carbon 2 part copy form made up for this.

So my question is has anyone do this ??? and has it worked ?? if so i'm kind of torn on how to make the "contract" part of short and sweet for the typical homeowner. Any suggestions or actual contract ideas or finding on how it worked for you ????? Thank you !
Old 02-12-2012, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd do it, but call it a service agreement.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do it also. I just make extra copies from my laptop. I carry them with me at all times. I fill out 2 contracts they sign both and give me 1st months payment at signing. Then i leave them 1 of the 2 for their copy.
I also call them agreements.

It's the only job i know,
Where i can walk in circles and talk to myself
And no one thinks i'm crazy.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I've been doing the computer generated ones but I didnt know if this would be alot easier and less time infront of a customer writing up two copies at the truck while they wait.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a laptop and printer mounted in my truck. When I do an install consult or simple fertilizer proposal I enter the specific info into the computer and print of two copies. On installs, a number of clients have signed the proposal/contract right on the spot even though they have mentioned they are still waiting for another contractors bid. On doing Fertilizer proposals which are closer to a maintenance agreement, last season we had a 82% closing rate when we were able to present the proposal and ask for a signature during the estimate. When we left the estimate and contacted them later for the sale, our closing rate was closer to 40%
Old 02-12-2012, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Member

thats a nice set up to have in your truck ! cant afford to have that in mine no room for any of that. some day maybe
Old 02-12-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The shorter the sales cycle the better! it makes sense that you would have a much better close ratio with an on site set up. I have proposals, not contracts, never use the word contract or salesman when talking to a customer, it's estimate, proposal, service agreement, and Project managers are our salesman.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
The shorter the sales cycle the better! it makes sense that you would have a much better close ratio with an on site set up. I have proposals, not contracts, never use the word contract or salesman when talking to a customer, it's estimate, proposal, service agreement, and Project managers are our salesman.
Does that word "contract" do you guys find scare people away ? some other people i've talked to said that a signed service agreement with people make the customer feel better about signing with your company .... i never thought of that before . do you guys find it to help out talk with potential or currant customers that it would sell more jobs that way ???
Old 02-12-2012, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquechev View Post
Does that word "contract" do you guys find scare people away ? some other people i've talked to said that a signed service agreement with people make the customer feel better about signing with your company .... i never thought of that before . do you guys find it to help out talk with potential or currant customers that it would sell more jobs that way ???
Absolutely, for us "contracts" are for installs. For routine seasonal services such as our fertilizer/pesticide programs we use "proposals" or "service agreements". Basically the service agreements spell out the service we will provide and the terms and conditions the customer agrees to and can be cancelled by either party at any time, where as a contract for installs is binding and can not be terminated by the customer

I think many potential clients could get scared of from the term "contract" for service/maintenance because it gives the idea that it is a binding contract.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

thats a great point ! I've joined a networking company this year to try and drum up alot of new customers and I want to make up a two part carbon copy or printable forms i can take with me to do out the price right then and there to try and get the work before i leave them that way another company is less likely to come in and swip the work from me. I really want to double my list of lawn cuts cleanups etc this yr ! any one have any other ideas with ways to do this kind of dramatic increase that has worked for you ?