Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2012, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

below freezing temps

Is it the below freezing temps or frost that cause damage(browing) to the grass? I had below freezing temps last night but no frost. Thanks
Old 02-12-2012, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
Is it the below freezing temps or frost that cause damage(browing) to the grass? I had below freezing temps last night but no frost. Thanks
If you did have frost on the turf last night you most likely will not see the results of it until last night. Generally it is the frost settling that does the damage I believe and not so much just the cold temps. Also wind burn/damage is common and from when I was out last night I do not doubt we will see a bit of it as well as it was windy as heck.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mikey

I am a 100 +miles south and closer to water from you and I believe we just missed the freeze. Heavy winds last night helped stop any frost so my area just might of dodged the bullet.

Late Freezes on some plants after a warm winter can take a couple of years to fully recover. I have seen it happen back in either 1994 or 95?

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the worst is to come tonight. I hit around 37 last night, but tonight, its suppose to go to 30 for a couple of hours with light winds.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can running the sprinklers hurt or help protect the grass? I know they do this to the citrus to keep the fruit from going bad. I figured if you water the grass the ice might protect it. I might be wrong on this. Or is it best just to keep sprinklers off. I would really like to keep my grass nice and green as much as possible. Thanks
Old 02-12-2012, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

from what I read and heard, unless you are running the sprinklers continuously, you can do more harm then good to the plant. time to cover them up to protect from frost. I just got my bermuda lawn looking green and like a carpet again, and back to brown it goes with a frost, not to mention my sickly looking royal palms, from the last freeze/frost.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bill is correct the water must be continuously and evenly applied or you will actually do more damage. I live in the sticks and my temp right now at 10:30 am is only 43, we could have damage similar to what Ric was talking about in earlier threads. A lot of citrus has started blooming out here and I don't want to even think about all the Oak and Maple leaves coming down again.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Updated forecast for tonight 29 degrees.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...&FcstType=text
Old 02-12-2012, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I had a nursery standard protocol was to run the sprinklers during the day to saturate the ground. Then turn them off at dark and try and cover as much as possible. The water helped hold the ground heat and stop minor frost and freeze. Citrus people do it different as do many others, but this worked for me.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

When I had a nursery standard protocol was to run the sprinklers during the day to saturate the ground. Then turn them off at dark and try and cover as much as possible. The water helped hold the ground heat and stop minor frost and freeze. Citrus people do it different as do many others, but this worked for me.

This is exactly what most home owners should do since they cannot run all of their irrigation zones at once.