Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-18-2012, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it true that if a company has been in business for a long period time and has had an internet presence for many years that that has contributed to their ranking on google?
I know I have a couple of company's around here that have been in business for 20+ years, so it would probably be very difficult to be atop them correct?
I mean, I don't want to be FIRST, but I'd at least like to make it to the first page. People don't go much past the first, maybe second page in this industry. They're not going to put much effort into research for lawn service.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Lawn, mowing, service, Tampa.
I would be surprised if he didn't rank highly with that site. Comparing that site to the #4 result, on a purely SEO basis, makes it look like a typical final score for a #1 vs #16 game in the opening round of the NCAA basketball tourney.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So if I'm understanding you right. Greenguygrass.com ranks so high based largely on his business name? That would severely limit someones ability to rise in ranking if their business names don't include those keywords. How do customers feel about web addys that don't even come close to the company name reagrdless if they end up at your site?
Old 02-18-2012, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Troll View Post
You can get a free account with this serp tool
http://serpiq.com
put your keyword and url in the appropriate places and see what your on page and off page seo look like,

it will at least give you bench marks to help improve your serp's.
How do you work this? And what does serp stand for?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefet View Post
Is it true that if a company has been in business for a long period time and has had an internet presence for many years that that has contributed to their ranking on google?

I know I have a couple of company's around here that have been in business for 20+ years, so it would probably be very difficult to be atop them correct?
You seem to be asking two different questions, or at least blurring the line a bit with what your asking in the above quote snippet, so I'll address it two ways.

- Yes, domain longevity contributes to ranking, but not purely for that surface-view reason. Domain name age, according to Google in-house guru Matt Cutts, does not factor it in. If a site has been around for 10 years, and is useful to someone via it's content, or has been linked to from other relevant sites, then this contributes to it's ranking. Look at it this way, you could have a 35 yr old guy who still lives in mom's basement and does little to contribute to functional society. His identical twin brother is a 35 yr old neurosurgeon. They are both 35 years of age, and identical in every visual respect, but that's where the comparisons, and inherent usefulness, end.

- It's not difficult to top another business, regardless of years in business, but it comes down to how much effort do you want to spend doing it? I know that when it comes to my clients, I view it as a sporting competition, and attack it as such. I have plenty of previous customers, and one current high-revenue, high-traffic site, that I could eclipse due to budgetary (and subsequent effort) reasons. One is happy doing 40k month in retail sales while dominating 1-7 on Google, depending on keyword. If they wanted to spend the budget, they could raise all of those to 1-4, but it all comes down to business views and ROI.

Here's the biggest thing...just build a good site, relevant site. Follow the guidelines for SEO-friendly code. Add good content to your site.

Here's a 2010 video from Matt Cutts that gives his views.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pnpg00FWJY
Old 02-18-2012, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
So if I'm understanding you right. Greenguygrass.com ranks so high based largely on his business name? That would severely limit someones ability to rise in ranking if their business names don't include those keywords.

How do customers feel about web addys that don't even come close to the company name reagrdless if they end up at your site?
- Domain name has very little to do with search ranking, and hasn't since the early to mid 2000s. Look at the vast number of tech companies who have names like "eFloopSchmu.com, the premiere leader in...carpet stain remover.".

-I would discourage anyone from doing that at all costs. Someone posted a site for review the other day that was done by a web guy who's domain name isn't even close to the name of his web design business. How do you tell a customer, "Hi, I'm John from Green Envy Cut Pros and I'd like you to head to our website to look at some great pics of our work and testimonials from our happy customers. Just visit us at www.clownpenis.fart/lawn-care-persons"

If you've seen the old SNL sketch re: domain name availability, give yourself +1. lol
Old 02-18-2012, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

@tonygreek:
Thanks for answering my question. Not sure I understand what you mean by asking 2 different questions but you answered it.

I too view it as you so if I COULD land at the number one spot, guess who would be the happiest camper of all? I can't say I would want to blow the budget on it, but I would like to be at least counted among the top numbers.

And thank you for jumping in here and picking up where others seem to have......... left off..........
Old 02-18-2012, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

After you've begun implementing some of these changes, at what point should you start seeing results? How often should you be checking other sites, analyzing stuff, making changes? Daily, weekly, bi-weekly (dreaded word in the lawn care industry) montly?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefet View Post
@tonygreek:
Thanks for answering my question. Not sure I understand what you mean by asking 2 different questions but you answered it.
Sorry, I could have been more clear since you weren't actually asking a similar questions two diff ways. I read it as...
1. )A company with a several years old web presence.
2.) A 20+ year old company who turned on a first-time site tomorrow gets instant SEO juice because it's a 20+ year old company.

As for when could you start seeing results? There's the rub. There's no set schedule, but once you start ranking higher, you'll see the engines hitting your site with more frequency. Good work equals good results. Monitor your analytics reports and see when the engines are hitting you, as well as who may be picking up your site to link for some reason or another.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know we all sound like a bunch of clueless dipwads. A few of us have realized print form advertising is getting old quick. I have resolved to invest my marketing dollars differently this year. I will pay someone to design, construct, update and maintain a website for me. This is money previously put into print marketing. I just want to know when a web guy is telling me straight or throwing around big words with smoke and mirrors. What is normal pricing for 5-7 pages, payment links and monthly update maintenence? Is there a normal price? More than a few of us have great anxiety over this thinking we are missing the boat. We're lawn guys and are feeling like the dumbest smart people in the room.

Tags
facebook , google , ppc , search engine , wordpress