Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-18-2012, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I know we all sound like a bunch of clueless dipwads. A few of us have realized print form advertising is getting old quick. I have resolved to invest my marketing dollars differently this year. I will pay someone to design, construct, update and maintain a website for me. This is money previously put into print marketing. I just want to know when a web guy is telling me straight or throwing around big words with smoke and mirrors. What is normal pricing for 5-7 pages, payment links and monthly update maintenence? Is there a normal price? More than a few of us have great anxiety over this thinking we are missing the boat. We're lawn guys and are feeling like the dumbest smart people in the room.
Not at all. You're no different than anyone else who doesn't do this as a serious hobby or profession. You have as much experience with my software applications as I have with your lawn applications. Sure, we can all learn to do it, or have it explained to us and give it our best shot, but we all recognize the vast number of factors that can weigh-in to each "application".

I will say that anyone who puts together a web package that is based on number of pages is doing so in an antiquated way as it means very little. What is a "page"? A gallery page of your previous work is a very different effort level than a page that has your contact info and a map to your offices. If I say it's $250 to add each additional page, as an a la carte item, it doesn't make good business sense for either of us due to the unknowns. Each web project should be looked at as "what you really need and what's the total cost going to be".

I would guess it's been at least 10 years since I've billed anyone via the pages method.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep! Dipwad #1 right here!! So true Patriot, print advertising is getting old. That's why this has been our main focus on this year. We're still going to do some form of print, and always will. It's just, if you're gonna run with the big dogs, GET OFF THE PORCH!!

Our next endeavor will be the mobile site. More and more people are using smart phones and tablets. I just want them all to flow seemlessy.

Another question: Where could one go to find a "glossary of terms" used in this particular industry. I feel like an extra dipwad when I have to ask what something means, BEFORE I ask how to use it or what have you. Like SEO, and serp, and links, and on and on and on..
Old 02-18-2012, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Patriot, forgot to add that there is no typical price. There are ballparks, but do you need a logo designed or edited to be usable on the web? (I see A LOT of bad logos on otherwise decent LCO sites because the effort to manage their own brand was not effectively executed or from the attitude of "it's good enough for want I want to do".) Do you have photos ready to go for your gallery of work? Are those photos cleaned up enough to use or does your designer need to work with each photo's lighting/color/etc to compensate for a lack of professional photography? It's those kinds of questions that make it difficult to throw out a "typical".
Old 02-18-2012, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=tonygreek;4316459]Sorry, I could have been more clear since you weren't actually asking a similar questions two diff ways. I read it as...
1. )A company with a several years old web presence.
2.) A 20+ year old company who turned on a first-time site tomorrow gets instant SEO juice because it's a 20+ year old company.

As for when could you start seeing results? There's the rub. There's no set schedule, but once you start ranking higher, you'll see the engines hitting your site with more frequency. Good work equals good results. Monitor your analytics reports and see when the engines are hitting you, as well as who may be picking up your site to link for some reason or another.[/QUOTE]

Can you explain that a little more?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefet View Post
Yep! Dipwad #1 right here!! So true Patriot, print advertising is getting old. That's why this has been our main focus on this year. We're still going to do some form of print, and always will. It's just, if you're gonna run with the big dogs, GET OFF THE PORCH!!

Our next endeavor will be the mobile site. More and more people are using smart phones and tablets. I just want them all to flow seemlessy.

Another question: Where could one go to find a "glossary of terms" used in this particular industry. I feel like an extra dipwad when I have to ask what something means, BEFORE I ask how to use it or what have you. Like SEO, and serp, and links, and on and on and on..
At least your #1 in something. Sorry buddy, too easy. My head hurts. I am going to try and find a local human this week that can help. I really don't want to use an online firm. At least with a person I can throw stuff around their office if I am not satisfied.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=Lefet;4316484]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
who may be picking up your site to link for some reason or another.[/QUOTE]

Can you explain that a little more?
I was referring to inbound links to your site. If you're a member of the chamber of commerce, or make your city's annual list of Best of the Best for the service category, and they link to your site, you'll see it show up.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
At least your #1 in something. Sorry buddy, too easy. My head hurts. I am going to try and find a local human this week that can help. I really don't want to use an online firm. At least with a person I can throw stuff around their office if I am not satisfied.

Understandable my good friend, got a chuckle out of me too!!

[QUOTE=tonygreek;4316492]
Quote:
I was referring to inbound links to your site. If you're a member of the chamber of commerce, or make your city's annual list of Best of the Best for the service category, and they link to your site, you'll see it show up.
Thanks for the explanation.... now to find someone to link me up!!
Old 02-18-2012, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentross09 View Post
Hello everyone,
Because this forum and community has been a great resource for my business and helped me in many ways. I would like to share some tips and show you how easy is to have a website first page of google, also google pages. If you would like me to go into more details step by step let me know i will write a post about it.

Thanks
I don't know where you disappeared to, or why you haven't posted any info but thanks for getting the conversation started!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I don't know where you disappeared to, or why you haven't posted any info but thanks for getting the conversation started!!!
Forget about him. We got's Tony to skool us.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
How do you work this? And what does serp stand for?
Click the "Competition Analyzer" tab at the top of the page,
To start I would figure what makes more money, landscaping, lawn care and where it's at ,
Ocean County
Jackson, Lakewood, Toms River, Manchester, Cassville, Lakehurst, New Egypt, Lacey, Point Pleasant, Point Pleasant Beach

Monmouth County
Howell, Freehold, Marlboro, Neptune, Ocean Grove, Neptune City, Asbury Park, Ocean Township, Wanamassa, Deal, Elberon, Little Silver, Eatontown, Red Bank, Tinton Falls, Shrewsbury, New Shrewsbury, Long Branch

Looking at your site it looks like landscaping is business you want, where do you want the business from?

So the keyword is "landscaping town" to start
the url to compare would be, http://www.lefetenterprises.com
then you'll have suggestions for your sites on page and off page seo characteristics that might help you rank for a particular keyword. It shows you the top ten positions for that keyword phrase.

serp - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_results_page

there's no reason your site couldn't have the #1 position on google for - landscaping jackson nj-
if you think that - landscaping jackson nj- is a good keyword phrase to rank for-you should have the phrase on a page to start.
let me see if I can find a free guide to seo for you guys.
really guys this stuff is not that hard.
your basic guide:
1.have 1 page for 1 keyword,
http://www.lefetenterprises.com/land...jackson_nj/htm
http://www.lefetenterprises.com/land...s_river_nj/htm

2.try to put 500 words on a page,

3.the meta tags, description, title and keyword should start with your keyword phrase for that page,

4. build links to that page, some times called anchor text backlinks.

google search terms you don't understand.

Lefet a bunch of years ago a landscaper named Sal helped me with this for my business. I'll help you.
You should be able to change and add to your website. If you could spend a couple hundred bucks on different services over the next 45 days and what links I can build you, should be on the front page for a good number of your keywords the next couple months. You could catch the spring rush maybe when the weather breaks.

Tags
facebook , google , ppc , search engine , wordpress