Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2012, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Turf Troll!!! We've got to run out but we'll get on this as soon as we get back!! Appreciate all the help.
(for Lefet)
Old 02-18-2012, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Member

here is a seo guide I can share.

http://www.mediafire.com/?29gwh2h68zcheap

you just have to work harder (build more links) if you can't follow all his rules.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Geez you guys have been busy on here today! (which is good, helps everyone learn)

I think the OP may have gotten busy in his other ventures, judging from his listing on elance (unless it is coincidence someone has the same name there, is in the same area, and has a site for storage units).

I myself today have been playing around with SEO PowerSuite, interesting what all the free version gives. For what I know about SEO, all research I have always done by hand. I must say, a tool that does it is nice.

I have a local company I'll be redesigning their site, and will finally get to put a lot of this to use. Everyone have a good weekend, I'm about to head out of town for the weekend, so won't be as active here till monday.

-Greg
Old 02-18-2012, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Panda

Might help for a base definition of the Google Algorithm.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Publish bigger and publish on more cork boards than the other guys.
Publish bigger- write more content on your pages, write more pages on your websites.

publish on more cork boards- have more websites, .com, .net, different keyword phrases, web 2.0 sites like squidoo or wordpress (free) the more content you put up are more signs for clients to find you and also gets you ahead of other competitors.

It's the same magical power that makes you money in your business, you work hard and smart and you make more money.
You got to get working though......[/QUOTE]

The cork board was just an analogy. I'm writing a business plan for a completely different business from my current one. I've never designed anything internet-wise beyond lots of Ebay ads. I understand about key words in those ads, but that's about as far as my experience goes. My new business venture would be more regional (my state & its neighboring states), which may or may not involve a franchise, depending on once we decide fully if it will meet our needs, or just restrict us because of territory & if they impose Internet restrictions. Time is on my side right now, just trying to line up the ducks & know the best route to take when it comes to marketing on the Internet. What I'm trying to understand is...Even if I had several web pages with lots of descriptive search words, is there a better way to not get buried in the shuffle and have to sift through pages of hits just to find my site? How do other sites make it to the top of a page? Do they hire a company to constantly modify for them or do they pay large sums of $ to keep them there?
Old 02-18-2012, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg8872 View Post
Geez you guys have been busy on here today! (which is good, helps everyone learn)

I think the OP may have gotten busy in his other ventures, judging from his listing on elance (unless it is coincidence someone has the same name there, is in the same area, and has a site for storage units).

I myself today have been playing around with SEO PowerSuite, interesting what all the free version gives. For what I know about SEO, all research I have always done by hand. I must say, a tool that does it is nice.

I have a local company I'll be redesigning their site, and will finally get to put a lot of this to use. Everyone have a good weekend, I'm about to head out of town for the weekend, so won't be as active here till monday.

-Greg
They have offered deep discounts to SEO Powersuite the last 6 months. I also negotiated a longer update period before I bought.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Troll View Post
They have offered deep discounts to SEO Powersuite the last 6 months. I also negotiated a longer update period before I bought.
Thanks for the tip, yeah right now they are listing the price at $250, and from what I have seen, looks worth it.

Also going to look at other ones my friends who do SEO use (Raven Tools and WebCEO) as well.

-Greg
Old 02-18-2012, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFaced View Post
Publish bigger and publish on more cork boards than the other guys.
Publish bigger- write more content on your pages, write more pages on your websites.

publish on more cork boards- have more websites, .com, .net, different keyword phrases, web 2.0 sites like squidoo or wordpress (free) the more content you put up are more signs for clients to find you and also gets you ahead of other competitors.

It's the same magical power that makes you money in your business, you work hard and smart and you make more money.
You got to get working though......

The cork board was just an analogy.
I understand about key words in those ads, but that's about as far as my experience goes.
My new business venture would be more regional (my state & its neighboring states),

Time is on my side right now, just trying to line up the ducks & know the best route to take when it comes to marketing on the Internet.

What I'm trying to understand is is there a better way to find my site? How do other sites make it to the top of a page? Do they hire a company to constantly modify for them or do they pay large sums of $ to keep them there?[/QUOTE]

Quote:
The cork board was just an analogy.
I use to pay a big bunch of money for 10k postcards or/and yellow page ads(which steadily got less return), little bunches of money for shopper paper ads (which still work decently) now I give more calls for landscape business away then I keep - all from internet traffic. Print publishing, mailing cost were and are more expensive then publishing on the internet. The analogy is still the same just different formats. A business owner needs to learn the basics.

Quote:
I understand about key words in those ads, but that's about as far as my experience goes.
if you google search keywords or meta tags, or go to wikipedia

Quote:
My new business venture would be more regional (my state & its neighboring states),
then put the name of the state, abbreviation and the name of the exact geographic locations and the root keyword

Quote:
Time is on my side right now, just trying to line up the ducks & know the best route to take when it comes to marketing on the Internet.
the longer I have a site up with new content being added and links being built pointing to it the better the sites position when I need it.

Your ready for the snake oil internet sale's guy if you think your going to wait then 1 day pay some money and be making monies from your internet marketing efforts.

you can get enough hosting for 200 websites at hostgator for $25 a month, there's hosting for $5 a month. I'm just saying it's not much, I think you can get a domain at namecheap for under $10 a year. Start building your internet presence now and it will cost you less when you want it.

Quote:
What I'm trying to understand is there a better way to find my site? How do other sites make it to the top of a page? Do they hire a company to constantly modify for them or do they pay large sums of $ to keep them there?
Your pickup or zero-turn. You might work on them to save some money or time. You might send them out because it's going to make you money, will save you money or maybe keep your stress level down.

as mr. landscape guy when you get your pickup truck or zero-turn looked at by the dealer you understand what's going on for the most part. You might of like'd the bill to be a lot lower but it didn't hurt your head to bad.

okay the analogy now is of any story that comes to mind of young women going into an auto dealer or car repair shop and buying the extra extended warranty for $5000 or the super diffracted blue widget to stop the noise from the tires. Now more than your head hurts!

How much time do you spend teaching someone how to drive a car?
You could probably spend less time learning how to drive your internet marketing and it is probably as important as your driving license.

you could follow videos on buying domains, hosting, setting up a wordpress site and doing the seo work and it not take you 30 hours the first time. Add $50 for some link building. You would have a good idea what it's like to drive when you have a learner's permit.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefet2 View Post
Thanks Turf Troll!!! We've got to run out but we'll get on this as soon as we get back!! Appreciate all the help.
(for Lefet)

Just returned 4 hours later, no data on the serpiq. Still at 0% and the little meter is still going around in a circle. I'm sure we did something wrong.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the insight Turf Troll, this has turned into a great thread w/ all your input. I'm subbed.

Tags
facebook , google , ppc , search engine , wordpress