Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2012, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Fert Program For Northern States

I am new to the world of fertilizer this year(previously subbed fert work out). I am 90% done with my studying to take the pesticide test and am confidant Ill pass. Anyway I am looking for advice on what to use for fertilizer and weed sprays. I know a few guys that use lesco products with good results but they wont let me in on what exactly they use. I would like to use lesco products mostly because the distributor is close by and I have seen good results with it. Can anybody give me some insight about what I should be using in my area (twin cities). Any help is appreciated!
Old 02-12-2012, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Read a few hundred posts on Lawnsite and you will soon know what your need. Click on the fert adds to your left, and you will understand what the vendors are offering and talk to their salesmen to see what they suggest. Be sure you know what the nearby universities recommend in their lawn and golf course care brochures. Passing the test is only a tiny part of what you need to know.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I figured the test was only a small portion of the real world knowledge needed to actually successfully apply ferts, that's why I'm here lol. I never really thought about checking with the universities around here so thanks for that suggestion. I have found salesman don't seem to want to take the time to "teach" us newbs but rather expect you to know what you are calling for and they get an easy sale,that's just my experience. Anyway back to bumming around Lawnsite here hoping to come across something I do not yet know Thanks!
Old 02-13-2012, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullysAllSeasons View Post
I figured the test was only a small portion of the real world knowledge needed to actually successfully apply ferts, that's why I'm here lol. I never really thought about checking with the universities around here so thanks for that suggestion. I have found salesman don't seem to want to take the time to "teach" us newbs but rather expect you to know what you are calling for and they get an easy sale,that's just my experience. Anyway back to bumming around Lawnsite here hoping to come across something I do not yet know Thanks!
Are you planning to duplicate Tru-green or are you thinking of IPM?
Old 02-19-2012, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Are you planning to duplicate Tru-green or are you thinking of IPM?
Thats the last thing we all need is another true green
Old 02-20-2012, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinerCutslawnCare View Post
Thats the last thing we all need is another true green
But if all we do is follow the label instructions, and split the apps, in our strategies that is ALL we ever get... Another TGCL...

Show me a squirt&fert business, that isn't just another copy of TGCL... Show Me!!!

Show me an LCO that understands "WHY" he's doing what he's doing... The business model of Scott's/TGCL is the business model that works the best for the highest profits... and they have to have public ignorance in place to make it happen...

If we are able to think and understand what we are doing, then we rise above the public ignorance that we all shared before. Read the label when you take an aspirin and it says every 4 hours as needed...

How can we discern when it is NEEDED???