Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Or no sand at all.
I wouldn't bet on that. This site has all the signs of a relatively thin layer of topsoil with a confining layer directly beneath it.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will post some pics of the house across the street that is close to being landscaped.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2012, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Topsoil is fine, but don't add sand to clay--it gets harder yet. The clay particles fill in between the sand particles and result resembles concrete.
What is base soil? Is this red clay country? Is it workable or is it more suited to making bricks? Slippery when wet? Does it get big cracks when dry? Acid soil?

Roll it back; level the soil; roll it back in place. Do it before it comes out of dormancy.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 02-14-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: added
Old 02-14-2012, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Topsoil is fine, but don't add sand to clay--it gets harder yet. The clay particles fill in between the sand particles and result resembles concrete.
What is base soil? Is this red clay country? Is it workable or is it more suited to making bricks? Slippery when wet? Does it get big cracks when dry? Acid soil?

Roll it back; level the soil; roll it back in place. Do it before it comes out of dormancy.
Probably right,, try rolling back some and see how it goes.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I may have left out a very important piece of the puzzle. My neighbor sits at a higher elevation than I do leaving a hill connecting our lots. That is also the side that is "soggy" and "lumpy". This is Georgia and my soils is red clay, I am not sure if they put a top soil down before laying the sod. They are still doing construction in the neighbor hood and I haven't been able to catch them in the middle of a sod job, I either see the very beginning or the very end. I have attached some pictures of the hill and an ungraded and landscaped lot.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2012, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a link to my soil test. It will not let me upload it twice for some reason.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=366047&page=2
Old 02-14-2012, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

That is the right tool normally, a box blade. In GA, you're not allowed to have drainage from your property run onto your neighbors, of which you are obviously a victim. They need to do a french drain for their doen spouts.

If you search, you will see photos of people in GA who have burried their Bermuda with sand, completely covered. It comes back. You really can't erradicate it. But you also can't do it at this time of the year. Heavy sanding needs to be done when the turf is growing vigorously like July/August.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...310416637.html
Old 02-14-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
I may have left out a very important piece of the puzzle. My neighbor sits at a higher elevation than I do leaving a hill connecting our lots. That is also the side that is "soggy" and "lumpy". This is Georgia and my soils is red clay, I am not sure if they put a top soil down before laying the sod. They are still doing construction in the neighbor hood and I haven't been able to catch them in the middle of a sod job, I either see the very beginning or the very end. I have attached some pictures of the hill and an ungraded and landscaped lot.
I will bet $100 that no topsoil was trucked in or used...they will lay sod on unprepped soil, poor soil...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2012, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrager View Post
That is the right tool normally, a box blade. In GA, you're not allowed to have drainage from your property run onto your neighbors, of which you are obviously a victim. They need to do a french drain for their doen spouts.

If you search, you will see photos of people in GA who have burried their Bermuda with sand, completely covered. It comes back. You really can't erradicate it. But you also can't do it at this time of the year. Heavy sanding needs to be done when the turf is growing vigorously like July/August.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...310416637.html
This guy is correct with sand timing. You will lose it all if you do it now.
Scalp the lawn in June and top dress with river sand. The lower you scalp the easier the job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post

Always hear this but never seen it happen...around here Bermuda is top dressed with sand. Core aeration prior to sand helps.
Posted via Mobile Device