Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2012, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Deal with it after you have fixed the problems and the sod is established.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Deal with it after you have fixed the problems and the sod is established.
What this guy says...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2012, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
I have a quick question. I was just reading a pre emergents product label online and it said not to apply on newly set sod until the following year. Is this this true? What should I use for crabgrass/weed control this spring. I was planning on getting all this started march 1st. The sod was laid Dec 15th, and looking at my neighbors grass which was laid before mine most of thier yarsd look terrible, mostly from neglect but still I dont want to look like that. any help would be great.
The reason that pre-m shouldn't be used on sod, is because pre-m is a root inhibitor...

I agree there should be no reason to pre-m fresh sod, but depending on how well it's rooted it may be safe to apply by now. Just don't overwater and there shouldn't be too much germination going on in a competitive environment.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Small Axe that totally makes sense to me. What should I do about the exsisting weed issue I have right now and may come up against in the coming months. I will post pics of my house and problems, and show you what my neighbors have and are dealing with.

My soil test was done and said I have a PH of 4.9. So I am going to start applying lime next weekend, and continually add lime throughout the upcoming months.

When should I start my high Nitrogen fert application? April?

Is there any herbicide I can use on the weeds I currently have that wont hurt the lawn?

The first photo is my house from the street

the next 2 are the weeds I currently have and that are pretty much all over the entire yard, that was just a larger problem area.

the following 3 are pics of my neighbors yard. There are several other homes in the neighborhood with newly laid sod that look just the same or worse.

the last 2 are spots where the sod was laid and didn't butt up to the other piece. I am going to experience problems there?

thanks for the help.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2012, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm too far north to give any ideas about how to do specifics.
But it doesn't look like the sod has done much, does it?

Those green spikes that we see popping up. Is that the weed you are dealing with, right now?
Some say, you can spray round-up over dormant grass without hurting the grass. As long as it isn't green...
Old 02-17-2012, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's a reference for you:
http://sandmantopdressing.com/prod-serv.htm

I wouldn't use any pre-m this year. It will slow root development. Be patient and don't worry about the weeds this year. Bermuda will choke them out. You can use liquid iron: http://www.amazon.com/Bonide-Liquid-.../dp/B0015I6ZW8 in late April to help green up. Then start your fertilizing per the Bermuda Bible.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Correct uneveness. Begin your fertilization program when the grass greens up. Use a high-quality fertilizer with at least 30 percent of the nitrogen as slow release--50 percent of nitrogen as slow release is better. Fertilize about once per month until you have the grass thick--or until you cannot keep up with mowing. In future years, cut back the fertilizer to half as much.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How well does the soil soak up water there? Are the roots firmly established?
Old 02-18-2012, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope, I am going to follow people's advice and deal with the weeds later. I pulled some sod up and it really didn't seem like it was rooting very well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2012, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
Nope, I am going to follow people's advice and deal with the weeds later. I pulled some sod up and it really didn't seem like it was rooting very well.
Posted via Mobile Device
You can put a light app of pre on new Bermuda without any problems, I've done it several times. The label errors on the side of caution since pre's are root pruners but I think you will be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device