Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have to be 18 for a demo?

Can't find any info on this, and maybe you guys know. Do you have to be 18 to get a demo of a mower? I'm 17, and won't be 18 til next august. Probably getting a 48" wb or bigger next spring. But i am new to the demo thing and wasn't sure if you have to be 18.
Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure it's just like with anything else. You will more then likely have to have an 18+ year old with an ID to sign, and that person will be liable for damage. Good luck and hope you find a machine you like.
Old Today, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

this depends.

More than likely, if you have an established business entity and an actual insurance policy, none of that matters, technically.

If you're doing johnny side job, I collect cash from my neighbors for lawn cutting, they aren't going to want to take the liability with their insurance.

The lawn in most states is minors can't use power tools (boy scouts can't even use a black and decker drill)

It's just like a rental car, most Avis/Dollar etc will not rent to you unless you are 25.
It all revolves around insurance/liability and wether you can find someone who known better or not.

for example in Alaska, it's very hard to rent a car without a Credit Card (Debit cards do not count)
you CAN find people, but it's harder.

I'd say just ask, and if they say "beat it kid" , then you have your answer.

In the cases where the "demo" is actually a zero dollar owed rental, with an agreement etc, they are going to tell you no.
United won't let you rent a bobcat either, just like a rental car, you need to be old enough.

Not every "demo" runs that way, however.
You will usually find the above method, with a place that both rents and sells.

A place that sells only, won't have a complicated rental agreement. In which case you have a higher chance to try it out.

However, I do not know many places that will let a 17 year old drive off with their machine and say "see you in a few days"
Old Today, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If they ask just tell them your 20, if they don't ask don't mention it. As far as I know you don't have too be 18 too purchase one, now a can of paint is a different in the commie states of merika.
Old Today, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How about going in with your dad and having him vouch for you?

Most shops will love seeing a youngster trying to hustle to get started in this business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old Today, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
If they ask just tell them your 20, if they don't ask don't mention it. As far as I know you don't have too be 18 too purchase one, now a can of paint is a different in the commie states of merika.
I just have to say in regards to the paint, I find it funny that you have to be 18; just because you turn 18 means you wont huff or graffiti things? Lol

As for the OP, just ask. Otherwise get your parents to sign for it. I Imagine they'd be willing to help their child do that.