Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I don't know what I will be able to figure out from this mower because of excessive power, but they are bringing me a new Super Z with a 60" deck and a 37 hp Kawi. I find it somewhat hard to believe they would put the 37 on a 60" deck, but we'll know next week. I will tell you precisely to one-tenth of a mph exactly how fast this mower is on perfectly flat ground with blades off. They are advertising the Super Z at a hard number of 15 mph ground speed; I am expecting it to be within 4 to 5 tenths of what they are advertising. I want use GPS, but will use a perfect distance and elapsed time which is the most accurate calculation for speed. My dealer is also interested in the speed information as well, when he tells a customer he is buying a 15 mph mower, he wants to believe these numbers are accurate.
Mate, even if its a bit out, mine is well fast enough believe me! Thing is, the torque of the hydros and the ample power make it virtually unstoppable. I do have to slow down if the grass is thick, wet and on slope but the deck can only get so much clippings out of it.
I understand what your saying though.. If they say it goes "X" fast, then it should but IMO, that would be up to the dealer to sort out on pre delivery like checking the deck for level etc.

I know your lawns are level and you keep it short so you may not see the benefit in this new machine but, put a couple hours on it and let me know what you think.
Maybe ask dealer to bring out some G6 blades as well for comparison.
You may miss the flex seat, I do!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Mate, even if its a bit out, mine is well fast enough believe me! Thing is, the torque of the hydros and the ample power make it virtually unstoppable. I do have to slow down if the grass is thick, wet and on slope but the deck can only get so much clippings out of it.
I understand what your saying though.. If they say it goes "X" fast, then it should but IMO, that would be up to the dealer to sort out on pre delivery like checking the deck for level etc.

I know your lawns are level and you keep it short so you may not see the benefit in this new machine but, put a couple hours on it and let me know what you think.
Maybe ask dealer to bring out some G6 blades as well for comparison.
You may miss the flex seat, I do!
I'll put a few hrs. on the mower and see what it has to offer, but remember my cutting is totally different; as a matter of fact, in the past 20 minutes, I mowed the main body of my lawn that my house sits on. I had to open a gate and cut inside where the dogs play, then cut the remainder, probably 1 1/4 acres with all trimming done by the Super Z, spent more time turning than mowing. I thought to myself, if I was not on a mower this fast, I could never finish before it got too dark to see. It really amazes me the amount of grass I can cut in a short period each time I use the mower. The grass is short and perfectly dry, meaning once I get the machine turned back into a straight direction it is immediately cutting at full speed, and the only thing that slows me down is when I make the next turn.

The only way this new mower can increase my productivity (if it had the same 66" deck that's on mine), is to cut at a faster rate of speed, and I know the ride will be nowhere comparable because I've driven a new one with the 37 Kawi and a 72" deck for several hundred feet on relatively smooth terrain. I was thinking to myself as I was driving that the ride was not close to my mower with the flex forks and flex seat, something that makes a tremendous difference by removing the back slap, but cannot be fitted to the newly designed Super Z. There is a must that you have the ride to go along with the speed, if not you can't utilize the extra productivity.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hustler needs to get a flex seat going soon, or just offer the iso-mounts like eXmark uses.

This demo I had last week had flex forms, but only the suspension seat. I have regular forks but suspension seat and flex seat. The flex seat is truely one of their best innovations!

Also, if the 2006 era flex forks were as stiff as they are made now, I'd likely have gone with them. Back then they were too soft in my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
NO! And Jason, you've got Cheetah on the brain!
well i know the pumps are different but other than that. speed is speed. i think both pump designs hold up well. obviously the hustler is better because the pumps are industrial grade but the cut on the hustler isn't as good as the velocity plus.

i guess i do have cheetah on the brain. you ever watch thunder cats cartoon back in the day? cheetara? i think that was her name. anyways i've read alot on here about hustler cutting issues so that is steering me away from buying a hustler. i think they've got everything else figured out but they need to fix the cutting issues.

maybe put a velocity plus deck or a 7 iron pro deck on your super z? that is the best solution.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would take a velocity plus deck with a hustler drive system on a frame and motor of a zd331
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2012, 05:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
I would take a velocity plus deck with a hustler drive system on a frame and motor of a zd331
Posted via Mobile Device
What motor are you speaking of on the ZD331, you definitely have the other two main components correct.

The Scag Cheetah may have all one needs, but I honestly can't comment with running one; I've heard positives on this machine, and would love to give one a try. The ride and handling (smoothness of hydraulics) on my Super Z are second to none, but I also have $500+ in extras to help my machine ride better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Hustler needs to get a flex seat going soon, or just offer the iso-mounts like eXmark uses.

This demo I had last week had flex forms, but only the suspension seat. I have regular forks but suspension seat and flex seat. The flex seat is truely one of their best innovations!

Also, if the 2006 era flex forks were as stiff as they are made now, I'd likely have gone with them. Back then they were too soft in my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
I change flex forks, and you're right, the first ones produced fatigued to easily. I wonder if we could verify they definitely changed the rubber compostion to adjust for the heavier machine, is there any way for you to verify this?

Last edited by puppypaws; 05-03-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Previously I could stand on the front caster arms and jump to show people the flexing fork action. I was unable to do this with this new one!

Also saw less side hill lean in the cut. And only made crop circles once on a rough lawn at high speed.

The velocity plus deck needs a deck wrapper and tuck those stupid scalp wheels in somewhere.

Or just add a couple more gallons of fuel capacity and I'd buy one!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2012, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The 31 horse kubota diesel. I will hopefully be trying out a new super z in the next few weeks so I can give some feedback. I've been following these threads about it and seems to have mixed reviews.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2012, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
The 31 horse kubota diesel. I will hopefully be trying out a new super z in the next few weeks so I can give some feedback. I've been following these threads about it and seems to have mixed reviews.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think there are many positives about the new Super Z, especially the hydraulics with their super warranty. Depending on the grass from what I'm reading is where the cut issues come into play. The type grass I cut would more than likely never be an issue until crabgrass comes into play.

The new Super Z my dealer is bringing me to try next week with the 37 hp Kawi on a 60" deck should never change sounds in the type grass I cut. I am also expecting the discharge to be dispersing equally across the newly designed larger opening, with a discharge distance of at least 3 cut swaths while fanning for even distribution. We will find out shortly what the true differences may actually be in my cutting situation.

The 31 Kubota diesel is, in my opinion, the best zero turn diesel engine made, but I can tell you now without reservation it will not have the power of the big block Vanguard, Generac, and possibly the Kawasaki. The fuel consumption is in the .5 gph range with the 31 Kubota diesel.

Last edited by puppypaws; 05-03-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I think there are many positives about the new Super Z, especially the hydraulics with their super warranty. Depending on the grass from what I'm reading is where the cut issues come into play. The type grass I cut would more than likely never be an issue until crabgrass comes into play.

The new Super Z my dealer is bringing me to try next week with the 37 hp Kawi on a 60" deck should never change sounds in the type grass I cut. I am also expecting the discharge to be dispersing equally across the newly designed larger opening, with a discharge distance of at least 3 cut swaths while fanning for even distribution. We will find out shortly what the true differences may actually be in my cutting situation.

The 31 Kubota diesel is, in my opinion, the best zero turn diesel engine made, but I can tell you now without reservation it will not have the power of the big block Vanguard, Generac, and possibly the Kawasaki. The fuel consumption is in the .5 gph range with the 31 Kubota diesel.
You should have him bring you a 72 37 Horse