Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-28-2013, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
This is also a very different grass, and as you can see it is being cut very short, which is leaving a mat of cut grass on top of the ground. There is definitely clumping involved, but this is not making it look nearly as bad as the mat of long clippings. Without mulching, where is this amount of long clippings going; as so to disappear. This grass is cut much shorter than most can see from the photo, and it's very hard to make any grass filter back into basically bear ground. Look at some of the shots, it is cut to the point of showing scalping in some areas.
Why do you even bother giving an opinion? Yes this grass here has some moisture in it. But its not a bad clumping shot either.

The clumping occurs in areas where I could roll around in and not get a drop of moisture on my clothes.

I dont know how much good info you bring to this forum, maybe plenty. But in my experiance with you, all youve done is pick at the little faults in what I say & give no benefit to the actual problem.

Come over here and come out cutting grass with me. Fix the problem and then I will be more than greatful for your input. Point is if all you want to do is argue then why cant you keep it to yourself!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Why do you even bother giving an opinion? Yes this grass here has some moisture in it. But its not a bad clumping shot either.

The clumping occurs in areas where I could roll around in and not get a drop of moisture on my clothes.

I dont know how much good info you bring to this forum, maybe plenty. But in my experiance with you, all youve done is pick at the little faults in what I say & give no benefit to the actual problem.

Come over here and come out cutting grass with me. Fix the problem and then I will be more than greatful for your input. Point is if all you want to do is argue then why cant you keep it to yourself!
I give my opinion based on what I see, not what you would like to hear.

I have a very simple solution for your problem, trade mowers and go back to the one you claim never had this type problem. This is about as easy a fix as you will ever come up with, you've cut with this mower long enough to know it will never suit you wants and desires, so bite the bullet and trade.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

greenology-
what length were you cutting at there in the picture puppy is mentioning? That info would help. I say that because mick cuts similar or the same grasses as you, and I once asked him what height he was cutting at in one of his videos since it looked so short to me. He said 3", then I realized that he was having to snip off so much while cutting, that compared to the height of the grass before cutting, 3" looked like scalping in the pics.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

puppypaws: it's normal to cut grass that short on southern warm season grasses. i cut at 2" here. the clippings don't sit on top like that unless it's really wet or the grass is 8" tall or more when you cut it. some grasses like bermuda for example have a brownish look to them right after you cut which would look like scalping in pictures. a day or so after you cut they go back to being a full green color. really bermuda should be cut twice a week but when you are cutting a customers yard once a week or even bi weekly in alot of cases that is why you see the brown color show after you cut. it's only green on the tips of the grass for the most part.

Last edited by weeze; 03-01-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
greenology-
what length were you cutting at there in the picture puppy is mentioning? That info would help. I say that because mick cuts similar or the same grasses as you, and I once asked him what height he was cutting at in one of his videos since it looked so short to me. He said 3", then I realized that he was having to snip off so much while cutting, that compared to the height of the grass before cutting, 3" looked like scalping in the pics.
I can only say for certain that its the level # 4 from the bottom on the height settings. I would have to measure the height or do some researching on hustler specs to find the height in inches for you.

This is the lowest setting I cut on, rarely use it. Thsi client likes the grass around the house to be cut this low, personally I wouldnt do it that low unless cut atleast every week, but his lawn is cut fortnightly. Its kikuya grass, which is predominate around sydney.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I give my opinion based on what I see, not what you would like to hear.

I have a very simple solution for your problem, trade mowers and go back to the one you claim never had this type problem. This is about as easy a fix as you will ever come up with, you've cut with this mower long enough to know it will never suit you wants and desires, so bite the bullet and trade.
So as usual in your opinion, theres no issue with the mower, its just me having a winge?

If I take your suggestion, then id be losing who knows how many thousands. Which isnt right considering I paid so much money for a machine that from all accounts was the best I could buy at the time & supposed to be a huge improvment from the cheaper mower I had.

I shouldnt have to lose money but if I cant resolve it, I guess I will have no choice.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Mickhippy, would be mind sending a photo of the mods you have done to the deck, or a link to the photos.

thanks
Old 03-01-2013, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you fellas get it figured out to your satisfaction. Having cut issues makes the job a chore instead of fun. You shouldn't have to do anything to your machine outside of setting the deck and baffle, and the blades. Hustler has a problem and no amount of soft soaping it can deny that. There's simply too many guys who do this for a living that are having the same, or very nearly the same issues with that deck. It's really hard to understand just by looking at the way it is designed too. It looks like it should work great.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm on mobile so if I miss anything , my bad.
Green, ill email you the pics sometime over the weekend. Have little to no Internet at the moment.

The stuff Greens cutting is very quick growing. It's like a Bermuda on steroids. It can be cut as low a 1" if done more than once a week. But as soon and customer say fortnightly or even weekly, we just know its a pita to cut. What looks like scalping is just cutting at normal height.
I've seen photos of that grass growing up and into house windows. It's a pasture grass from Africa I believe.

Anyway, Green is also cutting a grass called sir Walter. It's a buffalo similar to st austustine. (Sp).

Puppy, you have to understand something. Buying a mower over here isn't like there. I wish they were only $10-12k, but there not. I paid over $17000 for my SZ. $500 just for a hydro service! Blades are $30+. Point is, when we spend that much, it's a very hard pill to swallow when it doesn't do as expected. We will loose way to much to much on a trade in.

Unless I'm working in absolute perfect conditions, I have the same dramas. Even in great conditions, hit one little spot with any moisture but still short, ill get a clump.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2013, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know of a photo or a link to a photo showing the discharge side of the XR7 Deck?