Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2012, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mic. Has it dried out at all there? Any better luck with clippings if so? I'm also about to buy the identical mower.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Had showers last few days (again), but was able to do a few yesterday. Its hard mate, 2 weekly cut grass is long and damp so very frustrating. I am getting windrows in long grass where I wasnt with the xr7. If not taking much off its not too bad.

You know on the xr7 deck they had that angled piece of steal in the discharge chute? I think clippings are getting caught on that with this new deck. Clippings come out the full width of the chute, maybe they shouldnt!

I really think you need a good demo before buying.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mick,
I might be wrong, but IIRC you cut with your OCDC all the way up in the straight up position. I have read that the discharge chute being wide open can cause the clumping issue, s last summer I tried a little experiment with my 7 Iron. I had the chute all the way up for a while on one place Like I used to always do, and did get a little windrowing. Then I let it back down in its normal position sticking basically straight out to the side, and no more windrowing at all. I tried it a few more times over the sumer with the same results, so maybe there's something to that after all. Try it with the OCDC straight out and see if it helps. Worth a shot.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
We get most of your shows here these days, for better or worse!
Sorry about that.......
Old 03-16-2012, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I mow with the ocdc fully open but I have tried mowing with the deflector chute on with same, or worse windrowing. But I could easily try closing it a bit but I cant see how that will effect the clippings before they even hit it. I'll give it a go though, cant hurt!

Stan, I forgive you! Maybe????
Old 03-16-2012, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Have you figured out what the fuel consumption per hour is yet?
Old 03-16-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Best ive had so far is 3.5hrs almost to the minute out of one tank of 25Lt
About 7.15Lt/hr or 1.88Gal/hr

Fuel cost $1.50/lt so $10/hr
Old 03-17-2012, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Had showers last few days (again), but was able to do a few yesterday. Its hard mate, 2 weekly cut grass is long and damp so very frustrating. I am getting windrows in long grass where I wasnt with the xr7. If not taking much off its not too bad.

You know on the xr7 deck they had that angled piece of steal in the discharge chute? I think clippings are getting caught on that with this new deck. Clippings come out the full width of the chute, maybe they shouldnt!

I really think you need a good demo before buying.
This kills me to hear. I found a left over for $10800.00 and suspension seat. I love the way they're built. Wish they held more fuel capacity and had an isolated platform but that's not what will keep me from buying. The stupid thing has got to cut and leave the clippings properly. First and for most that's what any mower has got to do well. The perks come later like, performing it faster and lasting longer. I hope you find the fix. From what I'm reading the high lifts might be helpful. It would be worth a try.

I'm looking at the Gravely Pro Turn 400 which is new this year, costs as much $11300.00, has no proven track record, less warranty, and probably not built as heavy duty. It does have an air seat, isolated platform, 13 mph, and 13.4 gal tanks.

Also looking at the Husqvarna PZ6034FXZT. Found one for $8900.00 but I have to travel for it. No big deal. It's been out longer then the 400. But again less warranty, probably not built as heavy duty, and only 11 gallon tanks. It also has the isolated deck and the super high two speed hydro deal like the Cheetahs which is not proven.

Not to sound like the broken record but I can't demo any of these prior to buying. I know Hustler but hate the previous decks cuts. Accessories for the PZ and the 400 cost less (exp. bagging system roughly $1000.00 less) but they may not cut any better then the VX4. What to do. What to do.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Dont do anything until you demo! You'll love driving it. Only issue Im having is the discharge and the frickin fuel tanks! Seriously, you need to demo even if you have to drive 2hrs to do it.

You will love the machine. I bet it will be the best ztr you have ever driven and Im not having issues with the cut itself, just the discharge. Thats the only thing I reckon you need to worry about.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Member

I have 77.8 hours on mine. Its the best mower on the market right now. Durability, cut, ease of use, speed, and a profitable mower. I am not brand sensitive, I just know what works.

Last edited by dwayne4; 03-17-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling