Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-01-2013, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Does anyone know of a photo or a link to a photo showing the discharge side of the XR7 Deck?
Scroll down through this page. There are pics of most major brands from the underside, including the XR7-

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=322546
Old 03-01-2013, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Puppy, you have to understand something. Buying a mower over here isn't like there. I wish they were only $10-12k, but there not. I paid over $17000 for my SZ. $500 just for a hydro service! Blades are $30+. Point is, when we spend that much, it's a very hard pill to swallow when it doesn't do as expected. We will loose way to much to much on a trade in.

Unless I'm working in absolute perfect conditions, I have the same dramas. Even in great conditions, hit one little spot with any moisture but still short, ill get a clump.
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

Well said Mick, puppybum doesnt like anyone bad mouthing his precious hustlers. He is the only one on here who is allowed to have any problems with the VX4, with his blowout troubles. I think he just likes to be a debater, but I havnt read any of his posts, im sure with the amount of posts he has he would have given plenty of good advice, would that be right?

No problem regarding the photos, tonight Ill do a search throught the threads as I do recall seeing a couple images you have uploaded.

I made up an aluminium cover today to cover over the indent on the back side of the chute, doubtfull it will make any diff but just to rule out whether the grass is gathering in that portion of deck. Too wet to try it, maybe over the weekend when catching up on lawns.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Scroll down through this page. There are pics of most major brands from the underside, including the XR7-

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=322546
Thanks for that
Old 03-01-2013, 02:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Name:  VX4 Discharge lpg.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  36.5 KB

The grass may be gathering in this area?

Name:  XR7.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  45.1 KB

The rear edge of the discharge appears to be flowing along a straight edge, along with all the other decks I was looking at on that thread. Where as the VX4 has that small V section.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Name:  Fred & Brendan mod VX4 2.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  42.6 KB

Name:  Fred & Brendan mod VX4.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  46.4 KB

This is quite a rough job, but its only got to hold together enough to test it.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Green, ill email you the pics sometime over the weekend. Have little to no Internet at the moment.
Posted via Mobile Device
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...khippy&page=23

Have you attempted any further mods after the baffle in this image? post #222

No hurry for the photos in any case, just when you have the spare time. Cheers
Old 03-01-2013, 05:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Name:  Callus VX4.JPG
Views: 68
Size:  84.8 KB

Name:  Callus VX4 2.JPG
Size:  86.1 KB

Name:  Callus VX4 3.JPG
Size:  92.1 KB

Name:  Callus VX4 4.JPG
Size:  91.0 KB

Some old images I found of the previous mower cutting grass on the same property as the last few images. This is the QOC the old dixon would give. I have a video I found, will see if I can upload it, shows the discharge spreading evenly in the same places/conditions that the VX4 is now leaving clumps.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Name:  Callus VX5.jpg
Size:  136.3 KB

Name:  VX4 6.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  123.0 KB

Name:  VX4 7.jpg
Size:  96.0 KB
Old 03-01-2013, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
This is also a very different grass, and as you can see it is being cut very short, which is leaving a mat of cut grass on top of the ground. There is definitely clumping involved, but this is not making it look nearly as bad as the mat of long clippings. Without mulching, where is this amount of long clippings going; as so to disappear. This grass is cut much shorter than most can see from the photo, and it's very hard to make any grass filter back into basically bear ground. Look at some of the shots, it is cut to the point of showing scalping in some areas.
I agree it is certainly different grass than here in NH. But I did an extensive demo in Orlando FL where we cut similar grass at 1"-1 1/2 " where the irrigation had been on for 3 hours. With a week of growth I didnt experience any of what these pictures show.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2013, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post

Puppy, you have to understand something. Buying a mower over here isn't like there. I wish they were only $10-12k, but there not. I paid over $17000 for my SZ. $500 just for a hydro service! Blades are $30+. Point is, when we spend that much, it's a very hard pill to swallow when it doesn't do as expected. We will loose way to much to much on a trade in.

Posted via Mobile Device
Green and Mic, Just to make you feel better your cost isn't any worse than where I live hear in the states. Given, I'm way out in BFE and back east or in the big cities this may not be the case, but blades for a 66" VX4 ran me $98. When I priced out a VX4 with FF, suspension seat and roller, it was almost 18k. Bagger is just under 3k. This is a good part of the reason in making my decision to try Gravely. Here or there they're still bloody expensive any way or where you look at it. Shoot most of my vehicles book for less then what I'm paying for a mower that I can't use for transportation, is not enclosed, no heat or a/c, wipers, etc. You can buy a base car brand new for same or less monies. Makes me sick. Snowmobile is around $12-$14k, ATV $8-$10k. Looking at tires for my ATV for around $600 a set! I can by real car tires for that!