Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-01-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Green-
I have a Deere Z950, so no clumping. I have been following Mick's issues since he first posted about them. Even before that. There was a guy here who used Hustlers for his business and demo'd the VX4 when it came out along with several others. He also had trouble with the cut in wet conditions.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I've experienced this clumping with the VX4.

I demo'd (week long demos) a 60" SuperZ two separate times.

Didn't notice it the first time (Brand new 0hr machine), but a season later (same exact machine with more demo hours on it) I noticed it and commented on it then.

I never tore out a rear discharge baffle, but apparently a lot of crews must have had this problem for Hustler to box it in like they did.

I wonder if the Beta (test units) had the boxed in rear section, or if Hustler added that part in at the last minute. There is no way if I was a beta tester that this clumping wouldn't have been reported.

I think the reason I didn't see it the first time is that the paint was shiny and smooth and it didn't have the roughness to collect the grass. Get 50+ hours on one and it roughens up and catches and holds onto the grass....wallahhh...clump city!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 03-01-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Because the 66" and 72" XR-7's cut absolutely fine. No stragglers, better dispersal, less loading up.
As always, there is some PITA with a different take on it. I'll be it on this one.

My 66" XR7 left strips especially when turning, so we started the wonderful solution of super heavy baffles to help and make it so my wife can no longer lift the deck with one leg. This helped the standing strips and gives me a pretty nice QOC but does not change that my 66" clumps. I would not recommend anyone going with a 66" even though it's a great size for laying some grass down in large areas. The tip RPM speed is slightly less and you are very limited on blade options (ie. no G5 or G7 available). I took some good advice (I believe I have TLC to thank) and tried the VX4 blades This did help a little especially in dry grass but my 27 efi Kohler is cross-eyed due to the demand the blades place on it. Double cutting .5" higher second time turns it into cow cud and just makes clumps in different places.

A large dealer in PA I work with and respect told me as a rule they saw more QOC issues with the 66" than any other.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear mtmower...

My buddy has a 66 and only has one FF Triangle Frankenstein filler installed. This addressed the uncut strip. He has never complained about QOC after that. The 66" came with 3" wide blades while mine came with 2.5" wide blades.

Puppy never had QOC issues with his 66" XR-7 or his 72" VX4.

So, who knows...
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 03-01-2013, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

But puppy cuts stiff bladed southern grass, and that makes a lot of difference.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I agree completely with this statement, and it is the problem that Green and Mick are experiencing, yet should'nt be.

Puppy
- you may be confusing a lot of readers following along with some of your terminology. Point of reference- calling the VX4 a tunnel deck. It is not. Though I know why you are calling it that (because of the wide open design underneath, especially at the front of the blades where the main bulk of the grass flows), it is the wrong term. A tunnel deck is what comes on almost all lawn or L&G tractors and CUT's and some models of Gravely ZTR's. It has the deep tunnel running along the front of the deck, whereas a commercial Z has a flat topped, full depth deck for the entire deck. The VX4 (and 7 Iron Pro, V+) is/are what is commonly called an "open" deck design.
The Hustler VX4 deck is known to most as a free-flow tunnel design deck, you can call it whatever you like. I know where you are coming from, but this is the reference most use when speaking of any deck that processes a large amount of grass and discharges it in longer clippings. I suppose the reference could be "free-flowing" deck, but when as shown below; it is described as having a "progressively larger tunnel," I guess it just makes it easier for most people to relate. Scag's Velocity Plus has also been described as a hybrid tunnel deck. I'm not trying to confuse, only posting a quoted description as why I use the terminology that you seem to think is wrong.

QUOTE:

VX4 Technology
Hustler recently developed the VX4 deck technology. The progressively larger tunnel in front of the blades, along with a wider discharge opening, moved grass through the deck faster resulting in greater discharge dispersion.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
The Hustler VX4 deck is known to most as a free-flow tunnel design deck, you can call it whatever you like. I know where you are coming from, but this is the reference most use when speaking of any deck that processes a large amount of grass and discharges it in longer clippings. I suppose the reference could be "free-flowing" deck, but when as shown below; it is described as having a "progressively larger tunnel," I guess it just makes it easier for most people to relate. Scag's Velocity Plus has also been described as a hybrid tunnel deck. I'm not trying to confuse, only posting a quoted description as why I use the terminology that you seem to think is wrong.

QUOTE:

VX4 Technology
Hustler recently developed the VX4 deck technology. The progressively larger tunnel in front of the blades, along with a wider discharge opening, moved grass through the deck faster resulting in greater discharge dispersion.
Even my local Hustler dealer calls them free fow decks. That quote you have there is just poor and inaccurate advertising on Hustler's part. There is no tunnelbuilt into that deck.

Gravely uses the term for it's Pro Ride model of ZTR, but that's because it does indeed have a tunnel deck under it. From Gravely's site-

"Pro-Ride 200
..............◦High Flow Tunnel Deck - Featuring heavy-duty 7-gauge welded construction and overlapping blades, this expertly engineered deck quickly levels the tallest grass in no time. Breezing right along devouring grass, you can confidently protect your trees and shrubs as you trim, thanks to a pliable rubber discharge chute."

These are tunnel decks. They are even more pronounced on newer decks. If you look between the blade sheaves in the first photo and at the right end where the chute is you can clearly see the tunnel. The underside view doesn't show it to be as deep as it really is. The other deck on the tractor shows the chute view better.
Tunnel deck chute-

Normal flat deck ZTR chute (like the VX4)-

Attached Images

Old 03-01-2013, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Green-
I have a Deere Z950, so no clumping. I have been following Mick's issues since he first posted about them. Even before that. There was a guy here who used Hustlers for his business and demo'd the VX4 when it came out along with several others. He also had trouble with the cut in wet conditions.
Thats good that your not getting the issue. But also its nice to hear you have heard of it, just annoying to know that the Hustler distributor here in QLD are happy to lie to their end users. Really its offending & a bad way of going about business.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Thats good that your not getting the issue. But also its nice to hear you have heard of it, just annoying to know that the Hustler distributor here in QLD are happy to lie to their end users. Really its offending & a bad way of going about business.
Agreed. I believe that the guy I was referring to was JT Larson. Nice guy, and really honest reviews of all the mowers he tried out. I haven't seen him post for a looong time now.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Yes I've experienced this clumping with the VX4.

I demo'd (week long demos) a 60" SuperZ two separate times.

Didn't notice it the first time (Brand new 0hr machine), but a season later (same exact machine with more demo hours on it) I noticed it and commented on it then.

I think the reason I didn't see it the first time is that the paint was shiny and smooth and it didn't have the roughness to collect the grass. Get 50+ hours on one and it roughens up and catches and holds onto the grass....wallahhh...clump city!
Hmm, Just with regards to having the shiny paint, I did experience the clumping from less than 5hrs, I posted a photo on one of the threads back then.

Is this VX4 the current design & still being manufactured ? I dont understand why there arent more ppl complaining. I mean here in sydney there must be a hundred or more VX4s, all cutting the same grasses in the same conditions as me. They are either not getting the clumping or the get it but dont care less.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=380313&page=32

post # 312

The grass in those pictures was dry as a bone. We hadnt had rain for a month atleast at that point & stinking hot days. Its not terribly bad clumping but its still doing it, where it shouldnt.