Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-01-2013, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
...and look even the hustler guy is pointing at where the problem is.
Haaaaa, that seriously cracked me up!

Ridin, look how similar the Scag deck is. The spindles are practically dead on. Only difference is the gap between the blades and the front of the deck...
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=223

Jason, if you look on the baffle, you can clearly see where its been kept clean from clippings hitting it. This baffle was just a prototype but Im just so over it, I cant really be fcuked doing anymore.
I had thought that if I could get some steel pipe, say 10" diameter I could cut a quarter out of it, and weld it on. I could extend it out as far as I liked, past the problem areas. No or few sharp edged to anything to catch on.

Something like this...
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2013, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

To me it looks like the chambers on the hustler are more oval shaped than the scag's circular shaped chambers.

Mickhippy, beautiful rottie. Awesome dogs.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What do you think about the idea of not having the boxed section behind the blue. rather than cutting that edge where you have, leave that there, do away with the rear boxing?

this appears to me as the major difference between this deck and EVERY other deck I look at online.

Have you discussed this section as being an issue already?

Name:  VX4 Mick.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  38.8 KB
Old 03-02-2013, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i don't think we are talking about the same thing. i'm talking about this in blue. you need something there to deflect the clippings out of the deck instead of them staying in the deck and not going out of the discharge chute. i think they are getting pushed past the discharge chute exit and they keep circling around building up.
Attached Images

Last edited by weeze; 03-02-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowleak1 View Post
To me it looks like the chambers on the hustler are more oval shaped than the scag's circular shaped chambers.

Mickhippy, beautiful rottie. Awesome dogs.
Thanks, he was a good dog!

Green, while I think that boxed section does have something to do with it, I think its more the way or where the blade throws the clippings. I mean, it could be where the spindle is located so your saying close the chute from the rear, ie making the chute smaller does have merit. Maybe thats something you could look into, be a pretty easy thing to try out if you could get a little piece of thick checker plate. Id have to take everything off etc.

Before I cut that piece out, thats where the clippings would get caught. Cutting it out didnt solve the problem, just moved it. Instead of cutting, maybe I should of added.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Haaaaa, that seriously cracked me up!

Ridin, look how similar the Scag deck is. The spindles are practically dead on. Only difference is the gap between the blades and the front of the deck...
http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=223

Hey, I'm on your side bro. Just tryin' to help.

I still think it's cool how you overlayed those pics, but.... the Scag deck you used is their 48" deck (someone can correct me if I'm wrong, because it might be the 52" version), while the Hustler is a 60" deck.

When I was looking at both Scag and Hustler machines last spring, I got down on the floor at both dealers to look at the deck's underside to compare. To me, it appears that the 61" V+ is shaped different than the 48" & 52" V+. The 61" appears to be more V shaped as far as the front edge baffle goes, than the smaller versions. That's what I was going by where you replied to me here. If it is as it looks, then it is also sharper or more V shaped than the VX4.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
we aren't talking about the same thing. i'm talking about this in blue. you need something there to deflect the clippings out of the deck instead of them staying in the deck and not going out of the discharge chute. i think they are getting pushed past the discharge chute exit and they keep circling around building up.
Hey Jason,

Thank u kindly for your help. I see what your saying, you think adding in a baffle will help the problem.

My thoughts are that this area in pink is where the grass is gathering. So while a baffle may help somewhat, if the grass is gathering in the pink area then a baffle wont solve our issue.

What do you think?

Name:  Jason.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  17.9 KB
Old 03-02-2013, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

the grass really shouldn't be hitting the boxed in area very much if at all. i think adding the baffle would direct the clippings where they should go. since no baffle is there the clippings aren't going out sideways enough. they are coming out of the deck at too far of an angle making the clippings hit the box area. i hope that makes sense.

i'm no expert or anything but that is just what looks like is happening.

if the baffle was there the clippings would hit it and then exit the deck at the proper angle. instead some clippings are being forced back into the deck instead of discharging.

Last edited by weeze; 03-02-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Green, while I think that boxed section does have something to do with it, I think its more the way or where the blade throws the clippings. I mean, it could be where the spindle is located so your saying close the chute from the rear, ie making the chute smaller does have merit. Maybe thats something you could look into, be a pretty easy thing to try out if you could get a little piece of thick checker plate. Id have to take everything off etc.

Before I cut that piece out, thats where the clippings would get caught. Cutting it out didnt solve the problem, just moved it. Instead of cutting, maybe I should of added.
Ill give the silly looking aluminium addition a quick trial on monday firstly, when that doesnt help then as soon as I can I will try bringing the rear edge of chute up to a point. However It will still be left with a flat section where some grass could maybe gather.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
the grass really shouldn't be hitting the boxed in area very much if at all. i think adding the baffle would direct the clippings where they should go. since no baffle is there the clippings aren't going out sideways enough. they are coming out of the deck at too far of an angle making the clippings hit the box area.
Oh right, so you think adding the baffle in there will prevent the grass from hitting that rear section?

I agree the clippings are coming out the chute at such an angle that they end up hitting the rear of the deck.

Other decks I have looked at all appear to have a thin edge which curves around on the outside, away from the chute, leaving nothing for grass to really gather up on. This is the major difference I can see with the VX4 deck from lets say the XR7 deck, which also doesnt have a baffle on there.