Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2013, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

hey if this works do i get any money from hustler for helping them out?

Old 03-02-2013, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowleak1 View Post
After reading this entire thread, I am thoroughly convinced that the best cutting deck I have ever used was the 52" on my residential cub cadet zero turn 7 years ago. Nobody makes true tunnels anymore, or rounded chambers for the blades.
I assume you're trying to be funny?

If you're serious, take a look at the Gravely Pro Ride. It has a true tunnel deck. A guy here names Razorblades, has one and loves it. he has posted both pics, and a video of it cutting and it really blows the stuff out the chute.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

yes this is how grass should be coming out of the discharge.

you need a turbo baffle.

Turbo-Baffle increases discharge velocity and prevents cut grass from reentering the deck cutting cycle.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2013, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i wonder if you could order that piece from scag and then drill 2 holes and bolt it on. if it worked you could then reinforce it with welds.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2013, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Hey, I'm on your side bro. Just tryin' to help.

I still think it's cool how you overlayed those pics, but.... the Scag deck you used is their 48" deck (someone can correct me if I'm wrong, because it might be the 52" version), while the Hustler is a 60" deck.

When I was looking at both Scag and Hustler machines last spring, I got down on the floor at both dealers to look at the deck's underside to compare. To me, it appears that the 61" V+ is shaped different than the 48" & 52" V+. The 61" appears to be more V shaped as far as the front edge baffle goes, than the smaller versions. That's what I was going by where you replied to me here. If it is as it looks, then it is also sharper or more V shaped than the VX4.
I know you are mate, no problem at all! I appreciate the input for sure!
To be honest, I grabbed that scag deck pic off here. I thought it was the 61" but I really cant be sure now. Compare the scalp wheels. The scags do look a tad bigger so you could very well be right!

Jason, the baffle Ive put on has helped a lot but it still clumps. I had to cut the little piece out to get more of an angle, from rear of chute to just in front of the spindle. If I didnt cut it, the baffle would of been too flat.
I just braved the rain and slop to take this pic. Its taken looking straight into the chute. The vertical angle of the baffle is close to 70'. Its that way to diflect the clippings down, help gravity so to speak. I could probably try getting the baffle back further closer to the boxed section and make it more vertical. Trouble is, thats more grinding and will make it harder to get back to spec and I was told not to cut it right back near the deck as it works as bracing.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2013, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

yes i see. i think you are on the right track though. it has helped.

another thing i notice about the vx4 is the front part of the deck. look how the others it gets smaller as it gets closer to the discharge chute where as the hustler stays the same width the whole way. this is why there is more space in front of the blades on the deere and scag deck compared to the hustler deck. i'm not sure how much this affects the discharging of clippings though.

the front baffle and the turbo baffle are the only differences i can see in the vx4 compared to the other decks.
Attached Images

Last edited by weeze; 03-02-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

yes more vertical would help i think. the scag baffle seems to be totally vertical up and down and then angled in almost to the front of the spindle.

the deere front baffle gets alot smaller than the others as it gets closer to the discharge. this may be why the turbo baffle on the deere is smaller.

Last edited by weeze; 03-02-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Jason, the baffle Ive put on has helped a lot but it still clumps. I had to cut the little piece out to get more of an angle, from rear of chute to just in front of the spindle. If I didnt cut it, the baffle would of been too flat.
I just braved the rain and slop to take this pic. Its taken looking straight into the chute. The vertical angle of the baffle is close to 70'. Its that way to diflect the clippings down, help gravity so to speak. I could probably try getting the baffle back further closer to the boxed section and make it more vertical. Trouble is, thats more grinding and will make it harder to get back to spec and I was told not to cut it right back near the deck as it works as bracing.
So you think this has fixed the problem a lot? Do you have a pic of the clumping thats still occuring with the baffle in place?

All I can say is what a headache!
Old 03-02-2013, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i hope hustler is listening and paying attention.

anyways it's late here. 1am so i need to be off to bed. i guess it's morning in aussie right now.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
yes more vertical would help i think. the scag baffle seems to be totally vertical up and down and then angled in almost to the front of the spindle.
The guy that helped me with it is a Scag dealer so he knew about the baffle.
Like I said, the problem going forward is the amount of grinding and cutting. Its pretty hard to bring it back if I go any further.