Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2013, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
So you think this has fixed the problem a lot? Do you have a pic of the clumping thats still occuring with the baffle in place?

All I can say is what a headache!
A headache is a total understatement!

It has helped, but I really cant say how much. Had such varied weather its hard to get an average. You know like if its raining and or long grass then I cant compare that to dry, short grass. Weve had about 400mm of rain the last 2 weeks, 150mm since yesterday afternoon. Once its dry enough the grass will be super long so not a good time to judge a deck. Once I can start cutting again I'll take some pics. The way things are going it could be a couple of weeks before that will happen!

I am certain a turbo baffle is the way to go. Its just the shape and position/angles etc. I frickin hate having to do Hustlers trial and error. Shouldnt have to! They could at least send me some funkin paint!
Old 03-02-2013, 02:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
A headache is a total understatement!

It has helped, but I really cant say how much. Had such varied weather its hard to get an average. You know like if its raining and or long grass then I cant compare that to dry, short grass. Weve had about 400mm of rain the last 2 weeks, 150mm since yesterday afternoon. Once its dry enough the grass will be super long so not a good time to judge a deck. Once I can start cutting again I'll take some pics. The way things are going it could be a couple of weeks before that will happen!

I am certain a turbo baffle is the way to go. Its just the shape and position/angles etc. I frickin hate having to do Hustlers trial and error. Shouldnt have to! They could at least send me some funkin paint!
Your probably right & not trying to dispute you in any way, only trying to discuss it and work through it in my head. But what im wondering is if the VX4 needs a turbo baffle to prevent clumping, why would it be that the XR7 didnt need a turbo baffle.

I suppose its not a straight forward answer.

The question is what changed between the XR7 & the VX4 to cause the clumping. if we can answer that question, we would be able to come up with a solution, would that be right.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Your probably right & not trying to dispute you in any way, only trying to discuss it and work through it in my head. But what im wondering is if the VX4 needs a turbo baffle to prevent clumping, why would it be that the XR7 didnt need a turbo baffle.

I suppose its not a straight forward answer.

The question is what changed between the XR7 & the VX4 to cause the clumping. if we can answer that question, we would be able to come up with a solution, would that be right.
Its all good mate, I should of put this in the post! ha

I wish I could find a good pic of the underside or of the xr7, then we could get a better idea of what going on.

I believe it does have some to do with the boxed in area, but I also believe it has to do with the rear of the chute.
At the end of the day, all that we need is something that will stop clippings bunching up on the back of the chute. Trouble is, to find a solution means cutting, grinding, welding sanding and painting each time we change things.
This is my second attempt with absolutley no support from Hustler except to say, yes, you can cut that bit out, but leave some there for bracing! Just hopeless!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Hmm, Just with regards to having the shiny paint, I did experience the clumping from less than 5hrs, I posted a photo on one of the threads back then.

Is this VX4 the current design & still being manufactured ? I dont understand why there arent more ppl complaining. I mean here in sydney there must be a hundred or more VX4s, all cutting the same grasses in the same conditions as me. They are either not getting the clumping or the get it but dont care less.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=380313&page=32

post # 312

The grass in those pictures was dry as a bone. We hadnt had rain for a month atleast at that point & stinking hot days. Its not terribly bad clumping but its still doing it, where it shouldnt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Even my local Hustler dealer calls them free fow decks. That quote you have there is just poor and inaccurate advertising on Hustler's part. There is no tunnelbuilt into that deck.
I'm afraid you and your dealer are going to need to straighten Hustler out on their "inaccurate advertising," call them up and tell them they've got it all wrong. They may appreciate your input, but then again they may tell you they have a little more knowledge of the product they design and manufacture, than their dealers.

Just say Hustler would look at these photos, one of a cut you give very high marks for looking good and being cut by a Dixon mower.

They then look at a photo of a cut with your VX4 deck that you are terribly dissatisfied with, when trying to find your problems they would have a very hard time distinguishing. They then say, these are dry conditions, and both mowers are doing as well as can be expected. They will then look at your other photos and write it off as a problem coming from thick moisture laden offbreed grass; with too much being taken off in one pass. I wish Hustler would attempt to remedy some of your problems, but I'm afraid one or two disgruntled customers aren't going to pull attention away from the other 98 Hustler will claim is very satisfied.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Puppy,

Just like how Hustler says top speed is for transport only. Yet you claim BS. So which is it? When Huslter disagrees with you they dont know anything? When they agree with you they do?

Also this problem has been on many threads from different people. I can only think of you and one guy in tenn. that are happy with the cut. This is a widespread problem on all types of turf...

Most open style decks do not clump on wet turf so please stop blaming it on damp grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2013, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Also it wasnt long ago when I read a review by you on a new Super Z demo which left two strips of uncut grass. Yet you bought anyway and the problem magically disappeared! I have a feeling the problem isnt gone but you have figured out a mowing schedule that favors your deck. Us commercial mowers dont have the flexability to an open schedule. We cut wet, dry, long, short, slow, fast etc. etc. If a deck has a flaw we find it quick...and it costs us money!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Two excellent posts/points GMLC.

Puppy-
I know you love your Hustlers. We all know it. Still doesn't make you, or them correct, eith in the way the deck performs or in the terminology used. Especially when so many have the issue being discussed here. They can't all be imagining it, or cutting with it incorrectly. There IS a problem. We are all just trying to help two fellow LCO's who make their living (as opposed to just maintaining their own property where QOC may be as important, but not as critical) figure it out, and thereby avoid future headaches.

TNGrasscutter was very happy with his SZ last year (he hasn't been around for quite a while. I hope he's doing well and is OK), but he also admitted he was cutting stiff southern grasses only and had no experience on other turf types with it.

I just want to add-

To be fair to Hustler though, they didn't call it a tunnel deck in your quote. They did use the term tunnel there, but only in describing the area in which the airflow travels. A better term for them to use there would have been "air channel" instead of tunnel.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Also it wasnt long ago when I read a review by you on a new Super Z demo which left two strips of uncut grass. Yet you bought anyway and the problem magically disappeared! I have a feeling the problem isnt gone but you have figured out a mowing schedule that favors your deck. Us commercial mowers dont have the flexability to an open schedule. We cut wet, dry, long, short, slow, fast etc. etc. If a deck has a flaw we find it quick...and it costs us money!
Posted via Mobile Device
I have no reason to tell you anything but the truth, the mower I demoed left two strips partially uncut, one between the center blade and the left outside blade, and one between the center blade and the right outside blade. This was also verified by the dealer; once he operated the mower himself.

I was told by the dealer along with the area rep this had not been seen before (which I found a little hard to believe). I told them before they special built my mower; that if I saw this problem again they would be taking the mower back. I have not seen it with the mower I now have, if I had, the mower would not be in my possession. I will probably trade the mower anyway if they implement fuel injection.

Now, as to the remark about "transport speed," Hustler or Scag neither one would offer a mower; that can according to their advertisements achieve a ground speed of 16 mph, and tell you it is not for mowing, but only for moving from one place to another. Scag even produced a video showing and stating their Scag Cheetah will mow grass at its top speed of 16 mph. This is a speed many on LawnSite claim there is no way to mow grass when traveling that fast, many have even made the ridiculous statement, "the blades can't turn fast enough to cut all the grass at that speed."

Hustler nor Scag (fastest mower manufacturers) say anything about "TRANSPORT" speed, they advertise 16 mph.

QUOTE:

Super Z HD

The new Super Z HD is designed with the industry leading HyperDrive™ System, VX4™ deck technology and Kawasaki engines. New enhanced features include 26-inch tires, optional premium Grammer suspension seat and a faster ground speed of 16mph.[/COLOR][/B] The Super Z HD is backed by 3 or 5-year limited warranty* and 5-year/3000 hour warranty* on the HyperDrive™

Scag Cheetah

The Scag Cheetah
The Fastest Cat on Earth.
The Scag Cheetah is the fastest and most comfortable cat in the Scag family. Clocking in at speeds up to 16 mph and featuring a coil-over shock suspension system, the Cheetah is truly a remarkable zero-turn mower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Two excellent posts/points GMLC.

Puppy-
I know you love your Hustlers. We all know it. Still doesn't make you, or them correct, eith in the way the deck performs or in the terminology used.
This is funny, you saying you are correct and calling the people that designed and manufacture the machine, incorrect...

Last edited by puppypaws; 03-02-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
I know you are mate, no problem at all! I appreciate the input for sure!
To be honest, I grabbed that scag deck pic off here. I thought it was the 61" but I really cant be sure now. Compare the scalp wheels. The scags do look a tad bigger so you could very well be right!
Mick,

unless something has changed, the 61" V+ decks have gauge wheels at all four corners. That's what I use to determine them at a glance in pictures like those on here.

After all this talk and the pics posted, I think that with the way the VX4 is designed, and after the clear straight on picture you just posted of your SZ chute baffle you came up with, you may be getting very close to your fix. Like you pointed out to Jason, you shouldn't have to do any of this BS, but since you want to get the results you are looking for, maybe you can add to the one you have without any further change to the deck itself.

What I am getting at, is maybe you (or Green could do it) can leave that baffle you made right where it is, but instead of it being angled back and down like it is now, tack weld a piece shaped the same as far as the taper and all, but hanging straight down veryically, instead of going backand down at an angle like it is now. I undertsand why you did it that way, but without a wind tunnel to see the actual airlfow, we are all just guessing at the affects each change has on it. None of the other machines that have a "turbo" baffle are angled down and back like yours. Maybe that's the ticket and why they made them that way?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post

This is funny, you saying you are correct and calling the people that designed and manufacture the machine, incorrect...
No, I'm saying they used the wrong terminology to describe what they were talking about at that moment. Every other manu uses the term "Tunnel Deck" to describe the decks I posted pics of. If you look at the pics of a VX4 and those I posted, it is quite easy to see who is using the term "tunnel" correctly, and who isn't.