Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Puppy I have personally talked to Scag and Ridin', if I remember correctly, spoke with Hustler. Those top speeds are designed for transport only. As for Scags video it says for less demanding cutting use high gear. When cutting a 1/2" off at a time anything can cut good!

On another occasion I had an in depth conversation with Gravely about why they dont allow my 5400 trans to use the high gear like Scag does. There response was people would try to cut at that speed and due to BTS and deck design cut quality drops after 13 mph.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by GMLC; 03-02-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Anyway Im done arguing. I dont know why you continue to single greenology out? He has been more than patient and has asked you nicely several times to please stop. He knows how to cut, he knows how to drive a Z and he knows his grass conditions better than us. I for one would have lost my cool a long time ago if I were in his shoes....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2013, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Puppy I have personally talked to Scag and Ridin', if I remember correctly, spoke with Hustler. Those top speeds are designed for transport only.

On another occasion I had an in depth conversation with Gravely about why they dont allow my 5400 trans to use the high gear like Scag does. There response was people would try to cut at that speed and due to BTS and deck design cut quality drops after 13 mph.
Posted via Mobile Device
Those are the exact points I have been making whenever one of the "cut at top speed" threads comes up. There may be a very few places that someone could cut at top speed and recieve acceptable results, but not the average LCO. Certainly not up here.

You are also correct GMLC, I did talk to Hustler and asked them directly, and they said the top speed was to make transporting between jobs faster to save time and money, not for actual cutting. I'm sure puppy recalls that thread. He should, he argued with me (just like you said above in one of your earlier posts) that he was right and they were wrong. Now he is trying to say they (Hustler) is right, and I am wrong about the terminology. I'll say one thing for him- He is loyal to his brand!
Old 03-02-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
No, I'm saying they used the wrong terminology to describe what they were talking about at that moment. Every other manu uses the term "Tunnel Deck" to describe the decks I posted pics of. If you look at the pics of a VX4 and those I posted, it is quite easy to see who is using the term "tunnel" correctly, and who isn't.
I have a tendency to agree with you, but it's rather hard to repeat what an unknown says when people are able to refer to a companies documentation on their definition. In other words, I would like to use your terminology, but there is no merit as an arguing point.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Anyway Im done arguing. I dont know why you continue to single greenology out? He has been more than patient and has asked you nicely several times to please stop. He knows how to cut, he knows how to drive a Z and he knows his grass conditions better than us. I for one would have lost my cool a long time ago if I were in his shoes....
Posted via Mobile Device
I certainly would hate to see you lose your "Cool"...Is that not something kids refer to in their teenage years...
Old 03-02-2013, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I certainly would hate to see you lose your "Cool"...Is that not something kids refer to in their teenage years...
My kids are 6 and 4 and already use the term!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2013, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
My kids are 6 and 4 and already use the term!
Posted via Mobile Device
That's great, smart "CHILDREN"
Old 03-02-2013, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Greenology,

Have you had your area Hustler rep at your properties while you mow? If not you need to pressure your dealer. If yes you need to get Hustlers district manager. Your may have to work your way up. Theres a good chance this hasnt gone past your dealer if you havent pushed it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2013, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hustler SHOULD have a Google alert on their brand names. Every time Excell, Hustler, VX4, XR-7, Hyper-Drive, etc come up ANYWHERE on the internet, they would get an email.

They NEED to address this issue. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice..Shame on me!? Don't get fooled again!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 03-02-2013, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Mick,

unless something has changed, the 61" V+ decks have gauge wheels at all four corners. That's what I use to determine them at a glance in pictures like those on here.

After all this talk and the pics posted, I think that with the way the VX4 is designed, and after the clear straight on picture you just posted of your SZ chute baffle you came up with, you may be getting very close to your fix. Like you pointed out to Jason, you shouldn't have to do any of this BS, but since you want to get the results you are looking for, maybe you can add to the one you have without any further change to the deck itself.

What I am getting at, is maybe you (or Green could do it) can leave that baffle you made right where it is, but instead of it being angled back and down like it is now, tack weld a piece shaped the same as far as the taper and all, but hanging straight down veryically, instead of going backand down at an angle like it is now. I undertsand why you did it that way, but without a wind tunnel to see the actual airlfow, we are all just guessing at the affects each change has on it. None of the other machines that have a "turbo" baffle are angled down and back like yours. Maybe that's the ticket and why they made them that way?
My bad on the scag v vx4 pic. I didnt manipulate them, they kept the same perspective. They didnt stretch or anything.

Anyway, My problem at the moment is the rain! Its SERIOUSLY wet here now and showers / rain expected for most of this week. When I can finally get back onto them, the grass is going to be full on. I have time to cut n weld etc but no chance to test anything. Im going to be flat out once it dries so wont have time to mess with any of it. Same with my dealer, he's going to be too busy to screw around with this stuff!

My next plan was to make that baffle more vertical, but to do so would mean grinding off the top part of the deck, in red first pic. The trouble with doing that is once its gone, its gone for good. At the moment I can just weld what Ive cut off back on, easy. Im annoyed that we didnt/couldnt cut the top off closer to the deck shell. The piece thats still there just gets in the way now. I wonder if I could cut it out with a narrow wheel and weld it back onto the piece Ive already cut off. Hmmmm

I know what your saying though, leave everything thats there already and just spot weld a piece over the top. I have a feeling I may loose a lot of the angle (from spindle to chute) but I'll go see my dealer and see if what he thinks.

What I would really like to do is get rid of everything like in the second pic. That way its all clear for a full vertical baffle like in third pic. That was my plan from the start!
Attached Images