Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2012, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

did you guys play around with the deck adjustments at all. i played around with my VX4 and got it dialed in and it rivals the velocity plus deck. adjusted the baffles and deck pitch. also i run high life blades on it. it throws wet clippings 10-12 feet.

Single cut with VX4 deck (granted this is dry) and connecticut.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzy View Post
did you guys play around with the deck adjustments at all. i played around with my VX4 and got it dialed in and it rivals the velocity plus deck. adjusted the baffles and deck pitch. also i run high life blades on it. it throws wet clippings 10-12 feet.

Single cut with VX4 deck (granted this is dry) and connecticut.

Tizzy, Thanks for the positive review. Nice looking yard. I wish I was only reading these types of reviews. Can you give your recipe for you deck set up? Looking for blade brand, type, part #, place of purchase. Front baffle and pitch setting, etc.

I'm going to try some different blades on my 66" XR7 as well in hopes of making it perform better as far as clipping dispersal.

Cut quality has never been much of an issue with my standard deck or XR7 (once baffles were added) it's always been more of a clippings problem. Maybe I'm just expecting too much from a mower. It's not often a clumping issue. Sometimes it leaves a even blanket of clippings, but they are large and can actually cover the grass. Spend hr. plus a day with a back pack blower making them disappear which somewhat defeats the purpose of a fast mower.
No complaints other than that. They've treated me great so far.

The new mower would be perfect if the deck is the best, they'd put bigger gas tanks on them, they'd get rid of the flex forks for an isolated platform and maybe an air ride seat, and it would be nice to have adjustment on the deck lift pedal to help aid in lift function. Are the new VX4s any easier to lift?

A dealer told me there is a rumor that Kawasaki is going to drop the carbed engine line all together and go solely DFI in the near future.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh yea. Forgot to ask. Are you bagging clippings? Did you have to double cut to get this end result?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
This kills me to hear. I found a left over for $10800.00 and suspension seat. I love the way they're built. Wish they held more fuel capacity and had an isolated platform but that's not what will keep me from buying. The stupid thing has got to cut and leave the clippings properly. First and for most that's what any mower has got to do well. The perks come later like, performing it faster and lasting longer. I hope you find the fix. From what I'm reading the high lifts might be helpful. It would be worth a try.

I'm looking at the Gravely Pro Turn 400 which is new this year, costs as much $11300.00, has no proven track record, less warranty, and probably not built as heavy duty. It does have an air seat, isolated platform, 13 mph, and 13.4 gal tanks.

Also looking at the Husqvarna PZ6034FXZT. Found one for $8900.00 but I have to travel for it. No big deal. It's been out longer then the 400. But again less warranty, probably not built as heavy duty, and only 11 gallon tanks. It also has the isolated deck and the super high two speed hydro deal like the Cheetahs which is not proven.

Not to sound like the broken record but I can't demo any of these prior to buying. I know Hustler but hate the previous decks cuts. Accessories for the PZ and the 400 cost less (exp. bagging system roughly $1000.00 less) but they may not cut any better then the VX4. What to do. What to do.
Buy a hustler super Z and you wont go wrong. Mine just clicked over 290 hours, and it cuts great. I played around a little with the baffle adjustment, and once i got it dialed in for the type of grass we have here, it cuts and stipes awesome. Its rediculously FAST, and I love the new hydro system. Not too many mowers out there that you can mow a cemetary with and still lay your hand comfortably on the hydro cooler......thats impressive heat reduction!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithfabinc View Post
Buy a hustler super Z and you wont go wrong. Mine just clicked over 290 hours, and it cuts great. I played around a little with the baffle adjustment, and once i got it dialed in for the type of grass we have here, it cuts and stipes awesome. Its rediculously FAST, and I love the new hydro system. Not too many mowers out there that you can mow a cemetary with and still lay your hand comfortably on the hydro cooler......thats impressive heat reduction!
What "setting" have you got the baffle on?
What blades and what kind of grass?
Dry grass or damp/wet?
Are you in the actual growing season yet?

Id like to try and make dispersal better on mine so if your cutting similar to me, you may be able to help.

Some pics would be nice too!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
What "setting" have you got the baffle on?
What blades and what kind of grass?
Dry grass or damp/wet?
Are you in the actual growing season yet?

Id like to try and make dispersal better on mine so if your cutting similar to me, you may be able to help.

Some pics would be nice too!
The baffle is in the second hole down from the top, the blades are a high lift 20.5" blade like the older exmarks use, deck is pitched 3/16" down in the front, plastic deflector removed. I mow mostly fescue grass with a few bermuda and centipede lawns here and there. Early morning lawns have a very heavy dew, and I havent had any problems as long as I was cutting a reasonable amount off. Mine is a 31Hp. I will be mowing some really nice lawns before the weekend, and I will try to post some pics. Over-all, Im very pleased with the mower, and I actually have this one for sale to get the new VX4 Diesel model they have out. I used to have a diesel z with the XR7 deck, and I cant wait to see how well the VX4 deck does with the diesel pushing it.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thats my problem, Im having to take quite a bit off, that 1/3 rule went out the window months ago. When it gets that long its also holding moisture and we've had an insane amount of rain days here. Its raining as I write this, we've had rain since last Saturday and the place is soaked, again, so I wont be doing any mowing until at least next Tuesday.

It will be interesting to see how you go when the grass really starts cranking and after a lot of rain. Let me know how you get on ok?

The diesel sounds cool but dont you think the weight might be an issue? Its a heavy machine now at what 650kg or so. I didnt know they had one coming but be to heavy for me anyway.

Oh, and thanks for the info. I might have a go at changing the baffles and look into some different blades.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
A dealer told me there is a rumor that Kawasaki is going to drop the carbed engine line all together and go solely DFI in the near future.
I sure hope not, they have been pretty troublesome, and the 37 is a guzzler. I am having better luck installing after market efi kits too regular air cooled models for $299...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2012, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
I sure hope not, they have been pretty troublesome, and the 37 is a guzzler. I am having better luck installing after market efi kits too regular air cooled models for $299...
Posted via Mobile Device
Efi kits???? Please tell me more!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Efi kits???? Please tell me more!
Agreed. I need to hear about this too! Any pics, and how hard to install is it? Which engines are capable of taking the kit?