Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-03-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i found this pic in an old thread. he cut this out of a dixie chopper mower. it looks like he just cut the whole box out almost.
Attached Images

Last edited by weeze; 03-03-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Your illustrations are so much nicer than mine Mick. They look like a professional drew them, while mine look like a third grader on meth drew them

What if you radiused the leading edge from where the baffle in white attaches down, and towards the rear to prevent a snag point?

I wish I were over there to give you a hand because fabbing things like this up is something I'm actually good at, and I enjoy doing it. I could make that red curved piece in a matter of minutes for you.

I don't think that baffle needs to be angled as much as you think it does. The change in airflow by having it there will affect everything alot more than you would imagine. I know that/learned that from playing around with my homemade baffle last year trying to get the Meg-Mo's to work under my MOD deck. A seemingly small change can have a major affect.
But yours are so much more pretty! I might print it and put it on the fridge!

Its starting to look something like what Green has done with that aluminium, kinda.. http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=295

I just wish I had access to a full work shop and steel. I could mess around with it but I need a plan, a real idea before going to my friendly Scag dealer to fab it up. I cant take time away from him, I doubt he'd be paid for it by the importers. What ever I put on or do, has to be there for some time so it cant be a total fail.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

the box may be a big part of the problem. look at this scag deck pic.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
i found this pic in an old thread. he cut this out of a dixie chopper mower. it looks like he just cut the whole box out almost.
Isn't that Richard Martin's picture of his old Dixie?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mick/Green

There seems to be a lot of attention surrounding that boxed out section at the rear of the chute in all these posts. I wonder if it being boxed like it is, but open at the bottom like it is, is causing some sort of low pressure area that draws the clippings back against that area?

The pressure issue would be something similar to adjusting your front baffle up or down in that it changes the air pressure dynamics and creates more or less suction depending on the location of the baffle and on what you need at the moment for the type of grass you are cutting. Maybe that's what's happening with that design in that area.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Isn't that Richard Martin's picture of his old Dixie?
yeah i think so. was he having the same problem or something?
Old 03-04-2013, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
yeah i think so. was he having the same problem or something?
I believe so. IIRC, he just brought it up either earlier in this thread, or in another one on here somewhere about that Dixie. Hey, I was going to send you a PM, but see I can't.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The minor clumping in these pics just doesnt tend to show up in a digital photo. When I got home and put these photos on pc, I couldnt believe the difference from photo & in person. So keep in mind the pictures here which dont look like much of an issue, in reality when I was looking at them today they were atleast twice as pronounced then what the pic shows.

This grass is buffalo. not particularly thick, maybe slightly damp but has had the hot sun on it all day, was cut between 3-4pm in afternoon. Was only cut 8 days ago by me on the same deck height as has been for a few months now. Its not the kind of clumping that Im too concerned about, but it just shows them in a situation where there is no reason IE the grass is not too thick or wet.

Anyway just thought I would share them.

Name:  Read.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  93.8 KB

Name:  Read 2.JPG
Views: 67
Size:  34.5 KB

Name:  Read 3.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  39.2 KB

Name:  Read 4.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  103.6 KB

Name:  Read 5.JPG
Views: 67
Size:  93.2 KB

Name:  Read 6.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  119.7 KB
Old 03-04-2013, 03:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
the box may be a big part of the problem. look at this scag deck pic.
The back of the deck starts after the curve. Even the angle cut out is behind the curve.

Green, I hear ya about it being difficult to take pics. The sun has to be in a good position, small clumps dont show up etc.
Its like photos of slopes dont look as bad as they actually are!

Ok, I think Ive sorted it...
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2013, 04:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just putting this out there.

Green, I notice you are not using the OEM plastic discharge chute. I have read several times in the past that the chute must be down to disperse the clippings. I know that I had to leave it down on my demos and it did "help some". It's as if they engineered the chute to correct our clump problem!

Just putting this out there!
Posted via Mobile Device