Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-04-2013, 05:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Just putting this out there.

Green, I notice you are not using the OEM plastic discharge chute. I have read several times in the past that the chute must be down to disperse the clippings. I know that I had to leave it down on my demos and it did "help some". It's as if they engineered the chute to correct our clump problem!

Just putting this out there!
Posted via Mobile Device
Fair point. Hustler do mention something about the chute being designed to help velocity, in their video demo.

I cant recall if when I first noticed the clumping whether I had the chute down or not, I did use the chute for the first month or so. I guess I could put it back on to give it a try.

Personally I dont think it will make any diff, but no harm in trying.

Unless someone else has already ruled this out?
Old 03-04-2013, 05:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Been there done that! I tested it before I did any mods.
This is same lawn, same day.
Deflector up... http://flic.kr/p/cHxDnf
Deflector down.. http://flic.kr/p/cHxEs1

Thing is, its clumping before it hits the deflector, at the back where theres little to know Velocity!

Green, you could give it a go, its an easy thing to try. You may have different results to me????
Old 03-04-2013, 06:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I knew about the chute suggestion in between my demo periods.

On the second demo I experienced the clumping REAL bad and the chute helped fan it out a bit better, but like Mick said, it IS still there. I was just giving you a heads up as they're going to point the blame on the chute!

Similar to my issues with my Holden (Pontiac). I have aftermarket wheels and tires and they were pointing to them as the cause of an alignment issue. I made sure to swap the stockers back on prior to the dealership visit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2013, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It's funny you used a car analogy. I'm expecting them to blame the non use of deflector.
I'd say its like not being able to drive a car without mud flaps!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2013, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I believe so. IIRC, he just brought it up either earlier in this thread, or in another one on here somewhere about that Dixie. Hey, I was going to send you a PM, but see I can't.
yeah i turned it off a year or so ago cuz i kept getting hate messages.

i'll turn it back on.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Apparently Hustler are now looking into it. I wont go any further about it on here yet but at least the topics been raised.

In the mean time, I will try Ridin's idea (modified a little) as it adds rather than takes more off the deck. Basically, I'll be getting it back to spec and then add stuff which will be easy to remove later if I have to, a much better option!

I took the big baffle off yesterday in preparation for seeing my mechanic today. Well, he's been snowed under so tomorrow now, hopefully.

I found something in the shed that may come in handy, the deflector chute off my first 04 SZ...
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

hmmmm very interesting.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Apparently Hustler are now looking into it. I wont go any further about it on here yet but at least the topics been raised.

In the mean time, I will try Ridin's idea (modified a little) as it adds rather than takes more off the deck. Basically, I'll be getting it back to spec and then add stuff which will be easy to remove later if I have to, a much better option!

I took the big baffle off yesterday in preparation for seeing my mechanic today. Well, he's been snowed under so tomorrow now, hopefully.

I found something in the shed that may come in handy, the deflector chute off my first 04 SZ...
'Bout friggin time Hustler. Good to hear anyway.

What are ya thinking mick? Maybe lop off one side of that deflector to make the angular baffle piece? It's hard to tell from the pic. Is it heavy enough gauge steel that if a rock or stick were to be slung into it by the blade it wouldn't bend? It looks like either of the two sides could work for the baffle piece underneath eh?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
'Bout friggin time Hustler. Good to hear anyway.

What are ya thinking mick? Maybe lop off one side of that deflector to make the angular baffle piece? It's hard to tell from the pic. Is it heavy enough gauge steel that if a rock or stick were to be slung into it by the blade it wouldn't bend?
I just found the deflector down the shed, on top shelf at back just out of view. I was lucky to spot it.

Anyway, Im looking at all the bends already in it. hmmm, baffle here, baffle there!

Its probably a tad thinner than the deck shell, but not by much. Probably not thick enough for anywhere that may hit a root or something. Be ok for clippings though, ie, a turbo baffle.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, as long as you didn't hit a root or pipe etc., it'd prolly be good enough. Still, it shouldn't have to come to this, and there should be a better way.