Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How much of a decrease in fuel consumption do you see? Do the effect power positively or negatively?
Old 04-04-2012, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quick update.
Received some G6 blades yesterday. Clipping dispersal seems better in the heavier growth but still getting the little windows, not quite as bad I dont think, but still some. The grass wasnt as long as I was expecting but still very thick and lush in places.

Im pretty sure the clippings are finer. I reckon I'll be able to mulch stuff up better on smaller lawns.

It was hard to take a decent pic yesterday, either to dark or I was in wrong spot when sun came out. The grass wasnt quite as long but fairly similar to a pic in the second page of this thread if you care to compare. Grass in second pic came up well!

Im certainly going to keep using these blades for awhile to see how they go. Grass has slowed down now as well so.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2012, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ooops, another update!
I believe there is a service bulletin on the park break linkages so if you have an SZ I suggest you ask your dealer about it. Something just needs tightening!

Mine came apart and locked the park break on. Luckily happened at home so was able to use my tractor to lift azz end onto the trailer. It wasnt rolling anywhere!
Dealer had to replace all linkages and I believe it was the brake drum.
I'll give a big thanks to the dealer on this. Took machine in the morning, they stripped the damaged parts, ordered parts, they were delivered after lunch, put back together and I picked it up late afternoon! Cant ask for more than that!
Old 04-04-2012, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Tizzy, Thanks for the positive review. Nice looking yard. I wish I was only reading these types of reviews. Can you give your recipe for you deck set up? Looking for blade brand, type, part #, place of purchase. Front baffle and pitch setting, etc.

I'm going to try some different blades on my 66" XR7 as well in hopes of making it perform better as far as clipping dispersal.

Are the new VX4s any easier to lift?

A dealer told me there is a rumor that Kawasaki is going to drop the carbed engine line all together and go solely DFI in the near future.
the setup is like so....

deck pitch 1/8" lower in the front
standard hustler high lift blades
baffle set to middle position
tires set at 13psi

two side notes.
keep blades razor sharp
i leave the discharge chute up.

i have never run an XR7 deck so i dont know if its easier to lift but the VX4 is very easy to raise and lower

i have not heard anything on a kawi engine line change
Old 04-04-2012, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had to use my older XR7 SZ the other day. The deck on the new machine is easier, not by weight or springs but by not being so confined. There is more leg room on the new SZ and a better reach for the foot peg. Can get more leverage or something. It is still heavy though!

After a day on the old machine this week, while still very good IMO, the new SZ is worlds apart. Hydros, the power, comfort (Im loving the flex forks) etc is way better on the new.
Old SZ is a little nimbler due to its shorter wheel base but still, the new hydros are that good, I made the right choice getting the new machine!

The lawn pictured above used to take me average 3-3.5hrs to mow, a little quicker in slow/dry periods. I mowed it yesterday, long lush grass, soft ground in places etc in about 2hrs, I even did a little clippings feathering! It would of taken over 3hrs on old SZ for sure!
Basically, saved an hour!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to eat crow. I whined and whined on here about how I wouldn't be able to demo and low and behold my closest dealer has a 60" 34 kaw SZ from last year. First and only one he got in. He wants rid of it and is cutting me a decent deal. I hope to have nice thick grass to demo in about two weeks. Also am going to demo the new Gravely 460 around the same time and possibly a new Husqvarna.

I was at a local Walker dealer today to get parts for my Tanaka trimmer. This guy is probably the best dealer in the valley. He's been after me for years to get rid of a Hustler and buy a Walker. They've improved quite a bit over the last ten years and I'm pretty impressed as far as build and lay out. I don't bag clippings, just thatch in the spring and leaves in the fall. I just can't get my head around making one work in my set up. The Super B with a 61" deck looks nice but can't bag. The weeks where I need to bag I would need their GHS and I couldn't make myself drive around with a grass collector the whole season, in the way and not being used. I may still demo one just for kicks.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Walker B v's New SZ, no contest as far as production! Cut wise may be a different story!

Just drove past a lawn I did yesterday with the G6 blades. They may not have enough lift. Grass was long though!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Subscribe
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2012, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mic, did you notice extra draw on the hp. with the G6s compared to the factory high lifts?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Didn't notice any draw at all. Maybe a tad less actually once cutting. They are very similar in size and weight to the blades I was using.
Mowed a few nice lawns today, cut was great but not cutting much off. I'm pretty happy really!
Posted via Mobile Device