Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-23-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Mick, I cut this with the 72" VX4 a few minutes ago, this grass was last cut 6 days prior to this cut. We have been extremely wet, 3" of rain in the last 4 days, with 1/2" coming last night. As you can see, even with wet conditions due to the stiffness of this southern grass it cuts carpet smooth, and with cutting down to a height of 3" from approximately 6", there are no clippings to be seen. I am adding a photo to show what the grass looks like before cutting, and due to this area being so wet I cannot cut for the fact of tracking.

There is no mower rolling on wheels than can give a better cut under these conditions, and due to being southern stiff blade grasses and weeds, anyone that still has their vision can see why I am more than satisfied with how this deck performs. I am actually more satisfied with this machine than any other on the market, if this were not the case I would own a different brand. The difference being, this mower will cut this type grass at top speed and leave it in this condition.

I am showing these cut pictures for the fact of letting everyone see, no matter what machine their preference may be, this deck will perform flawlessly in my conditions, at speeds and productivity second to none, and this is all one can expect of any mower.

I forgot to mention, these fusion blades have 47 hrs without being touched, this will also let people see the difference the hardness of fusion blades can make.
Looks good. The larger clippings remind me of the Velocity deck. On the first pic left side I can see the clippings. If the grass was thicker and finer I think thats the start of Mics problems. Your southern grass hides it well.

Last edited by GMLC; 05-23-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

New vid if anyones interested.
Not a hell of a lot to see but Id modified and fitted a turbo baffle and thought may as well get some vid, so I can see whats going on as well as show you lot.
Grass was way to short for a real test but I have no doubt I would of got at least a couple small clumps, I couldnt see any! But like i said, grass was far to short.
Anyway...http://youtu.be/VssAmoqFy7A
Old 06-01-2013, 06:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like your on track mate! Thanks for posting it up. Like you say bit short for a final say but if you had no clumps that's something! Only other thing I would say is with the cooler weather the grass would be a little thinner which does play a good part along with the length.

Is that your water tank, the largest one in the vid & if so how many L is it? Are you connected to town water or its not available in your area hence the big tank?
Old 06-01-2013, 06:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have a nice thick lawn on a property to test it on in the next few days so will take some more vid and pics of that. Also the neighbours might get a free cut so I'll at least get some idea.
Its been raining as well so that will make things a bit harder. Notice the slide down the hill at the start of the vid. I knew that was going to happen, I couldnt get the machine up that track.

There are 3 tanks, the big flatter one is about 40k litters, the big tall one is around 32k litres. Dont know the small one but I'd say around 12000lt. No town water or sewer.

I should of mentioned the centre blade is a high lift. Ive taken that off and put a standard blade on as they are what I'd want to use in the end. That is unless Hustler get HL heavy fusion blades.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mick,

it looks like it's working, and I say that because at about 1:06 you can see a heavy stream of clippings coming out at the front of the chute, but if you watch carefully, you can also see them bouncing (for lack of a better word) off that baffle at the rear and shooting out the chute.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
New vid if anyones interested.
Not a hell of a lot to see but Id modified and fitted a turbo baffle and thought may as well get some vid, so I can see whats going on as well as show you lot.
Grass was way to short for a real test but I have no doubt I would of got at least a couple small clumps, I couldnt see any! But like i said, grass was far to short.
Anyway...http://youtu.be/VssAmoqFy7A
The clippings disbursal looks exactly as it does coming from my 72" deck. I realize the clippings are longer, but as far as disbursal I don't think anyone that sees this could ask for better.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

When you see a "rooster tail" coming out of the chute, thats when its coming off the baffle, rear of chute. There were a few spots where it did that for sure and like I said, I didnt see a clump.
But really, I need to mow some longer thicker grass. Any mower should of been able to cut that stuff in the vid, there was nothing difficult about it. But I would of got at least a few clumps, something without the baffle Im sure of that!

All this vid shows is that we're headed in the right direction with the baffle.

Thing is Puppy, if the clippings come off the front of the deck, heres no problem. Its only when they start coming out the entire chute width. Maybe your not loading up the deck enough for that to happen.
If I was getting these results all the time I wouldnt of had any problem. Your right, couldnt ask for better than in the vid IMO.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
When you see a "rooster tail" coming out of the chute, thats when its coming off the baffle, rear of chute. There were a few spots where it did that for sure and like I said, I didnt see a clump.
But really, I need to mow some longer thicker grass. Any mower should of been able to cut that stuff in the vid, there was nothing difficult about it. But I would of got at least a few clumps, something without the baffle Im sure of that!

All this vid shows is that we're headed in the right direction with the baffle.

Thing is Puppy, if the clippings come off the front of the deck, heres no problem. Its only when they start coming out the entire chute width. Maybe your not loading up the deck enough for that to happen.
If I was getting these results all the time I wouldnt of had any problem. Your right, couldnt ask for better than in the vid IMO.
I just came in from loading the crap of the deck in really thick tall fescue, I was loading it so much, I had to slow down so the 35 could keep up. The blades are beginning to need sharpening, they have 50.2 hrs of cut time, this in itself pulls additional power from the engine, and one of the reasons it was not handling the grass like normal.

I started to take a picture, and I will try to remember to do this one day, the pattern was coming out the full discharge opening evenly spread, and by the time it was 3' away from the deck it had fanned out to a 3' spread width, and looking out at what I guessed to be 8', it appeared to be in a fan width of at least 6', possibly more.

I'm not familiar with what the discharge would look like on a 60" VX4, how did it appear to you before starting the modifications?
Old 06-01-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I just came in from loading the crap of the deck in really thick tall fescue, I was loading it so much, I had to slow down so the 35 could keep up. The blades are beginning to need sharpening, they have 50.2 hrs of cut time, this in itself pulls additional power from the engine, and one of the reasons it was not handling the grass like normal.

I started to take a picture, and I will try to remember to do this one day, the pattern was coming out the full discharge opening evenly spread, and by the time it was 3' away from the deck it had fanned out to a 3' spread width, and looking out at what I guessed to be 8', it appeared to be in a fan width of at least 6', possibly more.

I'm not familiar with what the discharge would look like on a 60" VX4, how did it appear to you before starting the modifications?
Puppy If you ever had the chance to demo a 60" VX4, It would be great to see how you go with it.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hey guys, Its been ages since Ive made a vid or gave an update on where Im at. Its been drought here and nothing interesting to show.
I know there are a few people that follow this thread so figured they might be interested and maybe even help those who are having the same problem I was having.
We received around 250mm of rain late last week and a few showers since which have kicked things on a bit. The property in the vid usually gets done weekly but was being pushed back to 2 and 3 weekly to give an idea how dry its been.

Anyway, this is pretty much normal weekly growth on this property and I was getting terrible clumping cutting less off than this, and it would need double and triple cutting. The end result in the vid is from one cut. Yes, there are a lot of clippings on top but thats just the way it is but the main point is the lack of clumps, the lines of them I used to get.

Sorry about the "Um's" and "Ah's", I hadnt really planned on doing the vid so not much pre thought went into it. Ha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjU7Z...&feature=share