Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hi Puppy. long time no see! Hope you and family are well!
Since my lawns have been somewhat "trained" to the new machine now the forks havent been a problem. I do have to slow down quietly before turns but small price to pay for the better ride. The rough lawns where they come into there own I couldnt give a toss if it scalps or not. They are not lawns but rough azz pasture types of places.
Im loving the forks actually!

Back to the deck...
Ive done a bit of photo editing (see below) and it (kind of) clearly shows the distance between the discharge blade and the front skirt on the Scag deck is greater than the VX4 deck.
Red line is the Scag, black is the VX4.

So, I stand myself corrected on that!
Ive used the centre spindle as reference and got the 2 decks as close to lined up as possible. I havent stretched the decks to fit, just cropped and adjusted size.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2012, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Impressive work Mick! Wow they look so similar. It's crazy that they seem to be cutting so much different. I also notice the Scag runs a notched high lift instead of a rolled. IIRC the X One runs the rolled but the VX4 runs notched like a Scag.

Due to the threads on here, a situation where my Hustler dealer won't get back to me after three attempts to demo one, and how impressed I was with the Gravely 460 demo and it's pricing I think I may be driving red by the end of the week. You don't even want to look at, let alone compare the X factor deck to these. Looking at it, it should cut terrible but it did quite well. May demo the outlaw yet but that one is going to take a lot of convincing.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Impressive work Mick! Wow they look so similar. It's crazy that they seem to be cutting so much different. I also notice the Scag runs a notched high lift instead of a rolled. IIRC the X One runs the rolled but the VX4 runs notched like a Scag.

Due to the threads on here, a situation where my Hustler dealer won't get back to me after three attempts to demo one, and how impressed I was with the Gravely 460 demo and it's pricing I think I may be driving red by the end of the week. You don't even want to look at, let alone compare the X factor deck to these. Looking at it, it should cut terrible but it did quite well. May demo the outlaw yet but that one is going to take a lot of convincing.
They are very similar for sure, just a little more gap between blade and front skirt and, that little trianglar piece in the discharge chute. I'd bet thats the issue, I'd love to cut it out!
Old 04-29-2012, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
They are very similar for sure, just a little more gap between blade and front skirt and, that little trianglar piece in the discharge chute. I'd bet thats the issue, I'd love to cut it out!
Great job Mick. I don't think I'd even begin to know how to do that to the pics, but it shows exactly what I was saying in my last post where I posted the links. Like I said in that post, I just don't understand the way everyone likes one deck, but has issues with the other. I agree that most likely the cause of the wind-rowing is the little angle at the rear of the chute opening on the VX4. If I owned one and had that problem, I'd have no problem in cutting it out. It sure won't hurt anything structurally that I can see. I know it may be some sort of brace, but IMO, it was put there more as a sales point than an actual structural point.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Great job Mick. I don't think I'd even begin to know how to do that to the pics, but it shows exactly what I was saying in my last post where I posted the links. Like I said in that post, I just don't understand the way everyone likes one deck, but has issues with the other. I agree that most likely the cause of the wind-rowing is the little angle at the rear of the chute opening on the VX4. If I owned one and had that problem, I'd have no problem in cutting it out. It sure won't hurt anything structurally that I can see. I know it may be some sort of brace, but IMO, it was put there more as a sales point than an actual structural point.
Before you start cutting, just make sure that surface isn't intended to mount the blower for the bagger or something. It would be bad new to find out afterward.

Are both decks the same depth?
Old 04-29-2012, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Before you start cutting, just make sure that surface isn't intended to mount the blower for the bagger or something. It would be bad new to find out afterward.

Are both decks the same depth?
I think he's saying that if he were in my position, he'd cut the piece out.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Yea, the point I was making is that it may be there to serve a purpose and I'd make sure it wasn't needed for anything, like flat surface to mount the blower unit on, before you cut it off. If it doesn't effect blower mounting or stability, or your never going to run a bagger, and aren't worried it may effect resale to someone that might want to run a bagger later, then hack away. I would certainly consider cutting it off if this is the only thing standing in the way of good clipping dispersal.

Another thought is, before you start modifying the deck, I'd call Hustler directly, not a dealer, and talk to tech. Explain the problem, ask their thoughts on it, explain your possible fix, and see what they say. Maybe they already tried this or are willing to try it for you on one of their decks and get back to you. They've been pretty helpful to me when I've called in the past.

Last edited by mtmower; 04-29-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I wont be hacking away without approval from Hustler/importers.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Yea, that's exactly what I was talking about Mick

I wouldn't just start cutting without making sure I wouldn't need it for anything, but if I didn't bag and had no plans to, cutting that piece out carefully to make it look good when done would be no problem for me. Also, I would ask Hustler if they had ever removed it themselves, and find out what type of grass they cut afterwards, and what the results were.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't read the entire thread, but Mick would you buy it again after having it. I have an 05 hustler Z 60" with a 28kholer and its a tank. I purchased another brand and am not impressed with its tolerance for rough bad terrain. It has been falling apart since I got it down here! My old hustler had been cutting exact same terrain for over a year and nothing crazy happened to deck. Cut is very important though so what would you say? I might be making another ztr purchase and really think it would be a super z. I cant demo, and have to import myself. Thank you.