Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-13-2012, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does your website have a Privacy Policy??

QUESTION:
Does your website have a privacy policy?
If you don't, you should!

Although there is no federal law requiring it, businesses based in or service California are required to have a privacy policy on your website if you are collecting information.

Many people notice but don't think of privacy policies found at the bottom of most ecommerce sites. It will probably not be the most visited page on your site but has an important job, tell people what you do (or don't do) with collected information.

Should landscapers have a privacy policy?
ABSOLUTLY!

From e-newsletter sign-ups, online estimate requests, or even estimate requests done over the phone, you are collecting information that the customers may want to know how you use their information.

Below is a link to an article that will help you build a privacy policy for your site:
http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/h...te/#more-13872

Leave your thoughts below!

Old 02-14-2012, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good article, I have bookmarked that one for sure. (I had to search to find that site's privacy policy). The part that says to run it past a lawyer, while seeming pricey, when it comes into play can be well worth it.

I prefer to have in the footer along with a copyright statement a Terms of Service (I'm usually writing web apps) and Privacy link so it is no question where it is.

The funny thing is that a lot of privacy policies never mention the "default" information that just about all web servers collect, yet some people would would be surprised what you can learn from it (I'm talking about raw log files, which by default on Apache servers logs. Here is a sample log line, followed by what it contains:
Code:
192.168.61.1 - - [13/Feb/2012:23:38:42 -0500] "GET /upcoming-events/ HTTP/1.1" 200 12978 "http://www.domain.com/links" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:10.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.1"
In addition to the "Default" server behavior, most sites (that you would care about privacy) have google analytics or some other type of tracking to monitor site use. Using Javascript it will also provide other information that gets tracked.

Want to see what type of info can be collected, visit here: http://supportdetails.com/ This is a good site that I send clients to when they are having a specific issue with a site that I can't duplicate, so I can make sure what their settings are to try to duplicate it. (On the link above look at bottom right column for their Privacy Statement, they pinky swear their statement LOL)

On top of these, the site can collect other information as well via the programming, and generally THAT is what privacy statements focus on.

It used to be that until you click on something, the site didn't know what is going on, however now there are sites that will use javascript to collect form info BEFORE you even submit it, and things like tracking where your mouse is on the site. Some forums, when you pause in typing a long message, you will see it say "Draft Saved" Using javascript it just submitted your information to the server so if you go away and com back you can continue.

Don't worry about it too much, most sites that are doing that are not trying to be sneaky to get info, they are usually just using it to determine how to modify their site to encourage people to interact more.

-Greg

Tags
policy , privacy