Register free!

Old 02-02-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Certainty Poa control

Hello to all and thanks in advance.

I am certified and licensed in TN.

I am wanting to kill Poa in bermuda in TN. I have Certainty and based on the label it will take Poa out but I would like to know if anyone has tried it or if you can provide feedback based on your results. I am testing it now so I should have some feedback based on my test in coming weeks. I know Revolver will do the trick but as everyone knows the cost is much higher.

As stated below it says can mix with roundup but I am just not sure about using roundup on bermuda. I have spot sprayed things like dallisgrass out of bermuda with roundup but never over the top of bermuda to knock out weeds growing within the area. Any thoughts/confidence booster if this would be safe.

The label reads:

Annual Bluegrass control in non-overseeded turf.

For selective control of annual bluegrass apply this product 1.25 to 2.0 oz per acre. Use the higher rate...in areas of dense weed infestation.

In Dormant bermudagrass ONLY, tank mixtures of this with Roundup Pro or Ouikpro may be used to increase spectrum of vegetation controlled.

This is a summary of the important parts.

Last edited by BikePilot; 02-02-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Add qualifications
Old 02-02-2012, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Bike,

As long as the Bermuda is fully dormant you will be fine. If there is a good amount of Poa plan on using a pre-emergent next fall.

John
Old 02-02-2012, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can put Glyphosate (Roundup) on dormant Bermuda. We Use Pendiamethalin or Simizine for pre-emergent for Poa-ana.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Bike,

I don't know what part of TN you are from, but I'm from NE Arkansas and there is no way I would put down anything that says dormant only right now. I looked in my own yard today and the the bottom 1/8 inch of my bermuda is green. So I checked several customers this afternoon and some have lots of green. I have one customer that has Hybrid Bermuda and keeps it at 1 to 1 1/2 inches all year and his grass is already green 2 inches high in some places.

All I'm saying is you had better make sure that there is no green underneath.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

My personal lawn is green underneath in some areas. I am new to the west TN area, moved here last summer. I had a small business south of Atlanta before moving and switched everything over to start a business in this area so I don't have many clients yet. I have spot sprayed with roundup in bermuda when dormant before but because of warm temps I have a hard time trusting using roundup to blanket areas with poa.

I thank you all for your comments and I plan the use of Pre-m in my programs for poa control but since this is a new venture after my move I didn't treat these yards prior to first app 2012. I just wanted to provide some immediate poa relief without investing in Roevolver is able.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

If anyone can comment on use of Certainty as post control for Poa I would really appreciate your experiences. Thanks
Old 02-03-2012, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You need to read the whole label.

We use Certainty for poa control. We make sure our solution has a ph of 7. We add MSO and quicksilver to the mix. Works great!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2012, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Celsius worked for me, even though its not on the label.Way cheaper than certainty plus covers more weeds. Save certainty for sedges.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2012, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Member

WestGA, thanks for the advice. I have read the entire label. I use a nonionic surfactant as called for but don't see anything about adding Quicksilver or Octane. Not that it can't be done I just don't see it on there anywhere. But the mixture sounds like a great combo.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use celsius and certainty together, the results are awesome.