Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2012, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
If you use a hand saw and work on the backside of the tree you will not get hit. If you rope the tree and drop the frowns you won't break any windows or damage plants too. If you drove a truck with a real bed you could haul 10 trees worth of palms in the back LOL. It saves a lot of room if you cut the branches off the frowns themselves. I don't leave debris at the curb at customers houses. It's against city and county ordinances.
We have it good down here. Most areas you can leave vegetation. Some neighborhoods pick up vegetation 2x/week.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2012, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01thump View Post
Wow strong posts from everyone ...i guess it comes down to what do YOU want to charge them for the palm work there really is no scale to justify the correct charge for this job or any job for that matter...charge what you think they will pay and you can cover your expenses and make a few bucks then sit back and listen to people tell you how ludicrous 75 a palm is or how cheap 75 a palm is or what tool to use to do the job and how you over paid for the tool you are doing the job with....lol
Kind of my point - it is all over the board what you will get charged. And this is from professionals on this forum that actually take the time to read and contribute here. Imagine what Hose A and Hose B would charge.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
If you use a hand saw and work on the backside of the tree you will not get hit. If you rope the tree and drop the frowns you won't break any windows or damage plants too. If you drove a truck with a real bed you could haul 10 trees worth of palms in the back LOL. It saves a lot of room if you cut the branches off the frowns themselves. I don't leave debris at the curb at customers houses. It's against city and county ordinances.
I can assure you that you are not fitting what came off those two trees in any pickup bed. You are working in Orange County not city of Orlando now right? The city does not like stuff left but Orange does not have any issues if bundled properly which in this case is why they got hauled off, too much labor to tie them all up.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
From the pics I didn't see any brown fronds. What do you consider dirty? You said the person didn't request cleaning up the trunk so all you needed to do is remove fronds....using a pole saw on these is hard. Get in the tree with a handsaw.
Posted via Mobile Device
Let me see if I can find a dirty photo of them for you. Then I think you will see what I am talking about dirty.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This dirty enough for you guys? This is obvious neglect and nasty things are waiting for up inside there. In fact the front one appeared to have what appeared to be a vacant rats next. Yuck - but coons, snakes, spiders etc etc all kind of good things await you in something like this.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
This dirty enough for you guys? This is obvious neglect and nasty things are waiting for up inside there. In fact the front one appeared to have what appeared to be a vacant rats next. Yuck - but coons, snakes, spiders etc etc all kind of good things await you in something like this.

Haha, well that is a different story. Mike, you should have showed this pic. I would charge $75 each for those. Dump fees if needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Haha, well that is a different story. Mike, you should have showed this pic. I would charge $75 each for those. Dump fees if needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is more of the fee I feel is appropriate. This person let this go this long and expects a good price for it? Not likely - they know they have neglected it and let it go. The issue I have is that I know there are people out there that would most likely do them for $20 bucks each and would of if I had went as high as I wanted. Total charge was $140 and a disposal fee of $50 buck. I really felt I should get more but knew that was a reasonable request and any more and I would get kicked to the curb. These type jobs should be the bread and butter on top of our bread and butter IMHO but instead as a industry we keep driving the prices down, down , down. Not saying that anyone here does...but in general it keeps getting lower and lower. If I am climbing (did not have too on these) you are damn right you are going to pay a small fortune.
My point I guess is this. If this person had employed a lawn service all along - that would of created how much income for someone every month? That is money in a lawn turds pocket that this property owner decided not to spend. Over the couple of years it took for those palms to get that dirty - they saved how much?
They should have to pay - we as a industry should ensure that they do when we come across neglected stuff like this. If we don't we are just hurting ourselves and teaching them it is ok because it will save you money to not have the lawn turd do it on the regular, it is cheaper to have it done once a decade

Old 02-14-2012, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
That is more of the fee I feel is appropriate. This person let this go this long and expects a good price for it? Not likely - they know they have neglected it and let it go. The issue I have is that I know there are people out there that would most likely do them for $20 bucks each and would of if I had went as high as I wanted. Total charge was $140 and a disposal fee of $50 buck. I really felt I should get more but knew that was a reasonable request and any more and I would get kicked to the curb. These type jobs should be the bread and butter on top of our bread and butter IMHO but instead as a industry we keep driving the prices down, down , down. Not saying that anyone here does...but in general it keeps getting lower and lower. If I am climbing (did not have too on these) you are damn right you are going to pay a small fortune.
My point I guess is this. If this person had employed a lawn service all along - that would of created how much income for someone every month? That is money in a lawn turds pocket that this property owner decided not to spend. Over the couple of years it took for those palms to get that dirty - they saved how much?
They should have to pay - we as a industry should ensure that they do when we come across neglected stuff like this. If we don't we are just hurting ourselves and teaching them it is ok because it will save you money to not have the lawn turd do it on the regular, it is cheaper to have it done once a decade
Mike do you really want to even work for people like that? If they feel it's ok for those palms, their attitude is prob the same for the rest of the landscape. Palms are bread and butter, but I only do them for regular clients who want them done 2x/year. I don't really want to even bother with the one-timers. There's a reason they got that messy....cheap people.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

We would do those two for anywhere from 75-100 a piece. Trimming and cleanup would be done in under 30 minutes. My min for tree work is 200. Travel time has to be accounted for. Regularly cleaned palms are a different story. We have commercial customers that we charge 15-20 a piece, but a 3 man crew can do 100 plus per day. We do these 3 or more times per year.

Why did you leave stubs of all sizes down the trunk?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2012, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Mike do you really want to even work for people like that? If they feel it's ok for those palms, their attitude is prob the same for the rest of the landscape. Palms are bread and butter, but I only do them for regular clients who want them done 2x/year. I don't really want to even bother with the one-timers. There's a reason they got that messy....cheap people.
Posted via Mobile Device

These were done way early in winter.....during one of the first couple of "off" weeks. So I do not mind working for people like that on a one time basis if the price is right. That is not a account I would try to attempt to keep year round knowing the habits of the property owner.