Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2012, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Stihl HT 131 - like another poster said. It reached far enough and I am fortunate to be large enough and strong enough to hold it steady even at those heights without too much of a issue. No ladder even needed. That is the original pictured palms.

We never did get a call back on the two picture Green T posted. I figured we would be out of budget for that person. And that was bid was essentially a bid that was put in for a guy that does some work for me from time to time and what he said he would do it for. I am too damn big to be shimming my butt up a palm of any size. Big Boys make big noise when we fall. Not going to happen....but this guy is a skinny little guy and has no issue with it.
You mean the Palms in the 2nd. picture?

I didn't think the HT131 would extend to more 11', plus 6' for height = 17' max; those trees go to about 35'. What you do, just take off the dead stuff near the bottom?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jvan that other photo was from a previous much debated thread. Those were way too tall for a ladder or ground attack.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2012, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Palm tree spikes do harm the trees. They provide entry points for insects and diseases. However, they are the ONLY option for trees planted in inaccessible locations. Whether the tree is spiked or accessed with a lift does not change the price.
Not true. Hire a real tree guy and let him use ropes to climb.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2012, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTree View Post
Not true. Hire a real tree guy and let him use ropes to climb.
Posted via Mobile Device
Can you elaborate please? How exactly do you use ropes on trees with a smooth trunk and no branches to throw a line over?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2012, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Can you elaborate please? How exactly do you use ropes on trees with a smooth trunk and no branches to throw a line over?
Posted via Mobile Device
Patriot

Certain types of rope when tied right can used on you feet like climbing spurs. Manila Rope works best. I can't really explain marlinespike etc here, it is an art unto it's self.

In Edit

The rope is used as a slip Knot that grabs the tree or the smooth steel Flag pole etc. Going up is the easy part. Coming Down can be tricky.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Patriot

Certain types of rope when tied right can used on you feet like climbing spurs. Manila Rope works best. I can't really explain marlinespike etc here, it is an art unto it's self.

In Edit

The rope is used as a slip Knot that grabs the tree or the smooth steel Flag pole etc. Going up is the easy part. Coming Down can be tricky.

Patriot

Maybe a better explaination is you have two Slip Knots that go around the tree trunk, one in each hand. The left one is attached to a loop for your left foot and Right One Etc. You left hand moves the rope up the tree as your foot comes up at the same time. Then you put weight on the slip knot with your foot until it grabs the Tree and you climb up and do the same with your right hand. You should also have a safety belt from your waist to around the tree allowing you to lead back and work with both hands.

Getting up there can be the easy part. Doing the work can be an other story. No everyone can hang by their butt while starting and running a chain saw. Coming down is or can be very dangerous just like regular Tree Spikes which require more energy to come down the tree safety than going up.

Ya'll might want to consider my earlier post about less labor to remove the tree than to trim it correctly. It was a tongue in cheek post to see if anyone would pick up on removing the tree like it should be. Fact is these tree can be a real danger in a hurricane. I love trees but I sure don't need a 80 to 100 footer dropping on me or my house. These tree are excellent Habitat for all kinds of rats and bugs even more so than other palms because of all the Vegetation Debris hanging on it.

Sure the first few years these trees grow fast and add height quickly to you landscape design. But if your design is to stand the test of time don't use Washington Palms.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Can you elaborate please? How exactly do you uiose ropes on trees with a smooth trunk and no branches to throw a line over?
Posted via Mobile Device
You set a climbing line over the top and climb up on the rope, not the palm. I highly recomend you never try going up tje trunk of a very dirty washingtonian as the skirt can dislodge and fall and trap you against the tree. There had been many fatalities where people suffocate from the skirt while spiking up.

Look up srt climbing palm on youtube to get an idea on how to do it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2012, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like a workout and a half. You don't learn those skills overnight. Hats off to you guys that do that on a regular basis.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2012, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Jvan that other photo was from a previous much debated thread. Those were way too tall for a ladder or ground attack.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ah, I C. So the shorter ones then. Now I understand.

Not sure about using rope to climb palms, specially with a chain saw.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Its not for most people. Each job requieres a certain set of skills and equipment to be done properly.

Each company should focus on doing what is in their abilitied and not be a jack of all trades.
Posted via Mobile Device