Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2012, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How do I get this wheel motor hub off??

Here are some pics of the wheel hub... I cannot get it off and i dont want to break anything... Do i need a puller?? and if i do... this hub has a brake in it, do i grip the outter part that spins freely or do i grip the whole plat in the back? please help im stuck!! This is on a ferris is1500z and the output shaft is leaking I need to have the motor rebuilt!
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2012, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Most wheel motor shafts are tapered, Sometimes tapping all the way around (yellow arrows) with a BFH will pop it loose. If not a puller such as this should pop it loose;

Attached Images

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Curious Rob How hard would you hit on this. I know some people that would read this and when they would get through beating on this they would be nothing left.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Like driving a 8 penny nail in a 2x4, It's the vibrating shock that pops it loose, If someone is stupid enough to beat it to death, they shouldn't own a hammer period....

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

You would be surprised at some of the stuff that I seen people do. I try to learn all I can in case I have a problem like this. Thanks Rob...
Old 02-15-2012, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You will usually have to have a hub puller, ours looks different than the one pictured, but serves same purpose. Hydros were so scary to me till i actually saw one took off and put on in less than 18 minutes and saw them torn apart. They are pretty simple to rebuild just a dirty job with all the oil... i felt stupid after our class, i was sending all mine to a hydro specialty shop before...lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2012, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Restrorob i tried tapping it all the way around like you said it wouldnt pop loose.. my next question is if i put a hub puller on it do i just pull on the outer casing or do i pull on the back plate thats attatched to the motor. dont want to pull on the wrong thing??
Old 02-15-2012, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I posted the pic of a type puller needed, There are different styles as mentioned but you need one that mounts to the wheel studs. Pull from the wheel studs not the outer edge or backing plate.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used a three-jaw hydraulic gear puller to get them off too. Although, as rob points out, this pulls from the back of the hub - which can get dicey and be very tricky. HINT: As you tighten the puller, use the hammer to tap on the hub at the same time. This helps break it free sometimes.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Grasshopper if you have not gotten this off yet, do not pull on the brake with the puller. The brake is mounted seperatly to the wheel motor and you will damage it by pulling on it. A puller like Restrorob has posted in his last post is the best. It is a tappered fit that should just pull off. Once you get it off and get ready to put it back together do your self a favor and clean the wheel motor shaft and the inside of the hub with brake or carb cleaner. With this being a tappered fit an oil will allow the hub to go onto the shaft to far and if you ever have to remove it again you will run into his same issue.

Last edited by Dakota Dog; 02-17-2012 at 03:39 PM.