Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-16-2012, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC.lawn.services View Post
man, love this thread already! Love the basketball pic!

I'm looking to pick up a trailer for summer maintenance crew. Yours looks like the epitome of efficacy!

Would you mind sharing the length/width build etc.

I think I would like to go for a single axle because 1) you have less tire on the ground. = less drag. 2) Fewer tires to replace 3) generally they are lighter 4) you can rotate them by hand.

A lot of people say to get the biggest trailer you can use. While there is some merit to that. To me it seems you should get the one that best serves your means and uses the lest amount of space for the reason stated above. Plus if I ever needed to have the trailer pulled by a 1/2 ton, a smaller single axle would suit the trucks capabilities much better.

How much did replacing the axle with a 5,000 axle run you? I think that's the route I would go If I was hauling two ZTRS etc.

Worse comes to worse and you have to buy a bigger trailer. You can sell yours (they don't deflate much) and buy a bigger one or just have two trailers.

First let me say that you are looking at a HUUUUUUGGGEEEEE 5 x 12 trailer there. Yes that is all fit on a trailer of that size.

For many of the reasons you listed it is the way this trailer and the future one to be placed on the road will be. Plus figure in that I live in Florida which has many toll roads. One toll road close to me has a min. fee of $2 to cross at one point. That fee is for two axles cars and trucks. Each axle is .75 cents so the cost of tolls can add up to those lawnturds that feel bigger is better in terms of trailers. Imagine the cost they would incur in a years time of traveling tolls alone, not to mention the fuel consumption that you mentioned with a larger heavier trailer.

In terms of the cost. The 3500lb axle had to be replaced at that time and I can not remember exactly the difference of changing over to a 5k axle compared to another 3500 but it was a very small amount. I am sure it was under $100 difference if I recall but can not say for sure as it is not clear at this time to me.

Bigger trailer is the way to go to a point...but the key is to make sure you are using every inch of the trailer you purchase in the most effective way. If you can accomplish what you need to on a 5 x 10 then why go bigger. Utilize your space and set it up to be effecient.

If you notice the gas can rack is on the side of trimmers and primary blower. This means it is located to allow us to refill these items with the min . effort possible. The trimmer line spool rack is here too for the same reason. The first backpack blower is located on that side too as it is most likely that the person doing the edging and trimming will be done and putting that equipment up prior to me completing mowing a majority of the time. So once he puts up the sticks he is on the side to grab that blower. The other blower is located on the other side so that I can put the mower up and grab it to assist blowing off accounts. The main spray rack is located on the same size of the trimmers as it contains Round up and is the most used back pack sprayer. The one located on the passenger side is used on less accounts as it is used for liquid fert and pest control on the shrubs and beds.

Located in the front tool box are chemicals. Edger blades. Irrigation heads. Chainsaw. Located at the front this allows me to reach the chemicals for appropriate for either back pack sprayer form either side.

Thanks for noticing the layout ....not as many have mentioned the layout of the trailer as I would of thought as this is a critical component IMHO in making your day go smoother.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thumbs up

Here is a couple pictures I found from this summer. They show what the appearance of St. Augustine looks like that is being attacked by sod webworms as well as a photo of one of the little booger themselves in case you wondered what they looked like.
Attached Images

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here is a pictures of a property that I picked up in January. The risk of frost was high as we had not had at this time so resodding was not appropriate and we are planning a sod install now to replace the front and side lawns, however the new owner did want a lawn right away so I talked him into overseeding. The results follow.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2012, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That overseeding looks 100x better.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
That overseeding looks 100x better.
Thanks and yes the home owner is very pleased.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

verticutting

Here is a verticutting job that we did yesterday on a St. Augustine Lawn. I really did not feel that the lawn had a over abundance of thatch but the home owner was insistant that he have it done, so this year we helped him out this year. This was our first time performing this as it is not too common here but thanks to FL-Landscapes here on lawnsite who does this often walked us through this procedure and guided us to the appropriate reference material from IFAS on how to perform this procedure on St. Augustine. Thanks again Bryan and Ric who also gave his guidance.

First some photos of the property before and then the afters. The entire process took a little over 3 hours which also included me going to get more trash bags to fill and taking time out to visit with Rob from here on lawnsite to see this process.

22 overly filled 39 gallon trash bags was what was removed plus a little blown into the conservation lot here and there.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

And last all Clean

Old 02-25-2012, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Old 02-25-2012, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Haha, not much thatch, huh....mike, that palm in the photo is a CIDP or phoenix canariensis. How much was that verticutter? You own it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2012, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Haha, not much thatch, huh....mike, that palm in the photo is a CIDP or phoenix canariensis. How much was that verticutter? You own it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the Info diamond....they all look the same to me for the most part! No I do not own the verticutter I just rented it. It cost me $55 for the day.