Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2012, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Member

ferris/dixie chopper

has any one had any experience with these two propane mowers.
how do they do on power if compared to a ferris 3100z 37hp gas with a 72" deck?
how long do the tanks of fuel last?
any problems with them?
thank you
Old 02-15-2012, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

O.K. Doyles here we go. I purchased a Ferris IS3100zp 61" 32hp., back in July. I bought it because of where I am located. Gas here is $6.00 U.S/gallon propane is; $2.00 U.S/gallon. That is why I wanted to go propane over gas. The tanks hold 7+ gallons of propane each. I can work for about 10hours on that. I have had problems. I dont believe it is fair to compare my gas unit to this one being that its a different brand, and less h.p. I have had to change out two mixers on my unit, that were faulty and am supposed to get a new one from enviroguard who makes them and the propane parts of the mower. I still have not recieved the new mixer. I live out of the country and have no dealers here. My dealer in the states is awesome, and so is ferris, for taking care of every problem i have had with the unit and replacing everything that needed replacing. The problem is I have to do everything myself! down here a problem that you wont have. O.K now let me tell you what went wrong.
1. Within 25 hours spindle ceased up, and wouldnt work. They replaced all 3 free of charge and have had no problem since, with over 225 hours so far.
2.mixer problem caused loss of power. They replaced it free of charge, but that mixer is faulty and am now awaiting new mixer that I have not recieved yet. Enviro guard to blame!
3. My Left rear shock failed. They again replaced it free of charge. That just happened 2 months ago, and all others seem fine. Just bad luck.

I think Ferris is a very good company with excellent customer support. The lawn mowers suspension is awesome allows you to cut rough areas in half the time you could do it with other comprable mowers. The propane does burn way cleaner than gas which is seen when I do my oil changes. My hustlers oil is black and evidently thicker. The Ferris oil looks as if it has half the hours though both machines have the same hours. When we bought it in the states my wife filled one of the tanks and it came out to $45.00 U.S. Here I fill both for under $30.00. I hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

cimkill
thank you for the info. i wanted some one with real world results.
i run ferris mowers now and last year i had bought a 3100 z with
a 37hp dfi engine and 72" icd deck. i two had alot of problems
but like you said ferris stood behind there product and fixed it
ever time.
the parts they changed are
all 3 spindles the bearings were wobaling
the dfi engine was nothing but problems so they put a brand new 37hp carburated engine on it and payed me the difference in price.
last year i had asked about the 3100 propane mower but nobody could tell me any thing about it.
i figure the gas 37 burns between 2 to 2.5 gallons an hour. so i was trying to figure out if or how much i would save switching to propane.
by the way propane compared to gas how quick does the engine governor react to the cutting condition
thanks again
Old 02-16-2012, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The governer seems to react fine! Just so you know I do not cut in regular conditions down here grass grows twice as fast as it does in florida during the summer, and I have tons of hills that are really steep that I cut on. Going up some of them the mowers front wheels come off the ground scary stuff. So you might get better fuel economy than me. I say might due to the fact that we run a 80% butane 20% propane so its alot higher octane it burns at 300 B.T.U. hotter than what your going to use. Sorry to hear that you had trouble with yours too. Like you said Ferris does take care of us so that makes up for it.