Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Website Advice

Looking for some feedback for my new site. It's pretty basic right now. What should I change?

http://www.eaganmnlawncare.com/

Also looking for advice to get my Google Places listing on the first page if anybody has any knowledge there.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl...=0CDYQ4gkwADgK

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2012, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Site needs some improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SeasonsOutdoor View Post
Looking for some feedback for my new site. It's pretty basic right now. What should I change?

http://www.eaganmnlawncare.com/

Also looking for advice to get my Google Places listing on the first page if anybody has any knowledge there.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl...=0CDYQ4gkwADgK

Thanks!
Hey,
I took a look at your site and there is some goods and bads about your site.

I like that you have lots of videos of your work. A note about the videos, the homepage one was great. I saw the lawn mowing video and it was quite "bouncy". Plus, you might want to put an instrumental soundtrack rather than a well-known artist's song. It will save you possible legal issues down the road.

The site looks pretty plain as you stated. I assume you took this on with no formal website design training which is absolutly fine. The first thing I would do is either add a background image or change the background color. You have a lot of whitespace (empty space) on your website so you might want to add more pictures and content to fill it up a little.

As far as the google place page ranking. I took a look at your place page and it looks good. What I would do to help improve your ranking in the organic ad placing, is to add a coupon to your place page, add pictures, and monitor those reviews and follow up on them. A bad review will significatly hurt your place page ranking in the organic search results. The better the reviews, the higher you will place. I would have followed up with the few bad reviews you had instead of ignore them and maybe they will revise their reviews thus helping your placing.

Other than paying to have your place page on the first page, that is what I would reccomend. I don't want you to think I am bashing you, just giving constructive feedback. With more time and knowledgable members on this site, your site will turn out great and make you more money in the long-run.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkmbrown2001 View Post
Hey,
I took a look at your site and there is some goods and bads about your site.

I like that you have lots of videos of your work. A note about the videos, the homepage one was great. I saw the lawn mowing video and it was quite "bouncy". Plus, you might want to put an instrumental soundtrack rather than a well-known artist's song. It will save you possible legal issues down the road.

The site looks pretty plain as you stated. I assume you took this on with no formal website design training which is absolutly fine. The first thing I would do is either add a background image or change the background color. You have a lot of whitespace (empty space) on your website so you might want to add more pictures and content to fill it up a little.

As far as the google place page ranking. I took a look at your place page and it looks good. What I would do to help improve your ranking in the organic ad placing, is to add a coupon to your place page, add pictures, and monitor those reviews and follow up on them. A bad review will significatly hurt your place page ranking in the organic search results. The better the reviews, the higher you will place. I would have followed up with the few bad reviews you had instead of ignore them and maybe they will revise their reviews thus helping your placing.

Other than paying to have your place page on the first page, that is what I would reccomend. I don't want you to think I am bashing you, just giving constructive feedback. With more time and knowledgable members on this site, your site will turn out great and make you more money in the long-run.
Thanks for the advice, I will see what I can do w/the website.

As far is the Google Places ad, I'm not sure how/why I put that one up because that's not my business. Actually, I just went to look again and I don't see our Google Places showing up at all (weird, because it was just there this morning). I will have to do a little research to see what's going on

Didn't think you were bashing at all! Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I review sites "cold" and spew thoughts as I first go through them, just as if a customer would, so...

At a glance, absolutely lose the auto-play function of your home page video. That is always flagged as a major negative when it comes to usability and user feedback. One reason is that people like to be in control of such interactivity But, the the biggest reason? A large percentage of your visitors will likely be looking while on their employer's dime. They don't want audio/video blasting from their cubicle. lol

To illustrate the point, I just hit another page and came back here to continue my feedback. While starting to type here, your page began blasting a song from your open page tab. I actually had a startled, visceral reaction. Video is good, but let the user choose when to play anything. You will absolutely lose potential customers due to this, but it's an easy fix.

Also, the home page dropdown menu is layered behind the video, making it partly invisible, so take a look through your site to see if it's a recurring issue. Without going through your code, I'd guess it's a CSS Z-Index issue.

Your header title needs some spacing work. There is no space between "-Eagan" or "&Weed Contol". In Chrome, your banner box (titleoverlay div) is spilling out over the bottom of the lawn graphic as well.

While it's great to have a "request estimate" form on every page, you really don't need to have the full form on each page, and then when I click on the "request estimate" page, I end up on a page dedicated to...the same form. It seems more like filler than anything useful if it's all the same.

Any deeper explanation or need help with your menu/video layering issue, holla and I'll point you in the right direction.

Tony
Old 02-16-2012, 02:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I just searched you in google under your city and you were #1 on results. Seems to me that something is working since your #1! Nice job!