Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-29-2012, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gabion Wall Pricing

Got a call from a engineer on a gabion wall project. I wanted to see if anyone has experience pricing these and offer advice.

I have to remove a 50ft long, 15ft tall cinderblock wall thats fell into the creek and haul it off, build a 51ft long, 6ft wide pad using compacted 57 gravel, install 51ft of gabion baskets, drive 51 peices of #7 rebar in the first row of baskets (17 baskets, 3 rebar each), tie all baskets together, install geotextile behind the baskets and backfill with 57 gravel.

I estimated 208 tons of gabion rock (4-6 inch), and 200 tons of 57 gravel for the base, and backfill.

After finished with that, cover the top of the baskets with topsoil, grade and grass.

What would you charge laborwise? I have a number in my head but want to see what everyone thinks. I will have 3-4 helpers.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Forgot to mention the rebar has to be 6ft long, 3 ft driven down into the ground. There are 61 gabion baskets total.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bump, anyone?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No one has experience installing gabion baskets? I think WV is the only state in the united states that uses these things lol..
Old 12-30-2012, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have no experiance with such a creature.
I can visualize what you are saying but what I can not see if what type of access you have and what type of equipment you will be able to utilize.

I once had an errosion control project were we drove cables into the side of the hill using a 65# jack hammer and we drove them 12 feet deep. Part of the hill was very steep, no access to equipment so we had to use shoves to create walking trails.

Most Gabions I have seen are in the NE area and they are often highway projects. I do not do highway projects.

Last edited by Duekster; 12-30-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I have no experiance with such a creature.
I can visualize what you are saying but what I can not see if what type of access you have and what type of equipment you will be able to utilize.

I once had an errosion control project were we drive cables into the side of the hill using a 65# jack hammer and we drove them 12 feet deep. Part of the hill was very steep, no access to equipment so we had to use shoves to create walking trails.
We'll be using a mini excavator, renting a 2500 gpm pump to divert the water in the creek away from the work area, and renting a compactor to compact the 57 gravel.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here are the anchors we used. They worked very well. It was an interesting project. The HO at the bottom of the hill had the concern as stuff was falling on him. The slope was too step to walk in most places. It was clearly coming down.

I discusssed with several engineers and they started talking about 10 to 20 foot walls and bids in the hundreds of thousands.

At the top of the hill was a poured in place 10' high retaining wall and another house. The water would shed off the roof, down the back yard and jump that retaining wall. Jump a 15' wide bio swale / bearm ( just clear the whole thing) then down that 70' high slope to the bottom. We fixed part of that bottom half one year. From there the hill turned. So we fixed the side adjacent to the HO's drive way.

The point of the hill broke away and came down. That left a 25' shear drop at the top cause all the dirt came off the face. We came back and fixed that. I wish I had done it a little different now but we litererally lifted up by hand.

I noted at the time that top retaining wall was coming down. Called the city and stuff but they did not listen. About 2 years later the top wall came down but most of my stuff held. Kind of hard for it to hold up with all that coming down on it. The HO said the city did recall my warnings LOL.

I would suggest these anchors over the rebar.

http://www.platipus-anchors.com/

I might look and see if I can find some photos for you.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That mini carries how much rock?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's a 304CCR with a 28" bucket

Materials cost $20,000. I am estimating labor around $20-22k. Thats what I'm trying to figure out. Its about a month long project.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Not to sound like a smart-ass, but this thread shows you have no idea what you, your employees, and your current equipment set are capable of. No one has an identical set up so no one but you can determine how to bid a job. Even if you found two people with the same amount of employees and same equipment, they do not necessarily have the same overhead, profit margins etc.. You are the only one that can accurately determine what a job will take.