Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-16-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

New Website up and running, would appreciate any feedback

Our new website is up and running, features changeable backgrounds and easy to adjust home slides running on Word Press. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.longviewlandscaping.com/
Old 02-17-2012, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like it.

Visually only two things bother me, the background image the way it ends at the bottom, especially on pages that are longer. The other is the services page, compared to the rest it looks pretty basic.

Functionality, about the only thing I had issues with was also on the services page, by default every item has both "more" and "less" links. If I first click on "Less", it expands and then the only link is "more", (they end up reversing roles). This may confuse people as the "more" link now closes it back up, and when it does, all you get is the "less" link. Basically just need to have them set it so the "less" link doesn't show by default.

Structurally (behind the scenes), the pages do not validate (http://validator.w3.org/) When you are paying a company to develop your site, there is no excuse for a page not to validate (well unless it is something that the customer can break via a content editor).

Mistakes on the site that should get fixed (the nit pickins):

About T&A Page:
Leobardo joined the tucker and assocates staff in 2006. [Should be Tucker and Associates]
member of the team that consitently produces [Should be consistently]
from the largest and ost respected golf green [Should be most]
each project scott carefully oversees every move [Should be Scott]
members of the tucker and associates staff scott efforts are driven [Should be Tucker and Associates staff, Scott's]
supervisor for a large east texas irrigation company [Should be Texas]

Landscaping Services Page:
before youíre commited to construction [Should be committed]

2012 Ė Words from the Whispering Crane Page:
a more positve outlook on the future [Should be positive]

Lastly a note on the photos for "About T&A" page. I am assuming you are intending on eventually having real photos there. Your site has a really professional look to it, so make sure you spend the time and effort to get everyone's photo taken at the same time by a photographer who knows how to get lighting right (hint unless done outside, won't be just using on camera flash) and poses right across everyone's pictures. Having "mix and matched" photos would take away from your good looking site.

-Greg

Last edited by greg8872; 02-17-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Member

greg8872

That is great feedback. Thank you greg. We'll have the web guys look at validation. Looks like we needed to check our copy a bit better. Thanks again.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No problem, glad to help. When you are going over the content, there may be more in the terms of punctuation and capitalization, I just caught the one there were near where things were misspelled. (I cheat and use InSite to check sites.)

-Greg
Old 02-17-2012, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks pretty nice to me! Nice work you guys do.
Complete lawn care services
Old 02-17-2012, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

In a quick glance, hard-coded mailto: email links are something i've avoided for several years now due to the way people now use email (web mail instead of desktop software). It can be aggravating for a visitor clicking what one now assumes is a link to a mail form page and, instead, have whatever mail client software (such as Outlook Express) that's on their computer, and likely not configured to work, open up.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback

Appreciate the feedback, I'll try to get them to include a link that can be copied and pasted for gmail and other online email apps.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:16 AM
Sponsor

Here are a few of my recommendations:

1. Have them use the Google Analytics code only once and only at the very bottom of the site.

2. Make Request a Quote in a different color than the rest of the site so that it stands out. That's your call to action.

3. There is very inconsistent uses of sans-serif + serif fonts across your site.

4. Add your full business address + phone number to the footer of every page on the site. As the site is in wordpress, should be very simple. This will assist you in Google Places

5. The CSS on your blog should be applied so it all matches and is fluid with the rest of the site

Cheers,
Rui
Old 02-18-2012, 02:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui View Post
Have them use the Google Analytics code only once and only at the very bottom of the site.
I missed that is was on the site twice, good catch. While it is true that it should only be there once per page, that particular code you have on the site is meant to be in the HEAD, not at the end of the page.

The old style code code was put at the end of documents, the new async code (which is what is on your site) is to be in the head of the document. This style code has been available for well over a year now.

For those who want to know more about how this works: http://code.google.com/apis/analytic...sageGuide.html

Oh and the above link also gives examples how the new code lets you track things that are clicked on on your site, not just pages viewed. (see the section "Tracking with HTML Event Handlers")

As an example on the site this thread is about, you could have it track which of the "Services" sections they click "More" on to see where the greatest interest lies, so you can either built it up more since it popular, and/or tweak the other ones to see if you can draw more interest into those.

-Greg

Last edited by greg8872; 02-18-2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all help

Appreciate those of you that took a look and those who offered suggestions.

Tags
longview landscaping , tucker and associates