Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2012, 03:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Twitter....? Worth it?

Okay….if one already has a Co. facebook page and clients and interested parties know they “NEED” to LIKE the Co. to get special offers…then why do you need twitter?

Is this not redundant?

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kinda like "I have an ad in the yellow pages, why do I need a website?" Different media for different folks.

There are tools out there that let you post information to one place and it will automatically post it to both twitter and facebook feeds. (also you can set your blog to automatically send a notice to both when you add a new blog post)

Mobile wise, twitter was the big thing for getting info and passing it on (have to give them content they want to share). Facebook is catching up, but in general there are two big camps for it. Myself I mainly use FB, I have Twitter (and now G+) but rarely use them. But there are also others who have both, however they are mainly watching Twitter.

Social Marketing is a whole new thing and taking off like mad.

Remember when "E-mail" was the "fast way to communicate"? Not anymore. Some days I'm a tad jealous of the Amish, more simple life.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have managed the social media for 50+ clients and my view is that Twitter is still very niche for businesses, no matter the type, and a tough thing to gain traction. I've had popular bar clients who took off like a jet with pushing out daily/weekly specials, happy hours, entertainment, etc but then fizzle out quickly due to the amount of static that it can create, or people just tiring of it. One current client, a very popular, independent bricks 'n mortar retail store in a large city that has a typical Twitter demographic of a very savvy, educated, high disposable income customer base and after a year, I'm about to abandon the Twitter side and just continue with Facebook. 1,700 facebook followers and 46 Twitter followers, with the bulk of them being vendor courtesy follows.

Facebook is infinitely more common for the "every person", with a user base of 5x that of Twitter (depending on the day and data you look at), with Facebook users logging in on a daily frequency 2x that of Twitter. The age demographics also skew older for FB, while Twitter is significantly younger, although the late 30-45 age group is growing quickly. If you look at an age/usage chart for Twitter, it would show a steady downward slope going from youngest to oldest, so the energy you put in should factor in your own client demographics.

What I've seen work best is using Twitter and Facebook for tips, specials, and schedules (applications, aeration, plowing, etc), but the problem is that if someone follows you, and follows a hundred other accounts, it can be very difficult to rise above the overall volume.

As Greg points out, there are tools that allow you to cross-post to both, and that's usually a great recommendation to test the waters. I do that for many clients, but am always wary of cross-posting everything because of fatigue by the user who follows both.

Tony
Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a twitter account and personally can't see much use of it.
I'm sticking more to the FB, and now the ever increasingly popular google+.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the input .... precisely the feedback I'm looking for.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Sponsor

Hi Exact Rototilling,

I just want to add some insight into your question.

Greg's initial comment about yellow pages and a website is somewhat true. You don't want to put all of your egg's in one basket. Obviously there will be some redundancies by using both. However, it is easily maintained now more than before.

My recommendation: Use all 3.

Visibility in a cluttered and highly competitive online world is very important. However, users have many different businesses competing for their attention online. Your objective should not be how many accounts to manage, but how to be creative while managing those accounts. That's what determines how successful your accounts are and the traction they will get.

As for TonyGreek's comment on demographics between both channels (Twitter vs Facebook), I will have to disagree. Twitter actually has an older demographic than that of Facebook. It is true that there are a lot of more Facebook users than Twitter, but that doesn't really matter. You're not offering your services overseas, are you?

Here is a simple infographic provided by a digital blog online that gives you a visual of the breakdown from 2010. I know it's a year old, but should still provide you with some visual insight on the differences of the two.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui View Post
Twitter actually has an older demographic than that of Facebook. It is true that there are a lot of more Facebook users than Twitter, but that doesn't really matter. You're not offering your services overseas, are you?
I've never seen data to support your assertion, in fact, I've only seen data that's counter to it. Even the graph you attached, which I saw back when it was published, doesn't support it in that the site that provided that portion of the data seems to no longer exist and we have no idea of their sample group (Twitter doesn't release, although I've seen their breakouts). Also, look at your chart's breakdown on various Twitter users. 48% of their Twitter users are "in college", but only 13% are in the 18-25 college demographic. Even if you add in a ton of late-life students, those numbers are way off.

But this is also an instance, on either side of the argument, where actual user numbers mean more than percentages. Since the numbers are all over the map, for argument's sake, let's say the U.S. market for Facebook has 160m* active users and Twitter has 50m*. If 20% of Facebook's user base is in your LCO target demographic, and 30% use Twitter, and you had to choose, which would you be better served to focus on (on mass alone. I use many more factors when it comes to shaping a social message.)?

All that said, I'm all for working both channels, and split-testing any advertising methods, to see what works best for you.

*If you drill into the data provided in Facebook's SEC filing, they are showing 161m active monthly users, which is obviously much lower than their numbers usually floated to the public, and I used Twitter numbers that are often guesstimated. If Twitter had to file, I'm guessing we'd since a moderately lower number as well.

Last edited by tonygreek; 02-17-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

After I reread what I posted, I should add I used Twitter's 100m total active users, not just US.

Also, I decided to dig a little deeper using the wayback machine and found the original post and chart and I still don't understand that infographic's data.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:19 AM
Sponsor

You make some valid points. However, as a business you should definitely take advantage of both social media sites. Why limit to one when two can be maintained very easily?

The fact of the matter is that you want to obtain as much brand visibility as possible. Therefore limiting to one site is not ideal.

As for delving into the statistics above. I'm sure that they're not represented completely accurate.

Like any form of marketing, there has to be an even distribution of efforts across all channels. Similar to not just advertising using one method or vertical.

Test, test and test some more. What may work for one, might not work for another.

Cheers!
Old 02-18-2012, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui View Post
You make some valid points. However, as a business you should definitely take advantage of both social media sites. Why limit to one when two can be maintained very easily?

As for delving into the statistics above. I'm sure that they're not represented completely accurate.

Test, test and test some more. What may work for one, might not work for another.
- I pointed this very thing out when I stated, "All that said, I'm all for working both channels, and split-testing any advertising methods, to see what works best for you.".

- After tracking down the data they were using for the demographic chart, it seems that they reversed the age data. I have an idea why, but I don't want to impugn that company for what could have been an honest mistake, however... lol

- In your experience consulting for LCOs, do you find either Facebook or Twitter works better than the other, or about the same? I'm always interested in hearing real-world thoughts on the application of the various social media tools, and especially the traction they do, or do not, achieve.

Thanks for any insight,
Tony