Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2012, 01:01 AM
Sponsor

Hi Tony,

Good ol' independent chart information!

As for successes. I've had two companies (same industry) in the exact same city achieve completely different results with social sites. It's actually really odd sometimes, but going with the gathered data obviously gives you the best results. Like you mentioned @tony - test, test and test. Then when you think you've tested everything you could, test some more.

To be honest though ... social sites are a great tool but it should only take about 30 minutes MAX out of your workday everyday, unless you're getting direct replies and have to manage them.

The most success that I believe you will find and where the effort should be placed for a service like landscaping is in SEO and Door hangers/cold knocking.

SEO - you're acquiring the client directly with the intent to purchase without having to cold sell.

Door Hangars/Cold-Knocking - because like in every service business, it just has to be done even if the conversion rates are sometimes low.

What should you do on social sites?
  • Take photos of your clients homes (with their permission, don't include house number) and post them up. (do your best to have before and after)
  • Take photos of your team / or yourself working hard (not possible if you're the only person lol. - this offers a personal and friendly touch
  • Videos are a great tool especially with people not liking to read anymore. If you have the budget and time to do it - time lapsed video is phenomenal
  • Avoid telling people why you're the best every 5 minutes and sending them endless messages. They'll just delete you.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rui

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
- I pointed this very thing out when I stated, "All that said, I'm all for working both channels, and split-testing any advertising methods, to see what works best for you.".

- After tracking down the data they were using for the demographic chart, it seems that they reversed the age data. I have an idea why, but I don't want to impugn that company for what could have been an honest mistake, however... lol

- In your experience consulting for LCOs, do you find either Facebook or Twitter works better than the other, or about the same? I'm always interested in hearing real-world thoughts on the application of the various social media tools, and especially the traction they do, or do not, achieve.

Thanks for any insight,
Tony
Old 02-18-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Isn't there a program you can use that when you post to one it updates everything else. Like say you were blogging, then it would update your twitter and FB and any other things you added to it?
Old 02-18-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The whole point of social media is social - interacting with people. If Twitter is nothing but a platform to which your automated platform pushes your FB or other posts and you're not interacting with folks, good luck getting any benefit from Twitter. People WILL tune you out, or just stop following you altogether.

I'm on Twitter but I don't see it as a valuable means of lead generation unless I want to devote way more time to it. Where it has been useful is professional networking with other designers and generally expanding my social media footprint.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
The whole point of social media is social - interacting with people. If Twitter is nothing but a platform to which your automated platform pushes your FB or other posts and you're not interacting with folks, good luck getting any benefit from Twitter. People WILL tune you out, or just stop following you altogether.

I'm on Twitter but I don't see it as a valuable means of lead generation unless I want to devote way more time to it. Where it has been useful is professional networking with other designers and generally expanding my social media footprint.
You make an EXCELLENT point. Twitter can be, without a doubt, extremely beneficial if you devote a good amount of time to it. I personally believe that's it's worth the time put into it.

We all understand the importance building links, right? If so, this video will open your eyes to the true and awesome power of Twitter:

http://www.seomoz.org/blog/yes-you-r...s-with-twitter