Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2012, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cell Phones..PDA's...Netbooks ect..

Ok, how many of you guys supply your employees with cell phones. I know it is a necessity for the hindsight type companies but how about the guys that still keep in touch by calling or texting.

Im thinking that everyone has a cell phone now and I should not have to pay for their phone. I was thinking about paying for them to get a good phone protector and being done with it.

After all...i'm getting tired of showing up on a job because I couldn't reach them just to see that their on their personal phone anyway and left mine in the truck
Old 02-17-2012, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pay for their phone and then deduct the time they spend on personal calls during work hours from their salary.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman7 View Post
Ok, how many of you guys supply your employees with cell phones. I know it is a necessity for the hindsight type companies but how about the guys that still keep in touch by calling or texting.

Im thinking that everyone has a cell phone now and I should not have to pay for their phone. I was thinking about paying for them to get a good phone protector and being done with it.

After all...i'm getting tired of showing up on a job because I couldn't reach them just to see that their on their personal phone anyway and left mine in the truck
Depending on what state you are in I don't think that you can require them to furnish their own phone. If it is something that is required for the job you have to provide it for them. It sounds like your situation is more of a problem that is related to lack of or poor enforcement of a company policy regarding personal and company cell phone use. My guys know that I expect them to answer the phone when myself or one of our supervisors calls them. They are all really good about calling back quickly if they miss a call. They also know that if their supervisor shows up and they are making a personal call and it's not during one of their breaks or lunch break that they are going to get written up for it. I have literally fired people for excessive perosnal cell phone use.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I frown on PDAs it's very unprofessional to be hugging and kissing on the job.
http://myidealwoman.files.wordpress....1246202951.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
Depending on what state you are in I don't think that you can require them to furnish their own phone. If it is something that is required for the job you have to provide it for them. It sounds like your situation is more of a problem that is related to lack of or poor enforcement of a company policy regarding personal and company cell phone use. My guys know that I expect them to answer the phone when myself or one of our supervisors calls them. They are all really good about calling back quickly if they miss a call. They also know that if their supervisor shows up and they are making a personal call and it's not during one of their breaks or lunch break that they are going to get written up for it. I have literally fired people for excessive perosnal cell phone use.
we used nextel and relied on ptt for company communication, allowed 250 mins, non-network talk for business and personal (gonna be late little darlin) the service shut calls off after that but still enabled ptt.

grunts and blabbermouths were issued radios, (still have mine)

right now i cut mine off at 500 mins non-network, still use my nextel as a radio and marine band for mountain and site work.

in the old days you carried a jug for spare change and used that for telephone calls.........go figure i'm not that old dan
Old 02-18-2012, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep.... I remember the days of the pager and the pocketful of quarters. I remember the big breakthrough when PageNet started offering "pagemail" which was essentially voicemail. We had Nextel for several years after we ditched the pagers till those bastards at Sprint bought them and destroyed the company.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here is dad illustrating his new talking contraption to me back in the day.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2012, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Here is dad illustrating his new talking contraption to me back in the day.
My hair has not been that short in fifty years.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
My hair has not been that short in fifty years.
he did say it was the OLD DAYS boss!
Old 02-21-2012, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone else notice a different format for the mobile devices on ls? There will be three mobile vices sold for every computer this year.
Posted via Mobile Device