Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2012, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My New Old Work Truck

I decided to get a older work truck, something that I can run and not worry about trashing it. I believe for my needs this truck will do.
It is a 85 Ford F-150 4X4 Flat-bed, it needs a little work but not much.

I plan on making a head-ache rack that the side boards will slip into on the ends. I still what to keep the shorter sides that are on it now for the winter. I built those ramps for the truck real heavy duty so that I can run any type of equipment up into the bed (like ATV). I look forward to getting slightly taller tires BFG KO all-terrains. I have used this truck for about four months and most of the bugs are worked out and I look forward to the mowing season.

I plan on getting a under mount tool box for the flat bed and on the other side (passenger) I am going also make a spare tire mount for the spot in front of the rear tire. I will keep the spare the smaller size.

Here are some photos. (I'll have to add pictures tomorrow as I have to up-load a program tomorrow).

The plow operates fine I just need to get a new scrapper blade for it. But I don't do any plowing as of yet, but since it came with the truck I figured it was nice to keep.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here are the photos of the truck

Here are some photos.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2012, 02:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some things I have done.

I have already put a new battery and a new starter+solenoid in it, I figured if I got to the point of using the plow I would need a good battery.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2012, 02:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Back-up lights

When I got the truck they did not put in the reverse lights, so I cut in these and am rewiring them in.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2012, 03:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like a cool truck. Those straight 6's are bullet proof engines.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The 300 is a great motor. Great low end which will be really nice for plowing. I have a 90 with a flatbed I pulled off my 79.

I'd love it even more if my 90 had the 300 with the 5 speed instead of the 302 with 5 speed... I like the 302, I like the 300 more.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 02-18-2012, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

300 I-six

Yes this is exactly the set-up I was looking for when I set out to get a new truck for the Biz. this truck is built for work. I was not looking for a flat-bed or a plow those were bonuses that came with it when I bought it.

We have had some pretty good snows this season and I definitely put the truck to the test. The 4-wheel drive worked great, which is why I needed to switch trucks my '02 was 2 wheel drive and did not have the kind of suspension for this kind of work. Since I started snow clearing for some of my clients I had to make sure I could get there.

I have been very pleased so far with this truck. It is not brand-new but hey it did not cost me $30 grand either. My customer base is tight with in a 1 mile area (this includes my home) with the exception of one client and his two properties are five miles away with in a block of each other.

I am so looking forward to this up-comming season if the truck does well. I will be selling the '02 and putting the money back into our house hold budget.
Then all the cost of running our Biz will have come from with-in the funds taken in by it. I figure everything will be easier that way. Since we will still have two other vehicles that we use for home use there is no reason to use my work truck for any thing else but work related things. The initial cost was tax deductible and all the mileage from here on out will be also. That will make things so much easier.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J & D Greens View Post
Yes this is exactly the set-up I was looking for when I set out to get a new truck for the Biz. this truck is built for work. I was not looking for a flat-bed or a plow those were bonuses that came with it when I bought it.

We have had some pretty good snows this season and I definitely put the truck to the test. The 4-wheel drive worked great, which is why I needed to switch trucks my '02 was 2 wheel drive and did not have the kind of suspension for this kind of work. Since I started snow clearing for some of my clients I had to make sure I could get there.

I have been very pleased so far with this truck. It is not brand-new but hey it did not cost me $30 grand either. My customer base is tight with in a 1 mile area (this includes my home) with the exception of one client and his two properties are five miles away with in a block of each other.

I am so looking forward to this up-comming season if the truck does well. I will be selling the '02 and putting the money back into our house hold budget.
Then all the cost of running our Biz will have come from with-in the funds taken in by it. I figure everything will be easier that way. Since we will still have two other vehicles that we use for home use there is no reason to use my work truck for any thing else but work related things. The initial cost was tax deductible and all the mileage from here on out will be also. That will make things so much easier.

That's the right attitude! You should really check out Dave Ramsey. I think you would completely agree with his attitude about vehicles and vehicle purchases.

Truck looks great for you purposes! Especially if you have two other vehicles at your disposal. Don't forget too that you can use one of your other vehicles for estimating and errands for your business and deduct the percentage of business use off your taxes. Just keep good records to back up the mileage deduction.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
That's the right attitude! You should really check out Dave Ramsey. I think you would completely agree with his attitude about vehicles and vehicle purchases.

Truck looks great for you purposes! Especially if you have two other vehicles at your disposal. Don't forget too that you can use one of your other vehicles for estimating and errands for your business and deduct the percentage of business use off your taxes. Just keep good records to back up the mileage deduction.

Thanks White Gardens. I could use them for that. But the Jeep XJ (my son's) and My wife has the Honda accord which are personal vehicles and I honestly want to keep everything separate. I want to keep all my clients arms reach (I am only accepting referrals now anyway) so using the truck for estimates won't be a problem. My wife wants us to hold on to the "02 in the back round of one of those photos as insurance to back-up the '85. But as soon as I can let go I want to. I want to keep our cost both in the Biz. and Home budget low.

Once we feel comfortable with where we are and we feel we can I do want to some day get a Toyota 4X4 truck as my back-up/personal vehicle of my own but that will have to wait. (it will give me great gas mileage plus, I love to go 4-wheeling up in those Rockies)
Thanks for the compliments and advice, David

P.S.:You always encourage us and are very helpful in sharing your knowledge,
Old 02-18-2012, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Best part is their isn't much that can go wrong that you can't fix yourself with a 50 dollar bill and a couple hours.