Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-14-2016, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Startting up part time building to full time

Hey everyone I'm new to this site and been telling myself since the day I graduated high school that I wanted to start a lawn care business, I want to be my own boss..I always put it off but this is the year that I really want to make take the next step and chase it. Now I work full time for GM parts supplier and their is talk that after our contract is up at the end of the year that our jobs will be going elsewhere. So that has me motivated to get started now. I work 1st shift and am out of work everyday at 2pm so what I thought was I could start small and start to build a clientele base, working after work everyday and some on weekends if I couldn't keep up during the week. Is this a feasible goal or no? I don't want to go cheap on a mower and have to replace it after a few years , what is a good starter mower to look at? My goal is 20 clients the first year and grow from their. I know their is so much more to learn and will continue to read through all the forums to gain the needed knowledge to succeed
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-14-2016, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Build a website, and start handing out business cards to people. Start with people you know, and have them tell people they know. Word of mouth is how I've received the majority of my business when starting out. Then buy a used walkbehind mower on craigslist, and a decent push mower. The equipment you start with doesn't have to be fancy. Don't expect it to all happen over night, it takes time to build a business.
Toro Blowers
www.yardbros.com
Old 01-14-2016, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes its feasible. You could do 4 a day after work & get all 20 done before the wknd. If it rains do em on the weekend.

Whats your budget for a mower?

Why 20 customer goal? Just curious how you decided on 20.

& welcome to lawnsite bud. Great place with tons of knowledge/info. Not hard to learn something new everyday around here!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-14-2016, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL's View Post
Yes its feasible. You could do 4 a day after work & get all 20 done before the wknd. If it rains do em on the weekend.

Whats your budget for a mower?

Why 20 customer goal? Just curious how you decided on 20.

& welcome to lawnsite bud. Great place with tons of knowledge/info. Not hard to learn something new everyday around here!
Posted via Mobile Device
My equipment budget for everything will be $5-6 k that's for trailer and everything else I'll need to get started

My goal of 20 was just so I knew I had enough time after work each day to complete my jobs in a given week..My fiancée manages a coffee shop in town and is extremely well liked by all her customers Makes me believe that could lead to a few jobs then I was gonna have door hangers made up and start walking and getting them out. When is the best time to start doing that March? I live in Michingan so we will have snow up until the end of March anyway and I figure if I do it to early people will forget about it and it will be a waste
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-14-2016, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen517 View Post
My equipment budget for everything will be $5-6 k that's for trailer and everything else I'll need to get started

My goal of 20 was just so I knew I had enough time after work each day to complete my jobs in a given week..My fiancée manages a coffee shop in town and is extremely well liked by all her customers Makes me believe that could lead to a few jobs then I was gonna have door hangers made up and start walking and getting them out. When is the best time to start doing that March? I live in Michingan so we will have snow up until the end of March anyway and I figure if I do it to early people will forget about it and it will be a waste
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you have any of the equipment you need already? Between a trailer and a mower that will probably eat up a lot of the 5-6k. You will probably hear from a lot of the guys around here that the door hangers don't usually work out the way you would like.
Toro Blowers
www.yardbros.com
Old 01-14-2016, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorum03 View Post
Do you have any of the equipment you need already? Between a trailer and a mower that will probably eat up a lot of the 5-6k. You will probably hear from a lot of the guys around here that the door hangers don't usually work out the way you would like.
I'm gonna be starting from scratch , I can increase my budget if need be that's not really an issue..I did read quit a few posts with mixed results on the door hangers, but figured it was a start, I'll try and be creative with my advertising , would you suggest as being the best way for a start up to advertise
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-14-2016, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I'm gonna be starting from scratch , I can increase my budget if need be that's not really an issue..I did read quit a few posts with mixed results on the door hangers, but figured it was a start, I'll try and be creative with my advertising , would you suggest as being the best way for a start up to advertise
Posted via Mobile Device
Through word of mouth with friends, family and neighbors. Do a good job and you will get good recommendations.

So starting from scratch you mean you need a mower, trailer, push mower, trimmer, blower?
Toro Blowers
www.yardbros.com
Old 01-14-2016, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Being creative is usually done by those that have no luck with door hangers/flyers. The trick is to not be creative. Especially people nowadays like plain and simple. Keep it simple and with your girl being liked around town take a nice.... not dressed up just natural.... picture of you 2 together and add it to the bottom of the hanger. They might say.... oh, she works at the coffee shop.... Make sure it is a face shot of you both and up close so they can see who she is.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorum03 View Post
Through word of mouth with friends, family and neighbors. Do a good job and you will get good recommendations.

So starting from scratch you mean you need a mower, trailer, push mower, trimmer, blower?
Yes I'll be buying all new equipment
Thanks everyone for the input it all helps!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-14-2016, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yes I'll be buying all new equipment
Thanks everyone for the input it all helps!
Posted via Mobile Device
This time of year can be good for buying used stuff on craigslist. Some guys will be trying to sell stuff now so they can buy their new stuff in the spring.
Toro Blowers
www.yardbros.com