Old 12-29-2012, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

*market
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-30-2012, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpropm View Post
I like this one. This doesn't sound like soliciting, this is saying hello and introducing yourself. It is time consuming but you can pick and choose where you want to marry precisely ...
Thanks Sean
Posted via Mobile Device
+2
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If knocking doors works for you then it is working and worth it. Keep it up. Don't let people tell you otherwise. We all live in different parts of the country and even world. Things work for some people that won't for others. I say keep it up. Knock till you bleed. All you're using is time and energy.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Member

door to door advice

I have read a lot of posts about going door to door. I am new to the lawn care business, but I can tell you this. Had a sales career for over 15 years before this venture. If I would have told myself everyday not to knock on doors I would have been bankrupt. I realize many of you have been in this business for a long time and I appreciate the knowledge you provide. I will tell you this much. If you are not getting to know the neighbors around your clients you are making a huge mistake.

Walked through a neighborhood yesterday. I will be doing a friends aeration next week. Just by introducing myself to a few neighbors, I picked up 4 jobs yesterday. You might be the greatest lawn care guy in the world, but if you aren't taking advantage of free marketing and selling yourself and your business, how do you expect to make more money and find new clients. So I raise my glass to Joel for going the extra mile and finding new clients by introducing himself. Good luck. Joel and I will continue to get our new clients just be meeting the neighbors around our existing customers.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherlawnguy View Post
The fact that your knocking on their door is an immediate turnoff!!
Posted via Mobile Device
people are rude and nasty when you go to their door.
I tried it one day and quit because of the strong temptation to push someone into their home and hurt them.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 09-13-2013, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape View Post
people are rude and nasty when you go to their door.
I tried it one day and quit because of the strong temptation to push someone into their home and hurt them.
Don't take this negatively, but you need to have thick skin and determination in order to knock on people's doors. I wouldn't take it personally either when people shut the doors in your face. It's life. People are rude and unfortunately not brought up well by their parents. When people knock on my door, I'll listen to what they say, and then tell them politely I'm not interested.

It's a simple concept... it's all about the numbers. For every X doors you knock on, it'll eventually result in a sale. Once you penetrate a certain area, your chance for additional work with that person and the rest of the neighborhood goes up considerably.

Your ultimate goal is neighborhood penetration and business presence.

Doug
Old 09-13-2013, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Door to door can be difficult, but in the end the skills you gain from it make you an overall better salesperson. Being able to take an immediately negative door answerer and turning the interaction around into a sale - this is only possible when you can leave your ego at the door. Remain positive and keep your dignity. People are impressed by door to door salesmen. I'll bet you half of the people on this thread who say that it is unprofessional would be scared to try it if they had to. It's a quick and effective way to build your business. Be sure to bring testimonials, perhaps some pictures, and remember your selling points. Remember - you are out here to offer a professional service that could be doing somebody a favor! If you take pride in your work and provide quality then it makes door to door that much easier. Good luck and keep your chin up!
Old 09-16-2013, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey I'm new to this forum but I have noticed that you seem very helpful etc and just wanted to say thanks for your info! -Jason Down to Earth Lawn Care
Old 09-17-2013, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Its great to see some veterans weigh their positive opinion about door to door. If this concept is working for some of us, why do you feel compelled to jab someone in the throat for being successful. If you have had bad results door to door, it is all in your approach. Not everyone is gonna kiss your A$$ and do business with you. Like someone before me posted, its a numbers game, the more you knock, the more opportunity you will find. I can't believe people would jump on a guy for growing his business. We are new to this industry and if "you" pay attention, you just might learn something from us. I have learned a lot on this site and I appreciate the forum. You need to consider you are a salesperson whether you want to believe or not. You have to ask for the business. While your cutting your clients lawn, ask them about aeration/overseeding and the benefits. Since you are already doing business with them, price it where you still make money, and now you are providing them one more service and keep them from using more and more of your competitors. Like I said in my first post, I have a sales background and maximize this strength every opportunity I get. If you are not selling to your clients and their neighbors you are missing the boat. Guess what, they see you every week.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Came across this thread and even though it's 2 years old, I have some advice that has worked for me. I few weeks ago I bought some used snapper lawn mowers from a guy selling his business because he got a job in corporate america. I'm 19 and am just starting out so he gave me some advice and told me how he started. All he did was put business cards on doors, he said on spring break, he would put out about 3000-4000 and ended up with close to 50 new customers and almost everyone that called him, used him. He was just doing mow and blow for about $25 a yard, plus he said he would upsell some fert for $35, which you might want to check your laws before you do any fert. or herbicide. Anyway his first year he had 50 accounts, his second he was upto 80 and had to hire someone and his 3rd he got up to 150 and beyond. At that time he had a 3 man crew and said they could do postage stamp lots in about 7 minutes each. And his only advertising was business cards on doors, no flyers or any other junk. Most people just throw flyers away, but business cards people tend to keep on there fridge, even if they don't need you right away.
Now I just put out about 120 cards today, and I just used masking tape and put them on the front door,(use masking tape) after I finished, I had two calls and one I went and gave a quote on for $175 and it's for a cleanup before they sell the house, another I'm giving a quote on Saturday on a house for weekly mowing, that's in a upperclass neighborhood that has postage stamp lawns. I also have my family and friends post stuff on Facebook, twitter and Instagram, and that has landed me a few jobs already. Another big thing is selling your self! I'm pretty shy and have a hard time doing that, but there nothing weird about introducing yourself to someone and giving an elevator pitch, it can only benefit you! I'm in this speech class and today we had a party with a few guest speakers, we then had to give them a personal business card and an elevator speech to them while the party was going on. I ended up giving my business card to about 7 peopelle in the class and every single needed or knew someone that needed a lawn service. So in about one day, I got 2 jobs, and had about 10 that were pretty promising.
I've gone on enough, sorry about that I am just excited about this year!
Posted via Mobile Device