Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-14-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpropm View Post
Im gonna say the heck with it and start knocking on doors.
Posted via Mobile Device
Just remember lawnpro not to get discouraged and make sure to syke urself up before you hit the streets because attitude plays a big part. During the weekdays I usually dont start selling until 11:30am at the earliest and sell until 6pm 5 days a week. I usually only land 1 sometimes 2 jobs between 11:30am-3pm but after 3pm is when kids are getting home from school and people are usually home at that time...so after 3pm ill get 2-3 more jobs sometimes more. But on saturdays i sell from 10am until it gets dark and somebody answers almost every door i knock on because everybody is off work and home.

Keep me posted and let me know how it works out for you
Old 12-14-2012, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthorn0 View Post
Just remember lawnpro not to get discouraged and make sure to syke urself up before you hit the streets because attitude plays a big part. During the weekdays I usually dont start selling until 11:30am at the earliest and sell until 6pm 5 days a week. I usually only land 1 sometimes 2 jobs between 11:30am-3pm but after 3pm is when kids are getting home from school and people are usually home at that time...so after 3pm ill get 2-3 more jobs sometimes more. But on saturdays i sell from 10am until it gets dark and somebody answers almost every door i knock on because everybody is off work and home.

guess Im gonna meed to get some new hiking boots ill send you a pm
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2012, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 80 yrd job is in a yearly package I do for a hotel. I generally say no to jobs less than 10 yards unless they want plantings or some other services to go along with it. This year I laid 960 yards and am planning to brek 1200 next year. We break it down for the customers. Trimming is a different item in the estimate form that way they can get exactly what they want.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2012, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillie View Post
The 80 yrd job is in a yearly package I do for a hotel. I generally say no to jobs less than 10 yards unless they want plantings or some other services to go along with it. This year I laid 960 yards and am planning to brek 1200 next year. We break it down for the customers. Trimming is a different item in the estimate form that way they can get exactly what they want.
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you do alot commercial jobs? How do you get your foot in the door with them?
Old 12-15-2012, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

If your worried about upsetting people, you can stay home and do nothing.

I get that too, " can't you read my NO SOLICITING SIGN?" .....Yep.

I HAVE to do major things as no one knows my business really exists. Talking to people is a natural way of doing things, so it makes sense to me.

However, I don't like it when people leave C.R.A.P on my car.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthorn0 View Post

When do you start knocking January/ February?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-29-2012, 03:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Just quit a job that required me to go door-to-door 100% of the time. It's definitely a good way to make sales. Of course, some people get angry that you're at their house, but you'll always find a few that are interested.

It's discouraging when you go all day without a single sale, but when you get a few, it makes all the difference.

My tips:
Know what you're going to say before you knock on the door. Rehearse your introduction.
Wear clean clothing appropriate for the job
Remember, you have to sell yourself first before you can sell your product.
The company I worked for had pocketed folders with their logo and matching business cards with all information in them (business licenses, state licenses, BBB Accreditation, copies of insurance, etc.) That may be a good idea for you.

Door-to-door takes a certain type of person. I've been cussed, had the police called on me, spit on, pretty much anything you can think of, but it's all worth it because of the people that took the time to listen to what I had to say and acted like adults.

Good luck no matter what you decide. Flyers are effective, but they don't replace door-to-door.

'04 Silverado
77"x12' Trailer

John Deere Z-Trak 737
2 Echo SRM-225 Trimmers
Husqvarna 125BT Blower
Echo HC-150 Hedge Trimmer
Echo CS-370 16" Chainsaw
22" Toro Recycler
More to Come Soon!

My Website: www.hartsellelawncare.com
Old 12-29-2012, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Many cities require door to door solicitors to go through a back ground check and get a permit. You can be fined or arrested. My city has two types, one to hang flyer's and one to actually knock on doors. My HOA is always sending out scare notices about scams involving door to door solicitors. They encourage calling the police particularly if they do not have the photo id and permit.

I have done door to door but do not like it. I do not like people knocking on my door so perhaps that is why I do not like to do it to others. I am sure it is effective, I always said the key to sales is not waiting for the client to come to you. However, I like commercial sales much better than door to door.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:49 PM

Handing out brochures door to door is usually more effective than selling door to door. It's about finding that happy medium.

For example, stated several times earlier....neat appearance, well-groomed, photo-id and a smile with brochure in hand...

Knock on door. Owner answers door.

"Hi, I'm Sean, the owner of ABC Landscaping. I wanted to introduce myself and give you this brochure. If there is anything you ever need, please do not hesitate to contact us. Have a great day."

You start to walk away....

If they want to buy, they will strike up a conversation. At the very least they have something in their hand they did not have just a few moments earlier.

Door to door sales can be effective - time consuming, but effective.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adams View Post
Handing out brochures door to door is usually more effective than selling door to door. It's about finding that happy medium.

For example, stated several times earlier....neat appearance, well-groomed, photo-id and a smile with brochure in hand...

Knock on door. Owner answers door.

"Hi, I'm Sean, the owner of ABC Landscaping. I wanted to introduce myself and give you this brochure. If there is anything you ever need, please do not hesitate to contact us. Have a great day."

You start to walk away....

If they want to buy, they will strike up a conversation. At the very least they have something in their hand they did not have just a few moments earlier.

Door to door sales can be effective - time consuming, but effective.
I like this one. This doesn't sound like soliciting, this is saying hello and introducing yourself. It is time consuming but you can pick and choose where you want to marry precisely ...
Thanks Sean
Posted via Mobile Device