Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2012, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Redmax EBZ8500RH worth it?

I currently have a homelite 25cc backpack blower and spend pretty much a half day blowing leaves into piles for leaf removals this past fall/winter. Even if there's a tiny twig or two in the leaves it won't blow it. Even to blow grass clippings its usually wide open. I also have ran into the issue when I park my vehicle on the curb to cut a clients lawn when I edge grass clippings sometimes go under my car some or even from the mower and my blower isn't quite powerful enough to move them onto the lawn from under my car. The same time I was blowing everything off I saw the neighbors lawn guy blowing under his vehicle and he had the EBZ8500 and you could see the grass clippings flying into the lawn.

I believe its time I upgraded and since I have the money to invest in the best.

I really like Redmax and from what I've been told the EBZ8500 is very powerful and will easily handle leaf removals and of course for moving grass clippings around.

I'd just like some input before I put out that kind of money on a blower.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes the Remax 8500 is worth it. I paid 550 for mine. I bought one 8500 first to see how it would perform. After using the one on a few properties during the 2011 leaf removal season, a second blower was purchased.
The power behind the redmax blower is remarkable and the blowers have paid for themselves, by reducing the amount of time to take to clean properties.
I would highly recommend remax. ALso, I have not had any problems with them.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The 8500 is the same thing as the Husqvarna 580. They're the two most powerful blowers on the market right now (CFM wise), but you need to be aware that there have been numerous reports here and elsewhere of the 8500's either blowing up, or seizing up. The factory is taking care of them as they happen. They are aware that they have a problem and are working to fix it. It is mainly caused by leaves getting stuck to the outside of the intake screen which makes them run hot enough to seize up. Just do a search on the site and you'll find lots of info about it.

I have a Husky 570 BTS, which is the same thing as the RM 7500, and it's all you could want. It has almost as much CFM as the 580/8500, but it has higher MPH which helps with moving stuck down debris. There have been no reports of any troubles with the 570/7500's that I am aware of. I flat out love mine. They also cost $50 less than the 8500/580's.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
I currently have a homelite 25cc backpack blower and spend pretty much a half day blowing leaves into piles for leaf removals this past fall/winter. Even if there's a tiny twig or two in the leaves it won't blow it. Even to blow grass clippings its usually wide open. I also have ran into the issue when I park my vehicle on the curb to cut a clients lawn when I edge grass clippings sometimes go under my car some or even from the mower and my blower isn't quite powerful enough to move them onto the lawn from under my car. The same time I was blowing everything off I saw the neighbors lawn guy blowing under his vehicle and he had the EBZ8500 and you could see the grass clippings flying into the lawn.

I believe its time I upgraded and since I have the money to invest in the best.

I really like Redmax and from what I've been told the EBZ8500 is very powerful and will easily handle leaf removals and of course for moving grass clippings around.

I'd just like some input before I put out that kind of money on a blower.
absolutely! Yes, go for it you will not be sorry!
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Old 02-20-2012, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you for the advice! I just read the post about fuel consumption and really one tank per hour during leaf clean ups isn't that bad (about what I'm using or actually less and I'm using a 25cc blower!) but I'm sure the 8500 uses a little more since the engine is bigger.

When I blow grass clippings with the homelite I'm currently WOT all the time except for some walking but with the 8500 I'm sure I would be just a little above idle and would see the same results I'm seeing now at WOT so I'm sure I'd be saving fuel which is great since its so expensive!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is simply no comparison between what you are using and the 8500

Like I said above though, don't overlook the 7500 just because you may want the biggest blower out right now. The 7500 has had no reports of problems, and you won't believe what it'll do. That $50 saving over the 8500 will buy quite a few tank fulls of gas too, and they are actually very close in performance with one having higher CFM's and the other having higher MPH. I own one, but have ran them both.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
There is simply no comparison between what you are using and the 8500

Like I said above though, don't overlook the 7500 just because you may want the biggest blower out right now. The 7500 has had no reports of problems, and you won't believe what it'll do. That $50 saving over the 8500 will buy quite a few tank fulls of gas too, and they are actually very close in performance with one having higher CFM's and the other having higher MPH. I own one, but have ran them both.
100 nire cfm is just that 100 more is it worth $50.00 yes. Especially, when you think of the time is save, say 60 seconds a job x 10 a day that is 10 minutes a day x 12 days =$60.00 bucks the wish price per hour we all want to bill. So pay back is in 1 week., if you only save 1/2 that time then pay back is in 2 weeks. OR, 10 minutes faster to that cold one at the end of the day!
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Old 02-20-2012, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph02813 View Post
100 nire cfm is just that 100 more is it worth $50.00 yes. Especially, when you think of the time is save, say 60 seconds a job x 10 a day that is 10 minutes a day x 12 days =$60.00 bucks the wish price per hour we all want to bill. So pay back is in 1 week., if you only save 1/2 that time then pay back is in 2 weeks. OR, 10 minutes faster to that cold one at the end of the day!
I understand your feelings, but the truth is, but I believe it is based off published specs, which is what most have to go by since not everyone demo's them before buying. Since BP's are kinda my weakness, I demo as many as I can on real debris. I have ran them both (7500/8500), and there's little difference in real performance on the exact same debris, too little to be easily detected or actually made use of. That was why I went with the 570 vs the 580 (7500 vs 8500). It's a couple lbs lighter, does the same basic thing and is easier on fuel.

PS- since mine is lighter, I can walk a couple FPS faster than you, so we'll get to that cold one at just about the same time, and since mine is lighter, I'll be able to lift that cold one easier.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I understand your feelings, but the truth is, but I believe it is based off published specs, which is what most have to go by since not everyone demo's them before buying. Since BP's are kinda my weakness, I demo as many as I can on real debris. I have ran them both (7500/8500), and there's little difference in real performance on the exact same debris, too little to be easily detected or actually made use of. That was why I went with the 570 vs the 580 (7500 vs 8500). It's a couple lbs lighter, does the same basic thing and is easier on fuel.

PS- since mine is lighter, I can walk a couple FPS faster than you, so we'll get to that cold one at just about the same time, and since mine is lighter, I'll be able to lift that cold one easier.
Hey, That's cheatin!!!!!!
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Old 02-20-2012, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Shindy EB 802 and I am looking to upgrade to 2 8500's this fall. I tried the 8500 last fall and it was more powerful than both my shindy and my 8hp push blower. I would say that they are definitely worth the investment. There is no comparison between your blower and the redmax. If you do leaf cleanups, you will be wondering how you ever got by without one.