Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2012, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
Even if you don't find a deduct meter feasible cost wise it still seems smart to me to put in flow meter to able to diagnose water issues between the irrigation and other water usage.
We not only have a couple of flow meters , but two loggers to measure flow and the electrical logger to indicate pump activation. No sense fooling around unless you've got the right instruments.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2012, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I only remember a few residential systems I worked on with meters larger than one-inch. 50 gpm was more than most of those lawns needed.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I only remember a few residential systems I worked on with meters larger than one-inch. 50 gpm was more than most of those lawns needed.
i have a yearly ag project that has a 1.5" meter on it.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had one that had a poly main line on a 1-1/2 meter, and no master valve, either. Some lovely leaks on that pup. It used Thompson heads that sprayed with enough force to kill foliage.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I had one that had a poly main line on a 1-1/2 meter, and no master valve, either. Some lovely leaks on that pup. It used Thompson heads that sprayed with enough force to kill foliage.
over the past few years we have installed twin esp controllers (customers choice) and 1.5" valves to control impacts for the field irrigation (approximately 8 acres) installed irrigation for dust control and barn fire protection hydrants. arena dust control and this year we are extending some mains and retrofiting new risers and falcon heads.

doesn't sound like much but for this area the application is functional and cost effective. we are throwing 60-70 feet which is near head to head on an existing system that was falling short by 50% before.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

most tap fee around here are still easily recoverable over a couple of seasons.

The bigger the tap, say 2" you can pay 8-9k or so in wake county with the "nutrient fees" and the tap installation itself.

split service taps 3/4" or 1" are always the cheapest route, but not all cities allow them.

the state of nc requires a separate meter for irrigation regardless of which county you live in. although not every county
obides by the state rule, the closer you get to raleigh the stricter the codes are.

Since 1994
www.kosterirrigation.com
Old 02-19-2012, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that the last time we had to have an 8" main hot tapped and a meter set it ran about $12K. That included a 2" meter and having the city water department tear up the street and repair it to get to the 8" main. Most commercial jobs out here have 2" meters on them. They just go in that way when the properties are built.

Hell, even my house has a 2" meter! I think that was only done because it's a big house and it has fire sprinklers in it.... and I have 2.5 acres of landscape too.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have a few towns and cities around here that require the second meter for irrigation and outdoor spickets so that they can tell if the homeowner is watering during any watering restrictions or watering bans. I was talking to the guys from one of the water departments and they were saying the city was thinking of implementing a seperate irrigation/outdoor spicket water costs during bans. During drought months people with the seperate meter would still be allowed to water but at 300-400% higher the per gallon costs, which would be convenient for those with money who want to keep the yard green