Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-01-2002, 12:28 PM

Cut off saw or compound miter ?

Hi everyone,

I was looking to get a saw to cut some angle iron and maybe some small diameter square and round stock. I wanted to get the most bang for the buck with the saw. My question is : Why not get a compound miter and put a cutoff wheel on it (which would allow me to use the saw for wood too) instead of a cut-off saw which would be limited to metal and masonary ? It looks to me like the major difference is in the fence, the cut-off's have a vice from what I have seen. Anything else I should look for ? This will see real light duty so I will look for a "homeowner" priced unit most likely.

Any advice will be appreciated !

jeffyr
Old 12-01-2002, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Most metal saws are 14" wood 12" I don't know if speeds are the same. Clamp is very important. I would by metal for metal and wood for wood. Whats a finger worth?

Mark
Old 12-01-2002, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1grnlwn
Whats a finger worth?
Which one ?

Good point Mark.

jeffyr
Old 12-01-2002, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Some of the better metal cut-off saws have sealed motors so that the filings do not affect it so much.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

The replies are right on. Get a metal saw for metal. A wood saw will be destoryed in short order. I want a dewalt dry cut saw myself. The blades last a lot longer.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

What's a dry cut saw? Do you mean a chop saw?

I have a Dewault chopsaw and I'm not impressed by it. Fence always bind up and it lacks power.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is a dry cut saw. It has a carbide tipped metal blade instead of an abrasive wheel...
Old 12-13-2002, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

No no no don't use a standard power miter saw for cutting metal you will have the electric motor burn up on ya from a fire you always get fine sawdust particals in a miter saw you start cutting metal having sparks fly one spark can have the machine alight.

A chopsaw for metal isn't that expensive and will come in handy for cutting about anything thats too thin to cut with a torch like exhaust pipe and small bar stock it also works good for cutting redi rod.

We have a Bosch saw in our shop its not too bad you can't force it or it will bog I have used a Makita and its no different, one thing is you don't want the wheel to bind or it may shatter

In our shop we also have a power hacksaw for cutting larger objects like pipe up to 10"s in diameter it works not too bad we can cut stacks of angle iron in one pass.
Old 12-14-2002, 05:24 AM

I ordered the metal chopsaw.

Thanks for the info and opinions.

jeff
Old 01-14-2003, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One other consideration - the heat and sparks from cutting metal tend to melt the crap out of any plastic components on these saws. Never used my miter for metal - but do notice that there is a fair amount of meltable plastic on it (balde guard, etc....)
You might want to get an old circular saw and outfit it with a metal/abraisive wheel. That's worked really well for me - cuts well and if it goes south, how cares. Good luck. Northern Tool has some chop saws on sale for about $250-300.