Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-09-2000, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

this is funny, Kirby is told he's getting screwed for billing monthly, he shows how he's not getting screwed and how he make more money that the per cut chargers. Now he's being told he's screwing his customers because he bills monthly? boy you guys are hard to please, da** if you do da** if you dont. It looks like he's doing ok 2 me.
Old 08-09-2000, 10:31 PM
Millenium Member

Todd, I figure in 34 lawn mowings a year. I include the following on most, not all estimates:
  • Mowing
  • Edging
  • Trimming
  • Blowing
  • Crabgrass pre-emergent
  • Weed & Feed
  • Fertilizer 3 times a year (often applied with herbicides)
  • Iron during summer
  • Winterizor
  • 1 soil test

any additional services are billed separate at the time of service unless it has been added to the yearly contract total.

Todd, I would test the waters on converting your current customers so you don't loose too many at a time. They may like it they may not. It sounds like most people up north are not willing to pay or it has not been presented in the proper manner. I have several customers that are from up north who pay every month all year round with no problems. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2000, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No i didn't get it on the spot she's going to talk to her husband. I kind of hope i don't unless they're willing to add on services to get their lawn in shape, it looks like crap now. That was just for mowing price. I'm thinking of only keeping people that will go with the 12/mths with the fertilizer package but that's not definite yet.Just a small monthly bill if only mowing. I'm not going to push too hard on everybdy but some of them i could care less if i lose them. I have mentioned it to some of my customers already(the good ones) and they seemed pretty responsive to it.Just checked my cutting schedule from last year, cutting didn't really kick in until 3rd week of april and stopped 2nd week of Nov. 30 weeks total, started 1rst week of april this year, with mild winters could cut till Dec.,I might have to rethink the total cuts?
Old 08-10-2000, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

God you guys do things differently than we do here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Here we work all year around. Everybody here that I know of charges a flat monthly fee for cut,edge,and clean up. Additional services extra. Myself, i include weed control and fertilizing 2 times a year, spring and fall, with my monthly billings.

It's all averages out for us. In the spring and early summer is when the grass grows a lot. By late summer through fall, due to poor watering practices, the grasses don't grow so much. Winter is a piece of cake. If it's raining and can't run my mower, pick up debries and get the heck out of there.

The ones that I make the money on are my weekly clients. Nov-Mar, grass doesn't warrant weekly mowings,but I do other stuff to earn my money. If I take you on as a weekly client, I do make them understand that it all averages out for the year. I don't charge for the extra time it takes me to cut a lawn in the spring time. I don't charge extra when all the tree's are dropping leaves. I just don't clear as much that paticular month. But winter comes, my 30 minute visit drops down to 5 to 10 minutes. Makes up for the times a spend 60 minutes, when should of spent 30. It's all averages out.
John
Old 08-10-2000, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gus,

I'm out here with you, and know *exactly* what you mean. That's the way it works on the Central Coast...

-TGC
Old 08-10-2000, 02:29 AM
Millenium Member

John, exactly...I agree and that's how I sell also.
Old 08-10-2000, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

"I was brought up with 'a fair days work for a fair days pay' mentality."

It seems here in New England most of the customers were brought up this way also. And its one reason why pay one price is a hard sell here. Also too many variables: hard to predict snowfall, and that dictates for the most part how many cuts per year you will have. Also leaf pickup is variable season to season.

Makes sense where the work is year round, but IMO not up in the snow belt.
Old 08-10-2000, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawrence you keep me laughing man!!! Its one thing if you have to pick up branches but to charge for a double cut? You can't penalize a customer due to rain. We cut the next day in most cases. That can be a good way to lose a customer inless its spelled out in your agreement.
Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance
Old 08-10-2000, 07:29 PM

I cut weekly, 10 days and 2 weeks max. No contracts. Take off jan 15 thru march 1st. What happens during dry periods? You going to charge less money if it takes less time? I don't change my price during rainy periods or drought. Who need conflict like that? Its just part of this business. If the grass get high before it is scheduled. Some of my customers will call me and ask if i can come sooner. I am alway happy to fit them in. I love it when a costomer is anxious to have their grass cut. As for the 2 week rainy high grass yards. I just cut the stuff higher than usual so it won't clump so bad. When it drys up a while I then lower the blade the next time I cut if possible. 2 weeks is all alot of people around here can have their grass cut. Try to raise their price in the same year they will laugh at you. Due to the long droughts here most people will not sighn contracts
Old 08-10-2000, 07:37 PM

I cut weekly, 10 days and 2 weeks max. No contracts. Take off jan 15 thru march 1st. What happens during dry periods? You going to charge less money if it takes less time? I don't change my price during rainy periods or drought. Who need conflict like that? Its just part of this business. If the grass get high before it is scheduled. Some of my customers will call me and ask if i can come sooner. I am alway happy to fit them in. I love it when a costomer is anxious to have their grass cut. As for the 2 week rainy high grass yards. I just cut the stuff higher than usual so it won't clump so bad. When it drys up a while I then lower the blade the next time I cut if possible. 2 weeks is all alot of people around here can have their grass cut. Try to raise their price in the same year they will laugh at you. Due to the long droughts here most people will not sighn contracts