Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-11-2012, 02:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Aphids are doing our Crepe myrtles in. They end up with this guee mess all over each leave and eventually the leave will fall off. I started spraying a few weeks ago to keep them from getting into my flowers.
Those Crepes look like they been butchered up pretty good every winter. The shape is all F'd up. In ten years I've never had a bad aphid issue on the three Natchez Crepes at my place until the July rain event. My Natchez Crepes went on a growth spurt and the aphids tapped into all the extra nutrients that were flowing to feed the new growth. The aphid population did a China syndrome effect. I wish the lady bugs population was able to react as quickly.

Usually on the better Natchez, Muskogee, and other Indian named varieties aphids are not an issue and they never get powdery mildew. They will always have a small aphid population but it never gets to the point where honey dew starts to sprinkle down on everything.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 08-11-2012, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
Those Crepes look like they been butchered up pretty good every winter. The shape is all F'd up..
Kinda funny we had this property for 6 years and we have never did anythign to them. Late last year a big pear tree went down and suddenly those crepes were visable and with asphids. Now...I am feeding them and sprayign to see if I can get them growing and blooming. Those big white blooming crepes were almost stripped of leaves. Big Trugreen is going to spray this next week on the 47 on this HOA.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Kinda funny we had this property for 6 years and we have never did anythign to them. Late last year a big pear tree went down and suddenly those crepes were visable and with asphids. Now...I am feeding them and sprayign to see if I can get them growing and blooming. Those big white blooming crepes were almost stripped of leaves. Big Trugreen is going to spray this next week on the 47 on this HOA.
They may have been shaded to death so badly that they never grew since the last company went Ginsu on them. Probably only 1/3rd of the Crepes planted are the better Natchez, Muskogee, Tuscarora, Basham, and Catawba varieties.

All Crepe Myrtles will have a small population of aphids at the very least but only the lesser ones will get both severe aphid issues and powdery mildew as well. Stay away from the Dwarfs, miniature, and weeping Crepes since they are all mildew prone.

When people ask me what is the best thing to help their inferior Crepes I tell them to trim the trunk off at ground level and it will stop all futures problems.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 08-14-2012, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We are having trouble with soil washing off these burms and we plan to sod them in the winter. So as a stop gap to hold the soil we buy pallets of reject sod for $20. King ranch sod distributor is right next to our shop so we can stop to see what they have.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2012, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is my favorite kind of grass to cut.....nut grass. What a stand and it just got dry enough to get into the bottom of these holding ponds.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2012, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

There are multiple kinds of native sedges some of which are used in landscape projects such as Lawn Sedge, Berkly sedge, and others (dozen types). McNeil Growers (Pat McNeil) is a big sedge grower. What you are likely seeing is a sedge but it's not Nutsedge.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
There are multiple kinds of native sedges some of which are used in landscape projects such as Lawn Sedge, Berkly sedge, and others (dozen types). McNeil Growers (Pat McNeil) is a big sedge grower. What you are likely seeing is a sedge but it's not Nutsedge.

Got any idea how this could have got so wide spread and pretty nice? In this particular ponds it was bone dry all last year and nothing grew. This year is sit in water until this past week. Kinda surprising to me was it cut pretty darn easy. The blade was getting a nice clean cut on it. Is McNeil in our area?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Got any idea how this could have got so wide spread and pretty nice? In this particular ponds it was bone dry all last year and nothing grew. This year is sit in water until this past week. Kinda surprising to me was it cut pretty darn easy. The blade was getting a nice clean cut on it. Is McNeil in our area?
Pat is down in my neck of the woods just off FM1626 on Twin Creeks Road. One of his sedges he has trademarked as "Lawn Sedge" and it will fill in nicely. Everything Pat grows are in 4" pots.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is kinda interested unit that was brought in for restore but the guy didn't want to paint it I think he put $1800 in getting it back going.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2012, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This guy is running all over our neighborhood. I see him every day. And Hustler hardly ever seen. He was in the bank when I was there. No worry about how his stuff looks.
Attached Images